Agree Agree:  890
Likes Likes:  1,015
Page 587 of 587 FirstFirst ... 337487537562577583584585586587
Results 8,791 to 8,796 of 8796

Re: World News Random, Random

Quote Originally Posted by shtexas View Post
    Even though quite long, one of my favorite books.
    Yes, me too.

I actually think the 1994 mini-series was decent. Of course it had a low TV budget and was flawed in many ways (ahem, Molly Ringwald), but it was an extremely faithful adaptation and Gary Sinise/Rob Lowe were great.
    Last edited by MJ2004; Yesterday at 02:22 PM.

I'm thinking a 50% global wipeout could bring civilized society to a collapse. (at least temporarily). Mostly because of the pandemonium that would break out.
    Meet again we do, old foe...

Thinking about it:
    What percentage of people would have to be wiped out for the world's real estate market to collapse? (all the empty housing would be up for sale at the same time).
    That would lead to construction collapsing.
    The energy sector would be wiped out too (why produce anything if now you would have excess output of everything?)
    Aviation would be basically grounded.
    And commodities' prices would tank.

No need for 50%. I would say around 20%. The world economy works fueled by consumption. 20% drop and most companies would go bankrupt.
    Missing winter...

I'm not so sure about real estate. I mean, someone with money will survive and start buying because prices drop waiting for the uptick.

Quote Originally Posted by Drop-shot View Post
    I'm not so sure about real estate. I mean, someone with money will survive and start buying because prices drop waiting for the uptick.
    Uptick would come, but it might take a very long time. Ireland, for example, is yet to reach the pre famine peak population.

Roger forever

But how about prices? I'm betting they recovered much quicker even adjusting for inflation.

Page 587 of 587 FirstFirst ... 337487537562577583584585586587