Page 181 of 181 FirstFirst ... 81131156171177178179180181
Results 2,701 to 2,709 of 2709

Re: World News Random, Random

Some photos for those interested: http://icelandreview.com/news/2014/0...-flowing-river
    The grass master

Director of Content
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkus View Post
    I've seen reports of families and corporations paying ransom for kidnapped journalists or contractors while the U.S. government looked the other way. I doubt any legal action would've been taken against them had they arranged his release.

Excerpts rom a Chicago Tribune article:

I guess the attempted rescue in July, in which several dozen soldiers risked their lives in an attempt to rescue Foley and others wasn't enough.

I'm making the argument that rather than "pray that our government will be willing to learn from the mistakes that were made", we could pray that journalists and others learn from the mistakes that those who went before them made.

For some reason the story of how the Foley family is reacting has just really gotten under my skin. Your son made a decision and he paid a terrible price for that decision. And in all sincerity my heart breaks for you. But you should own it rather than place the blame elsewhere.

If no journalist went into a danger zone, then we'd never get real stories or have any understanding of what's going on beyond our front door. I agree that he's responsible and that it is somewhat unfair that the government has to deal with it, but in my eyes, what he was doing was a public service only one step below what aid workers are doing.

Maybe it would be easier if governments said something like, "If you travel here, here, and here," you're on your own, we won't help you. Then, the risk of going would maybe be assessed differently, and the families would be free to negotiate. But that would probably create too much domestic backlash.

Director of Content
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by suliso View Post
    Not to take away from the beautiful (and scary) photos, but I love their article headings

Our Photographer was at the Eruption Site Again
    Eruption Update, Pollution Warning, Sheep Roundup
    Eruption Stable, Seismicity Drops, BBC Arrives

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by suliso View Post
    Anyone following Bįršarbunga volcano? Some experts are saying we are in the early stages of the largest volcanic eruption in Iceland for a thousand years. They have had some really big ones in the past...
    I wasn't following it until now. It sounds like it could be hellacious! It's actually kind of scary.
    Hello, Grigor.

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm8 View Post
    If no journalist went into a danger zone, then we'd never get real stories or have any understanding of what's going on beyond our front door. I agree that he's responsible and that it is somewhat unfair that the government has to deal with it, but in my eyes, what he was doing was a public service only one step below what aid workers are doing.

Maybe it would be easier if governments said something like, "If you travel here, here, and here," you're on your own, we won't help you. Then, the risk of going would maybe be assessed differently, and the families would be free to negotiate. But that would probably create too much domestic backlash.
    I would categorize these journalists and aid workers as heroes. It's obviously about the job and not the money.
    Hello, Grigor.

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Early results are coming in, only 4/32 councils have reported, but so far 58% No - 42% Yes on an independent Scotland.
    Hello, Grigor.

Seems like the No side will win - will be interesting to see how Great Britain moves forward and how the various parts react to the changes that are coming as a result of the independence movement in Scotland.
    We All Play for Canada

How did Canada react in similar circumstances?
    The grass master

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

I'm seeing a final tally of 45% Yes - 55% No.

I don't know the details but I heard the UK, at the last minute, offered Scotland more independence if they voted it down. I wonder how much that played into it.
    Hello, Grigor.

Page 181 of 181 FirstFirst ... 81131156171177178179180181