Page 389 of 398 FirstFirst ... 139289339364379385386387388389390391392393 ... LastLast
Results 5,821 to 5,835 of 5960

Re: World News Random, Random

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    It won't matter. If his name is Mohammed or Ahmed or Yousuf the general population will still look at him as a muslim and ONLY a muslim. Doesn't matter if he is a Bayern Munich fan with a grudge.
    That's true and unfortunate, but then again it's not like this attitude has arisen for no reason at all. In European context at least the more immigrants from that region you have the greater the chance of domestic terrorism. Just look at France...
    Flavia

Sturgeon: independence may be best for Scotland amid Brexit upheaval
    Barriers to protecting Scotland ‘substantial’, first minister says as she argues separation may offer greatest stability

Libby Brooks Scotland correspondent
    Monday 25 July 2016 07.51 EDT Last modified on Monday 25 July 2016 10.56 EDT

Independence may offer Scotland the greatest stability while the rest of the UK faces upheaval after last month’s vote to leave the EU, Nicola Sturgeon has said.

Scotland’s first minister also told an audience in Edinburgh on Monday that the barriers to protecting the country’s interests while remaining in the UK were “substantial”.

She described the absence of leadership and planning that became evident immediately after the leave vote as “one of the most shameful abdications of responsibility in modern political history”.

Addressing an Institute for Public Policy Research event, Sturgeon said she feared the UK government was pursuing a “hard rather than a soft Brexit” that would result in a future outside the single market with only limited access and a significant restriction on free movement.

Criticising the lack of clear explanation of what a leave vote meant in practice a month after the EU referendum, she described Theresa May’s assurance that “Brexit means Brexit” as “a soundbite that masks a lack of any clear sense of direction”.

Acknowledging that independence was not a simple solution after Scotland voted by 62% to remain within the EU, she said: “I don’t pretend that the option of independence would be straightforward. It would bring its own challenges – as well as opportunities.

“But consider this: the UK that we voted to stay part of in 2014 – a UK within the EU – is fundamentally changing. The outlook for the UK is uncertainty, upheaval and unpredictability.

“In these circumstances, it may well be that the option that offers us the greatest certainty, stability and the maximum control over our destiny, is that of independence.”

Using the event to outline the practical ways in which the EU remained vital to Scotland’s interests, Sturgeon emphasised the importance of retaining membership of the single market as well as free movement.

“For a country that needs to grow its population to help address skills gaps and deal with an ageing population, free movement matters,” she said.

She added that she “genuinely feared” the prospect of a UK government outside the single market seeking to alleviate its competitive disadvantage through deregulation, potentially offering more opportunities for tax avoidance.

She reaffirmed that in the period before article 50 is triggered, Scotland must explore options “that would allow different parts of this multi-national UK to pursue different outcomes”.

“That means the nations that voted to leave can start figuring out what Brexit actually does mean – while others, like Scotland, can focus on how to retain ties and keep open channels we do not want to dismantle.”

But Sturgeon cautioned that the barriers to achieving such a solution were “substantial”, saying: “Even if we can agree a position at UK level, we would face the task of persuading the EU to agree it.”

Reviewing the lessons of the EU referendum campaign, she said it had revealed “the limitations and dangers of negative, fear-based campaigning, particularly in the social media age”.

She also discussed the motivations of those who voted to leave, arguing: “Leave campaigners may have played the anti-immigration card to the point, at times, of overt racism. But 17 million leave voters were not racist – nor even in many cases anti-immigration.”

Insisting she would listen to the 1 million Scottish voters who voted to leave the EU, she suggested that a partial explanation for why the result was different north of the border lay in the explanation that the vote reflected a loss of confidence and trust in UK institutions, while trust in the Scottish government remained high.

Echoing the call from the Welsh first minister, Carwyn Jones, for each of the devolved parliaments to be given the right to vote on the terms of Brexit, Sturgeon insisted that the devolved administrations must be involved in the political decision to invoke article 50 “not just in the evidence gathering and consultation to inform that decision, but in the actual decision itself”.

Sturgeon also issued a challenge to May’s new cabinet. Addressing them directly, she said: “Now is the time to do more than just assert – against evidence to the contrary – that the union works for Scotland. It is surely time now to find ways to demonstrate that Scotland’s voice can be heard, our wishes accommodated and our interests protected within the UK.”

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...rexit-upheaval
    “The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.” - William Shakespeare, As You Like It

There is something after all there we are #1 - Latvian women have been found to be on average the tallest in the World (1.70 m, 5ft 7in)

Dutch are still the tallest men (1.83 m, 6ft), but we are near the top there as well.

A lot more interesting data as well of course: http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-36888541
    Flavia

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Deal or No Deal Champion, Midi Golf Champion, Add Like Mad Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Chopper Challenge Champion, Base Jumping Champion, Putt it in Golf Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, mahjong Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Battleship Champion, Yeti 1 Greece Champion, Quick Words Champion, Archery Champion, Magic Towers Solitaire Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by suliso View Post
    There is something after all there we are #1 - Latvian women have been found to be on average the tallest in the World (1.70 m, 5ft 7in)

Dutch are still the tallest men (1.83 m, 6ft), but we are near the top there as well.

A lot more interesting data as well of course: http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-36888541
    Being so close to Russia, I can only assume this must be the result of parents spiking baby formula with HGH?
    Become a Kiva lender and help people lift themselves out of poverty. To find loans that are safe, secular, and mostly short in term, go to the A+ Convenience Store at http://starfish.dynalias.org/starred...venience-store. Or, if you would like to support repeat borrowers with a proven track record of repayment, check out CraigsList at http://starfish.dynalias.org/starred/craigslist. Happy lending!

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by dryrunguy View Post
    Being so close to Russia, I can only assume this must be the result of parents spiking baby formula with HGH?
    Don't forget Latvia's the birth country of meldonium!

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Deal or No Deal Champion, Midi Golf Champion, Add Like Mad Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Chopper Challenge Champion, Base Jumping Champion, Putt it in Golf Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, mahjong Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Battleship Champion, Yeti 1 Greece Champion, Quick Words Champion, Archery Champion, Magic Towers Solitaire Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm8 View Post
    Don't forget Latvia's the birth country of meldonium!
    Bunch of dopers!!!
    Become a Kiva lender and help people lift themselves out of poverty. To find loans that are safe, secular, and mostly short in term, go to the A+ Convenience Store at http://starfish.dynalias.org/starred...venience-store. Or, if you would like to support repeat borrowers with a proven track record of repayment, check out CraigsList at http://starfish.dynalias.org/starred/craigslist. Happy lending!

Pakistani model Qandeel Baloch killed by brother after friends' taunts – mother
    Parents of the celebrity mourn ‘amazing daughter’ who died because her sibling was told she was dishonouring family

Agence France-Presse
    Wednesday 27 July 2016 21.33 EDT Last modified on Thursday 28 July 2016 07.38 EDT

The mother of a Pakistani celebrity murdered in a so-called “honour” killing said her son strangled his sister after being taunted by his friends over her behaviour.

The death earlier this month of the model and singer Qandeel Baloch, who shot to fame for her provocative selfies and videos in the conservative Muslim country, shone a spotlight on such killings and re-ignited calls for legislative action to curb the crime.

Speaking to AFP from her home in the village of Shah Sadar Din, Baloch’s mother Anwar Wai wept as she recalled the shocking death at the hands of brother Muhammad Wasim.

“He killed my daughter after being taunted by his friends. They would infuriate him and tell him she is bringing you dishonour,” she said, surrounded by her husband as well as an adult son and daughter.

The desperately poor family, who live in a three-room house with mud for flooring, said they depended on Baloch financially and did not know how they would cope without her. Baloch supported around a dozen relatives.

“She was an amazing daughter. I have no words that do her justice, and she took care of us much more than our sons including financially,” she said, adding the family were being put up in a house that Baloch (real name Fauzia Azeem) had in Multan in Punjab.

“She would phone us four or five times a day. If she wasn’t able to call one day, she would tell us ‘I’m sorry, I was working’.”

Pakistan’s justice minister last week announced that bills aimed at tackling “honour killings” and boosting rape convictions would soon be voted on by parliament, after mounting pressure to tackle a pattern of crime that claims around 1,000 lives a year.

The perpetrators of so-called honour killings – in which the victim, normally a woman, is killed by a relative – often walk free because they can seek forgiveness for the crime from another family member.

Some of Baloch’s more notorious acts included offering to perform a striptease for the Pakistani cricket team, and donning a plunging scarlet dress on Valentine’s Day.

She also posed for selfies with a high-profile mullah in an incident that saw him swiftly rebuked by the country’s religious affairs ministry.

Initially dismissed as a Kim Kardashian-like figure, she was seen by some as empowered in a country where women have fought for their rights for decades.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ime=1469701849
    “The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.” - William Shakespeare, As You Like It

Bill McKibben ‏@billmckibben 21h21 hours ago
    Update: 40 nomadic herders hospitalized in Siberia anthrax outbreak, as warming soil releases long-frozen bacteria

Has it been introduced in some states in US now? UK experience shows that it does work even with just 5p!

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-36917174

Here small plastic bags in grocery shops are still free, but you have to ask for them. Big paper bags (from recycled paper) cost 0.35 chf. 90% of the time I bring my own.
    Flavia

My supermarket here gives you 10 points for your frequent shopper plan if you bring your own bag. The Gov does not mandate a price but demands such a plan from every market chain.
    Re-usables are readily available at the check out.
    Have no clue if it makes a dent in local use but I also always bring my own. Plus have one in my back pack in case I stop somewhere unexpectedly (liquor store )
    Things like this grow in my garden

World News Random, Random

They've stopped carrying plastic bags when we shop at Whole Foods. Only paper is available. They rebate us 5 cents (or something) for each re-usable bag, which we always bring with us. The zipper broke on one of Whole Foods bags after several years of use and they told us to pick out a new one for free. That was nice.

Other grocery stores around here are still using plastic, no charge. I think a 5c charge per bag would be awesome, and long overdue, but it's hard to see it happening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MJ2004; 07-30-2016 at 05:43 PM.

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

I simply don't understand why plastic bags are still being used. Paper and reusable should have gotten rid of them. I'm not a big jumping and shouting environmentalist, but even I can see how terrible plastic grocery bags are.
    Oh Grigor. You silly man.

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

They tried it in Dallas, but did it wrong. They charged for all bags! Paper, too. Lasted 6 months.

Meanwhile, here in hippie Seattle, they banned plastic bags in 2012, and started charging for paper bags. It's still going strong.

It's also against city ordinances to throw food in the trash.
    I don't deny myself bread. I have bread every day.

When plastic bags are banned, what do people with dogs do? Those bags are very useful for some things...

Page 389 of 398 FirstFirst ... 139289339364379385386387388389390391392393 ... LastLast