Agree Agree:  1,078
Likes Likes:  1,145
Page 631 of 631 FirstFirst ... 381531581606621627628629630631
Results 9,451 to 9,458 of 9458

Re: World News Random, Random

Cities and countries in America are on the young side, so it's a bit harder to judge. In the rest of the world almost every still existing city/country has gone through a golden age and decline, often more than once. Some are at their best right now. Obviously not Lebanon...
    Roger forever

But Caracas was a jewel. I will describe a little bit to explain.
    Caracas is separated from the Caribbean sea by the Coastal Range, reaching a height of about 2800 meters. The highest peak is Cerro El Avila (Cerro is a hill. We were not particularly conceited). Atop El Avila, the Humbolt Hotel stood. At the top of the building, a rotating restaurant spun around slowly, so during the course of your meal you would see for a while the ocean (North), then the city (Caracas, South).
    This was, of course, a TUXEDO and NIGHT DRESS area. It was more than formal.
    The hotel was served by two cable cars: one went down to Caracas, the other, meandering down the mountain, went to MACUTO, a port. So people coming in cruises could get dressed up, and go up the mountain to the restaurant. But remember, from the sea side, the climb was 2800 Mts (from Caracas it was a bit under 2 Kms, 1.4 miles, +/-). So the sea side climb meant that the intermediate stations were sprinkled over several smaller mountain tops, to reach the main one.
    It was a frigging engineering marvel. And today, it all lays in ruins. Neither cable car runs. The rotating restaurant does not spin anymore. And the hotel was given to the military, for them to organize their orgies, serving Scotch Whisky and young women, both 18 years old.
    I will grant that the military were given the hotel before the current regime. But that was us, in the 1970's. And now we are what we are. And my fellow Venezuelans (and family) wonder aloud what is it that I have against the nation.
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

I most certainly believe you it was beautiful. Perhaps will be again albeit not necessarily in our lifetimes...
    Roger forever

What a sad story ponchi.
    “No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.” – Lily Tomlin.

My father dearly loved going up to places where one could eat and watch the city or countryside go by (towers, mountaintop restaurants and the like). So I would bet they had dinner there. I can't remember the specifics of what all they raved about in Caracas, but they genuinely loved it. And this was so much the sort of thing they would have done as a first priority. GH

julieturkewitz
    @julieturkewitz

THREAD: We traveled more than a thousand miles across Colombia to examine how the pandemic and lockdowns are affecting everyday families, looking for a window into what is happening across Latin America.

This is way out of my lane. I posted the link up top and I hope ponchi can fill in some details. Usually reporters of these kind of stories go looking for the worst but that is my US experience.

ETA: I removed the maps because the detail didn't transfer. They show the cities that border the area they were in.

I do have a problem with extrapolating what is happening in one country to the entire Spanish speaking area from Mexico to Argentina.
    “No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.” – Lily Tomlin.

Other than a misunderstanding of a phrase used here (SU MERCED was translated as YOUR MERCY, which is not accurate) I find very little that is wrong. Indeed, and as we are discussing in the COVID thread, a lot of people here are in a different position than the rest of the world: COVID or HUNGER. The options are clear, the choice is not.
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

I've heard it from a government of at least two middle income countries (Iran and Armenia) that they simply can't afford another full lockdown. So living with the virus and doing some basic precautions is the only option.

Eventually all countries would get at that point only the rich ones much, much later.
    Roger forever

Page 631 of 631 FirstFirst ... 381531581606621627628629630631