Agree Agree:  2
Likes Likes:  2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Have you ever...?

There is one question missing from the list:

-In doubles, have you ever hit your partner in the back with your serve?

I have.
    Towel Avatar, do your thing!

TATChat Moderator hurricanejeanne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TennisBen21 View Post
    My record is 7 in a row.
    When it gets really bad I'm either resorting to the Elena Dementieva sidewinder or, worse comes to worse, the Martina Hingis "what the hell" underhand.
    There's a room where the light won't find you
    Holding hands while the walls come tumbling down
    When they do
    I'll be right behind you

Scrub King
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hurricanejeanne View Post
    When it gets really bad I'm either resorting to the Elena Dementieva sidewinder or, worse comes to worse, the Martina Hingis "what the hell" underhand.
    I was already using the Dementieva sidewinder as my normal second-serve so I didn't really have worse serve to go with. My serve was a MESS!!

Quote Originally Posted by hurricanejeanne View Post
    Me too!
    I literally mouth, "oh, f*** it" when I use the Martina Hingis underhand.

I, too, have hit 4 double faults in a row

This is fun...

Hit four straight aces to win a game. (I have a big serve, when it's on)
    Hit a stop volley with so much backspin it came back into your court. (I had never done this before this year and it happened twice in one week.)
    Hit a passing shot around the net post (and under the let cord)
    Hit a lob volley for a winner. ( )
    Slam dunk a smash (ala Pete)
    Track down a lob, end up behind the base line, and hit a smash for a winner
    Dive for a passing shot and hit a volley winner, after which you tumbled (I've played so much volleyball, that I automatically roll whenever i hit the ground. I'm 6'2" so people find this hilarious, like a circus animal doing a somersault)
    Smack a ball your foot with your racket in frustration so hard your racket broke (of this, i am not proud )
    Skid on a hard court to get to a ball (and actually did) (especially running to my forehand side, for some reason)
    Hit a second serve ace (my second serve to the deuce court slices really wide some days)
    Hit a backhand overhead so hard it bounced off the court.

I'd like to add:
    Hit myself in the leg so hard on my serve follow through that I bled. ( )
    Ducked under the protection of the net holding my racket up in defense against an opponents smash and accidentally hit a winner. (much to the relief of my doubles partner who hit a short lob)
    Miss hit a return of serve so high that I have to squint to see it, then watch it land in the opposing corner of a very frustrated opponent. (I hit this one so often my friends have named it the "Cuh-Waffle".)
    Served 4 double faults in a game and still held. (A tale of two servers)
    Last edited by --cj--; 01-04-2010 at 04:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles View Post
    There is one question missing from the list:

-In doubles, have you ever hit your partner in the back with your serve?

I have.
    My husband hit me in the ear one time on his serve (during a league match). That one hurt!

Quote Originally Posted by --cj-- View Post
    This is fun...

I'd like to add:
    Hit myself in the leg so hard on my serve follow through that I bled. ( )
    Ashamed to admit I hit myself in the nose (while wearing sunglasses) trying to scoop a low volley and drew blood; it was a tough one to explain the next week at work.
    My Happy Place

Blog Entries

I did four consecutive aces to win a game and a second serve ace as well I am pretty sure both happened more than once, because my serve used to be super effective. Sadly, that is all over now.
    About a year ago, we got a new coach who thought my service technique was horrendous and made me change it completly. Grip, ball toss, actual service motion, everything. result: my serve now sucks. (it does look prettier and more tennis-y, though)

:
    I think of the other things I have only done the dive volley. Which was really stupid, because it really, really hurt. sadly, when on tennis court, all my brain is capable of thinking is: must.get.ball. that, combined with the fact that I am incapable of keeping my balance on carpet (especially when not taking the time to finish a step before changing directions) has made indoor season pretty painful for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
    when I saw the title of this thread, the first thing that came to mind was

"... been mellow?"
    A curse on you, Scotty!!!!
    I read your post and now that horrible song has been stuck in my head all day! And I always hated it, from the beginning

ps: I didn't include the HIT YOUR PARTNER IN THE HEAD WITH A SERVE because I thought that was a gimme.

a nevernude
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

I've been hit by the ball in doubles before.

I have also swung and completely missed a service toss before. Embarrassing stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
    when I saw the title of this thread, the first thing that came to mind was

"... been mellow?"
    The song is, have you NEVER been mellow.

Hand in your Olivia Fan Club card.
    Old News= Madison Brengle. New News- It's All About Amanda Fink Chichi Scholl, FULL CIRCLE OF LIFE MADISON BRENGLE BABY!!!!!!!!

TATChat Moderator hurricanejeanne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I was already using the Dementieva sidewinder as my normal second-serve so I didn't really have worse serve to go with. My serve was a MESS!!
    I also hit with a lot of spin, like Nadal Clay Court Spin, so my serve IF it goes in lands short as hell, like you can volley it. And that's my good serve, otherwise I'm full on Dementieva sidewinder.

Tobias, I miss a service toss on a regular basis.
    There's a room where the light won't find you
    Holding hands while the walls come tumbling down
    When they do
    I'll be right behind you

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

9 Dragons Hexa Champion, Magic Towers Solitaire Champion Scotty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nelslus View Post
    The song is, have you NEVER been mellow.

Hand in your Olivia Fan Club card.
    really? Never knew that.

meh, outside of "Xanadu," I won't pretend to be an ONJ expert.

But ever/never is much less egregious than my favorite mis-sung lyric of all time. A good friend in college confessed that she sang "bald-headed woman! bald-headed woman to me" for the Bee Gees' ballad from "Saturday Night Fever" for YEARS.

Have you ever?

Hit four straight aces to win a game. Until tonight, the answer to this question was no, but now I've done it twice

Hit four straight service returns to win a game (that your opponent didn’t touch). Yes

Hit a stop volley with so much backspin it came back into your court. No

Hit a half volley between your legs for a winner (ala Goran) No

Hit a Willie (between the legs) for a clean winner. No. I think I'd land on my ass if I even tried that.

Hit a passing shot around the net post (and under the let cord) (most of the times, for hackers like us, this would be in doubles) I've done this fairly regularly, mostly because I often get stretched way out wide on the forehand side a lot

Hit a lob volley for a winner. Yes

Slam dunk a smash (ala Pete) Yes--my favorite shot of Pete's

Track down a lob, end up behind the base line, and hit a smash for a winner (ala Andre) No--I always hit into the net if I try to smash from behind the baseline

Hit a mid court smash, on a ball that was so low you had to kneel on the court (Vilas used to do this one. A LOT!) No--I can't even imagine the mechanics of that
    Dive for a passing shot and hit a volley winner, after which you tumbled (ala Boris) Yes, but I'd bet it probably looked more like Justin Gimelstob than Boris
    Smack a ball so hard your racket broke (we are not pros, so our old rackets do breakdown) I don't think I've ever broken a racquet
    Skid on a hard court to get to a ball (and actually did) No
    Hit a second serve ace Yes
    Hit a backhand overhead so hard it bounced off the court. Yes--I love wailing on overheads

Or just tell us what wacky, crazy shot you have hit that you know it was more luck than skills.

None stand out particularly, but I can hit a both a right-handed and left-handed forehand with pretty good accuracy
    I don't deny myself bread. I have bread every day.

My record is 7 in a row.
    Ha, mine is probably something like that, too.

Also, like munchin, my backhand overhand did not bounce over a giant fence or anything, just through a net curtain into the next court.

And while I haven't broken a racket, once I tripped while running for a ball and to avoid landing on my face, I kicked my foot out right into the racket head and broke all of my strings. I didn't bring a spare, and had to play the rest of the match with an oversized child's racket that I borrowed from the front desk.
    Last edited by JTContinental; 01-05-2010 at 12:47 AM.
    I don't deny myself bread. I have bread every day.

Blog Entries

If the question was "Have you ever got a chance to hit a smash lob but you lost the ball in the sun and then you were hit not only by the ball but also part of your racket in the face" then I would have a yes

While we wait for the AOSP, maybe we should see how good we are.

Have you ever?

Hit four straight aces to win a game. Yes
    Hit four straight service returns to win a game (that your opponent didn’t touch). Yes
    Hit a stop volley with so much backspin it came back into your court. No
    Hit a half volley between your legs for a winner (ala Goran) No
    Hit a Willie (between the legs) for a clean winner. No
    Hit a passing shot around the net post (and under the let cord) (most of the times, for hackers like us, this would be in doubles) Yes
    Hit a lob volley for a winner. No
    Slam dunk a smash (ala Pete) Yes
    Track down a lob, end up behind the base line, and hit a smash for a winner (ala Andre) No
    Hit a mid court smash, on a ball that was so low you had to kneel on the court (Vilas used to do this one. A LOT!) No
    Dive for a passing shot and hit a volley winner, after which you tumbled (ala Boris) No
    Smack a ball so hard your racket broke (we are not pros, so our old rackets do breakdown) Yes
    Skid on a hard court to get to a ball (and actually did) No
    Hit a second serve ace All the time
    Hit a backhand overhead so hard it bounced off the court. Yes

Or just tell us what wacky, crazy shot you have hit that you know it was more luck than skills.
    Probably not a wacky shot but I've once hit the net cord 5 times in a row and it go to my opponents side.
    Last edited by Jtdrum10; 01-05-2010 at 06:51 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast