Agree Agree:  925
Likes Likes:  1,048
Page 601 of 601 FirstFirst ... 351501551576591597598599600601
Results 9,001 to 9,009 of 9009

Re: World News Random, Random

BBC Breaking News
    @BBCBreaking

Conservatives set to win majority in UK general election, according to exit poll for BBC, ITV and Sky

#BBCElection https://bbc.in/2sjT4Wk

That's a huge win for Boris. He should now be able to get through any type of Brexit he desires.
    Roger forever

The SNP controls almost all of Scotland's parliamentary seats (if I understand the total number of seats that Scotland has overall, but I could easily be wrong). Even if Boris gets his vision of Brexit through, it certainly signifies more stormy times in the United Kingdom internally.
    "And for my next fearless prediction..."

Binyamin Appelbaum @BCAppelbaum

So the U.S. and China have both agreed to announce a "trade deal," which so far as I can tell consists entirely of both sides repeatedly saying the words "trade deal."

After two years of negotiations with China, we've arrived at a situation that is materially worse than the status quo ante. Congratulations everyone. Take the weekend.
    There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.

― Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff in TX View Post
    The SNP controls almost all of Scotland's parliamentary seats (if I understand the total number of seats that Scotland has overall, but I could easily be wrong). Even if Boris gets his vision of Brexit through, it certainly signifies more stormy times in the United Kingdom internally.
    Do you think not only Scotland but Ireland will split off as well?
    There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.

― Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    Do you think not only Scotland but Ireland will split off as well?
    Some of the things I have read suggested N. Ireland will face heavy pressure to want to unite with the Republic of Ireland but those analysis also suggest that there would be a heavy economic burden on Ireland if that were to occur. It also seems hard to believe that after so many years of violence during "The Troubles" that there has been enough healing for that to occur. That being said, I am definitely not familiar enough to see how the Irish situation will be resolved to much satisfaction on anyone's part.

How does TAT's collective wisdom from people living in the UK or frequent travelers perceive the situation? I would be interested in your thoughts.
    "And for my next fearless prediction..."

I am very pessimistic that N. Ireland could unite smoothly with the Republic of Ireland. Not only am I basing that on the issue about the duration and severity of the Troubles as in Jeff's note, bit also on a personal story. Several years ago (about 7 years), a friend and I spent a full day wandering around in and visiting museums and other sights in the neighborhoods on both sides of the Peace Wall in Belfast. The wall is still very much there but has breaks in it for easy passage between the 2 sides. The wall separated the most violent Catholic and Protestant neighborhoods as an attempt to keep people then from killing so many of each other.

Anyway, when we were on the Protestant side, we went into a Visitors' Center/museum where a picture was presented that suggested that all is currently at peace and everyone is delighted with the current situation. The Catholic side didn't feel the same at all. But by far the most interesting part of the day was lunch. We ate a late lunch in a small sandwich bar in a side alley. We were alone in the shop with the owner/cook, so I decided to ask some pointed questions.

His opinion was that the situation looked peaceful but that ill feelings were still simmering barely under the surface and that profound unrest and even violence would return if any provoking incident were to occur. He made it clear that most Catholics were not at al pleased with the results of the compromises, which they saw as almost totally giving the Protestants what they wanted.

So a union with the Republic would make those Protestants a smallish minority. I can't imagine that would be well-tolerated. The tables would be suddenly turned on them.

We also spent a day touring similar sites in Derry, which is one of the most Catholic places in the country. While we also heard that people are not as satisified as the Protestants would have you believe, we didn't have a similarly definitive experience to the one in that sandwich shop.

I do believe that a lot of the people have put it all pretty much behind them, but for various reasons, there are plenty of people who still feel they have "axes to grind." It has probably helped the peace process that the border between the 2 Irelands has been so open. So it might be possible for re-unification to go smoothly, but there will be reason for major nail-biting if they try it.

GH

I was reading something the other day where Sinn Fein under Gerry Adams was brought up in passing while discussing violence.

Can NI split off on its own?

― Frank Zappa

Mystery Solvent
    @MysterySolvent
    OMG!! Epic Trump trolling by @VicenteFoxQue
    !! I love it so hard!! ��������

https://twitter.com/i/status/1205640246018396163

― Frank Zappa

Page 601 of 601 FirstFirst ... 351501551576591597598599600601