Agree Agree:  1,071
Likes Likes:  1,141
Page 630 of 630 FirstFirst ... 380530580605620626627628629630
Results 9,436 to 9,446 of 9446

Re: World News Random, Random

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    Aaaah, about that dust cloud from the Sahara floating across the Atlantic and about to reach the Americas...
    Yep
    “No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.” – Lily Tomlin.

So this doesn't seem like good news, but I'm not sure what to make of it. @Suliso, this is your part of the world anything to add? Isn't this how the world found out about Chernobyl?

Sensors detect rise in nuclear particles on Baltic Sea, global body says

VIENNA (Reuters) - Radiation sensors in Stockholm have detected higher-than-usual but still harmless levels of isotopes produced by nuclear fission, probably from somewhere on or near the Baltic Sea, a body running a worldwide network of the sensors said on Friday.

The Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty Organization (CTBTO) oversees a network of hundreds of monitoring stations that use seismic, hydroacoustic and other technology to check for a nuclear weapon test anywhere in the world. That technology can, however, be put to other uses as well.

One of its stations scanning the air for radionuclides - telltale radioactive particles that can be carried long distances by the wind - detected unusually high levels of three radionuclides earlier this week: caesium-134, caesium-137 and ruthenium-103.

The Stockholm monitoring station "detected 3isotopes; Cs-134, Cs-137 & Ru-103 associated w/Nuclear fission @ higher[ ] than usual levels (but not harmful for human health)", CTBTO chief Lassina Zerbo said on Twitter (here) on Friday evening.

The particles were detected on “22/23 June”, he added.

Zerbo's post included a borderless map showing where the particles might have come from in the 72 hours before they were detected - a large area (here) covering the tips of Denmark and Norway as well as southern Sweden, much of Finland, Baltic countries and part of western Russia including St Petersburg.

“These are certainly nuclear fission products, most likely from a civil source,” a spokeswoman for the Vienna-based CTBTO said, referring to the atomic chain reaction that generates heat in a nuclear reactor.

“We are able to indicate the likely region of the source, but it’s outside the CTBTO’s mandate to identify the exact origin,” she added.

Reporting by Francois Murphy; Editing by David Gregorio

Our Standards:The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-n...-idUSKBN23X2TN

"...part of western Russia..." That would be my guess since there seems to be no immediate knowledge of the origin. GH

TOKYO (Reuters) - Japan’s jobless rate rose and the availability of jobs fell in May, government data showed on Tuesday.
    Japan May industrial output drops 8.4% month/month
    The seasonally adjusted unemployment rate was 2.9% in May, up from 2.6% in April, figures from the Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications showed. The median forecast was 2.8%.

The jobs-to-applicants ratio fell to 1.20 in May from 1.32 in April, marking the lowest reading since July 2015, labour ministry data showed.

The only thing amazing to me about this is how low this unemployment rate is given the drops in GDP across the globe.
    "And for my next fearless prediction..."

When will the jobs report for June will be published? Senate went to sleep on the HEROES bill after May report showed a 2.5 million job increase.
    2017 & 2018 Australian Open Champions

Armed man arrested on Rideau Hall grounds an active Canadian Forces member

Michael Woods
    Digital Multi-Skilled Journalist
    @michaelrwoods Contact

Ted Raymond
    Digital Multi-Skilled Journalist
    @TedFriendlyGuy Contact

Published Thursday, July 2, 2020 7:45AM EDT
    Last Updated Thursday, July 2, 2020 4:39PM EDT

OTTAWA -- An armed man who was arrested by the RCMP on the grounds of Rideau Hall early Thursday morning is an active Canadian Armed Forces member, CTV News confirms.

RCMP said Thursday morning the man was able to access the grounds around 6:40 a.m. He was arrested without incident and is in custody. Police said charges are pending. They have not released the man's name.

"The Canadian Armed Forces is collaborating closely with the RCMP," a CAF spokesperson said in a statement to CTV News. "As the RCMP is the lead investigative body for this matter, it would be inappropriate for us to comment further at this time."

The Prime Minister and Governor General were not on the grounds at the time of the incident, police said. There were no injuries reported.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the grounds of Rideau Hall are closed, and public tours and events at both Rideau Hall and the Citadelle are cancelled or postponed until further notice.

A stretch of Sussex Drive near Rideau Hall was closed Thursday morning for the investigation, which saw a large police presence head to the Rideau Hall grounds.

A black pickup truck with Manitoba plates could be seen partway up the driveway with airbags deployed, and debris could be seen near the front gate. There was also damage to the front gate itself.

A police robot was sent to investigate the truck and its contents. It could be seen pulling a garbage bag from inside the truck. There were also two cardboard boxes piled on the back seat.

Police have not provided any further details about how the truck may be linked to the incident.

In a tweet, Governor General Julie Payette said, "We thank the RCMP and police for quickly resolving the situation this morning at Rideau Hall. All of our staff are safe."

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/armed-man-...mber-1.5007764

Argentina sweetens debt revamp offer to creditors; sets August 4 deadline
    BUENOS AIRES (Reuters) - Argentina’s government unveiled an amended debt restructuring proposal on Sunday and set a deadline of Aug. 4 for creditors to accept it, adding some key sweeteners as it looks to defuse recent tensions with bondholders and strike a deal. The new proposal here which comes after talks to revamp around $65 billion in foreign debt stalled last month, would reduce principal haircuts, increase coupons and include a bond to account for accrued interest, the government said in a statement here that described the amendments as the "final effort".

It said the move to sweeten the deal showed the country’s “good faith and willingness to remain engaged with the international financial community”, which it added was key to helping Argentina dig out of a deep economic recession.

Argentina’s center-left President Alberto Fernandez said in the statement the offer was the “maximum effort we can make”. “It is an enormous effort that we have made to fulfill our word,” he added.

Argentina is racing to revamp the foreign bonds after tumbling into its ninth sovereign default in May. A deal is key to avoiding a messy and protracted legal standoff that would lock the country out of international credit markets. The debt talks had progressed well, helping lift local bond prices, until hitting turbulence in mid-June. Two key bondholder groups have since criticized a lack of engagement with the government and pushed for stronger legal protection in any deal.

Argentina’s government addressed this concern, saying holders of eligible bonds issued under a 2005 indenture would now be able to exchange for new bonds issued under the same indenture, which give creditors greater protection. It also said the new proposal would include minimum participation thresholds, which had been sought by another of the three major creditor committees involved in the talks.

“We hope that our creditors understand the restrictions we have, and appreciate our willingness to reach an agreement that works for all parties,” Economy Minister Martin Guzman said.

Argentina will formally present the proposal to the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) on Monday, the government said in a separate statement. Argentina’s debt restructuring process has been buffeted by the novel coronavirus pandemic, which is pushing the country deeper into recession and driving up poverty. The South American country’s economy is expected to contract around 12% this year.

The grains producing stronghold is also looking to strike a new deal with major backer the International Monetary Fund, to help replace a $57 billion credit facility agreed in 2018. The government also said on Sunday it will send a bill to Congress in the next few days to restructure its local-law foreign currency debt under “equitable conditions” to the foreign debt revamp.

BTW. The 2005 bonds were issued to cover the DEFAULT FROM 2001, which were other bonds.
    I mean, I love Argentina (as I have said, I have family and friends there) but after 9 defaults, the only way I would accept a bond from THIS government would be if there is land as a collateral.
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

Blackouts darken misery of Lebanon's economic collapse
    BEIRUT (Reuters) - Samira Hanna spends a lot of time in the dark. Her old Beirut apartment gets less than two hours of electricity a day, and with Lebanon’s economy in ruins, the grandmother can barely afford candles, let alone a private generator. “I sit outside on the stairs for some light,” she said. “We don’t watch television. I wait for the electricity to come so I can wash clothes ... And there’s nothing in the fridge, believe me.”

Exacerbated by Lebanon’s financial meltdown, fuel shortages have worsened existing power cuts, piling further hardship on Lebanese struggling with job losses, soaring prices and hunger. Parts of the capital Beirut now get just a few hours of electricity a day in the summer heat. Some residents said the blackouts were worse than during the 1975-1990 civil war.

The energy minister has cited stockpiling as one of several reasons behind the shortages, with people buying subsidized fuel as a hedge against inflation. “Instead of buying gold, people are buying diesel,” Raymond Ghajar said recently. Smuggling across the border to Syria is also a factor. Supply has also been interrupted by the fallout of a investigation into shipments that were not up to specification.

Ghajar said ships carrying fuel started arriving this week and promised a gradual return to normal - although across Lebanon, normal has meant daily power cuts of some kind.

Private generator suppliers, who have long filled the supply gap left by patchy state provision, have also been rationing fuel, and many homes can no longer pay exorbitant fees. Even hospitals have not been spared: the main Beirut public hospital treating coronavirus cases had to close some operating rooms and turn off air conditioning in its hallways, local media reported. And without energy for switchboards, mobile phone coverage was cut in parts of the country.

Lebanon’s power sector, at the heart of the crisis, bleeds up to $2 billion from public funds every year while failing to supply enough electricity. The heavily indebted state has long promised to fix it but has not delivered on its pledge.

Hanna, in her 70s, said she never had it this bad. Daily outages have made her mentally disabled daughter frantic.

The blackouts have stoked resentment towards political leaders who publicly wrangle over how to repair the sector while power cuts get worse.

“It’s about time they have pity on us. But what do they care?” she said. “They have money and they can live, we can’t ... They can see people are suffering, but they can’t feel.”

Badiaa, 75, goes without electricity most of the day. “I wish we had leaders with mercy,” she said, bursting into tears. “Everything they say on TV is lies. They’re garbage.”

Lebanon....talk about a cautionary tale. For a few decades, ending in 1975 with the outbreak of civil war there, Lebanon had an amazing reputation as THE place to go for a Mediterranean vacation. It was a bit off the beaten path but quite accessible. Beirut was called the "Paris of the East". I remember the few people I knew who went there simply raving about it. Great restaurants, great hotels, great beaches, peaceful, friendly people.

It kind of went totally wrong in 1975 and has stayed totally wrong. GH

I just re-read that note and this struck me like a ton of bricks: What a complete parallel to parts of what was Yugoslavia at the same time. I was all over Yugoslavia in 1979 and then at the Winter Olympics in Sarajevo in 1984. Three cities of that time, specifically Sarajevo, Mostar, and Dubrovnik, were about the most wonderful, peaceful, beautiful places I could imagine. (I could also say that about Ljubljana, but its subsequent history was not as bleak).
    Anyway, less than a decade later, Sarajevo, Mostar, and Dubrovnik were devastated. They have all recovered far better than Beirut, but still, I see them as a huge cautionary tale as well.

Page 630 of 630 FirstFirst ... 380530580605620626627628629630