Agree Agree:  2
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Have you ever...?

While we wait for the AOSP, maybe we should see how good we are.

Have you ever?

Hit four straight aces to win a game.
    Hit four straight service returns to win a game (that your opponent didnít touch).
    Hit a stop volley with so much backspin it came back into your court.
    Hit a half volley between your legs for a winner (ala Goran)
    Hit a Willie (between the legs) for a clean winner.
    Hit a passing shot around the net post (and under the let cord) (most of the times, for hackers like us, this would be in doubles)
    Hit a lob volley for a winner.
    Slam dunk a smash (ala Pete)
    Track down a lob, end up behind the base line, and hit a smash for a winner (ala Andre)
    Hit a mid court smash, on a ball that was so low you had to kneel on the court (Vilas used to do this one. A LOT!)
    Dive for a passing shot and hit a volley winner, after which you tumbled (ala Boris)
    Smack a ball so hard your racket broke (we are not pros, so our old rackets do breakdown)
    Skid on a hard court to get to a ball (and actually did)
    Hit a second serve ace
    Hit a backhand overhead so hard it bounced off the court.

Or just tell us what wacky, crazy shot you have hit that you know it was more luck than skills.

Re: Have you ever...?

I've done all of the ones starting with the lob volley winner and none of the ones before it (although the backhand overhead I head bounced through an open gate, not over a 10 foot fence or anything). I've still never hit a successful between the legs shot. I'm terrified. Seems like a good way to...lose something.
    Avatar: Munchin's Favorite Matches - #10 - Andre Agassi vs. Pete Sampras - 2000 Australian Open SF

"If I didn't play tennis, I would probably have to go see a psychiatrist" - Arthur Ashe

Tour Champion
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Hit a passing shot around the net post (and under the let cord) (most of the times, for hackers like us, this would be in doubles)
    Slam dunk a smash (ala Pete)
    Dive for a passing shot and hit a volley winner, after which you tumbled (ala Boris)
    Hit a second serve ace

I can't imagine doing some of the others. One oddity was hitting a first serve with spin that broke my doubles partners glasses when it hit him in the side of the head and he hadn't even turned around. Still can't figure out the physics of that one.

Dive for a passing shot and hit a volley winner, after which you tumbled (ala Boris) - not sure I was diving so much as lost my balance and fell due to momentum
    Hit a second serve ace - more a consequence of the weakness of the opponent - since my serve speed would probably not even register, more a result of good placement.
    My Happy Place

Hit four straight aces to win a game.-once. It was sooo awesome. Well, to me at least
    Hit a passing shot around the net post

I think I may have hit a second serve ace, but I can't remember for sure

I have hit second serve aces where the ball bounced twice before it got to the returner.

Count it.
    It's hard out here for a Zuz.

Hit a passing shot around the net post- To me, this is no big deal, if you're pulled out real wide. Not that I've done this more than once or twice.
    Hit a mid court smash, on a ball that was so low you had to kneel on the court. Sadly, this is how I hit most of my smashes. And groundstrokes, for that matter.
    Skid on a hard court to get to a ball (and actually did) I don't see this at our level as a good thing.
    Hit a second serve ace See salmon's post for explanation. Albeit- it coulda been 3-4 bounces. Also, at best, I've hit 5 aces in my life, first or second serve. Seriously.

Or just tell us what wacky, crazy shot you have hit that you know it was more luck than skills. This would define pretty much every single tennis shot that I have ever hit.
    Last edited by nelslus; 01-04-2010 at 08:42 AM.
    Old News= Madison Brengle. New News- It's All About Amanda Fink Chichi Scholl, FULL CIRCLE OF LIFE MADISON BRENGLE BABY!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by oohsalmon View Post
    I have hit second serve aces where the ball bounced twice before it got to the returner.

Count it.
    I have been on the receiving end of one of his second serve aces.
    Not fun.
    Last edited by Jay; 01-04-2010 at 08:46 AM.

TATChat Moderator hurricanejeanne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Do I get any points for double faulting 4 times in a row?
    There's a room where the light won't find you
    Holding hands while the walls come tumbling down
    When they do
    I'll be right behind you

Quote Originally Posted by Jessie181 View Post
    I have been on the receiving end of one of his second serve aces.
    Not fun.
    No kidding. You can be standing on the service line and still not be able to reach the damned thing until the second bounce.
    Old News= Madison Brengle. New News- It's All About Amanda Fink Chichi Scholl, FULL CIRCLE OF LIFE MADISON BRENGLE BABY!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by oohsalmon View Post

Count it.
    Me too!
    Meet again we do, old foe...

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

9 Dragons Hexa Champion, Magic Towers Solitaire Champion Scotty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

when I saw the title of this thread, the first thing that came to mind was

"... been mellow?"

a nevernude
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

I know I've gotten to a few balls at the net that I probably should not have. My reflexes at the net have surprised me on a few occasions.

And I like going for aces on second serve. I double fault too much as a result, but I get a few good aces in every now and then.

Scrub King
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

I have hit 4 aces to win a game.
    I actually hit a volley that came back onto my side yesterday, but it was by complete accident.
    And I've done everything after, and including, the lob volley winner except for the dive and breaking my racket(I generally use the ground for that)

Scrub King
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hurricanejeanne View Post
    Do I get any points for double faulting 4 times in a row?
    My record is 7 in a row.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast