Agree Agree:  1,071
Likes Likes:  1,140
Page 630 of 630 FirstFirst ... 380530580605620626627628629630
Results 9,436 to 9,440 of 9440

Re: World News Random, Random

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    Aaaah, about that dust cloud from the Sahara floating across the Atlantic and about to reach the Americas...
    Yep
    “No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.” – Lily Tomlin.

So this doesn't seem like good news, but I'm not sure what to make of it. @Suliso, this is your part of the world anything to add? Isn't this how the world found out about Chernobyl?

Sensors detect rise in nuclear particles on Baltic Sea, global body says

VIENNA (Reuters) - Radiation sensors in Stockholm have detected higher-than-usual but still harmless levels of isotopes produced by nuclear fission, probably from somewhere on or near the Baltic Sea, a body running a worldwide network of the sensors said on Friday.

The Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty Organization (CTBTO) oversees a network of hundreds of monitoring stations that use seismic, hydroacoustic and other technology to check for a nuclear weapon test anywhere in the world. That technology can, however, be put to other uses as well.

One of its stations scanning the air for radionuclides - telltale radioactive particles that can be carried long distances by the wind - detected unusually high levels of three radionuclides earlier this week: caesium-134, caesium-137 and ruthenium-103.

The Stockholm monitoring station "detected 3isotopes; Cs-134, Cs-137 & Ru-103 associated w/Nuclear fission @ higher[ ] than usual levels (but not harmful for human health)", CTBTO chief Lassina Zerbo said on Twitter (here) on Friday evening.

The particles were detected on “22/23 June”, he added.

Zerbo's post included a borderless map showing where the particles might have come from in the 72 hours before they were detected - a large area (here) covering the tips of Denmark and Norway as well as southern Sweden, much of Finland, Baltic countries and part of western Russia including St Petersburg.

“These are certainly nuclear fission products, most likely from a civil source,” a spokeswoman for the Vienna-based CTBTO said, referring to the atomic chain reaction that generates heat in a nuclear reactor.

“We are able to indicate the likely region of the source, but it’s outside the CTBTO’s mandate to identify the exact origin,” she added.

Reporting by Francois Murphy; Editing by David Gregorio

Our Standards:The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-n...-idUSKBN23X2TN

"...part of western Russia..." That would be my guess since there seems to be no immediate knowledge of the origin. GH

TOKYO (Reuters) - Japan’s jobless rate rose and the availability of jobs fell in May, government data showed on Tuesday.
    Japan May industrial output drops 8.4% month/month
    The seasonally adjusted unemployment rate was 2.9% in May, up from 2.6% in April, figures from the Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications showed. The median forecast was 2.8%.

The jobs-to-applicants ratio fell to 1.20 in May from 1.32 in April, marking the lowest reading since July 2015, labour ministry data showed.

The only thing amazing to me about this is how low this unemployment rate is given the drops in GDP across the globe.
    "And for my next fearless prediction..."

When will the jobs report for June will be published? Senate went to sleep on the HEROES bill after May report showed a 2.5 million job increase.
    2017 & 2018 Australian Open Champions

Page 630 of 630 FirstFirst ... 380530580605620626627628629630