Likes Likes:  1,085
Page 615 of 615 FirstFirst ... 365515565590605611612613614615
Results 9,211 to 9,221 of 9221
    Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Re: World News Random, Random

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    In any other times, this would be a major story. Right now, it means little.
    But:
    The USA, via the DEA, has offered $15MM for Maduro or information that will lead to his capture. $10MM for Diosdado Cabello (criminal #2) and $10MM for several other cronies. All are being accused of drug trafficking in major scale.
    Of course, Maduro is immune from prosecution in the USA or anywhere because he is under diplomatic immunity. However, in view that the USA does not recognize him as president, together with 50 other countries, many in Europe, Maduro may have to be very careful of where he travels.
    Together with the COVID issue and the drop of oil prices, together with ROSNEFT (Russian oil company that fronts for Vlad's turbid dealings) taking away support for PDVSA, this has been a particularly bad week for the monkey.

Ponchi, have been following this story since BF is Venezueland, and more specifically, the one about one of the "wanted" Cliver Alcala who surrendered in Colombia and was taken to New York for arraignment.

I'm trying to understand the US' motivation in pursuing this right now:
    - Do you think it's political or just some pissed off US government people on a mission?
    - What can actually be done to Maduro & co as a result of this. I mean, he's speak the UN General Assembly this year (if it actually happens), but what else, realistically? Limits countries they can escape to?

I really have no idea why this was done at the time, other than "the DEA continues to be the DEA". It is one federal agency that really cannot do anything about COVID-19 or related issues, so I guess that some people there have just kept working.
    The news that Maduro and his cronies are involved in major drug trafficking is anything but new. The entire Vennie army is basically a drug cartel, usually called in the country the "Cartel de los Soles" (the Cartel of the Suns, meaning generals, as in Venezuela generals do not get "stars", they get "suns"). So this is well known. Colombia has been voicing these issues since the late 2000's, when Uribe confronted Chavez on the facts.
    What will happen now? Very little. Maduro will continue to be in power by the simply fact that if he falls he can no longer provide the generals the free rein they need to do their deeds, so they will continue to support him. So I gather this was just symbolic. One must admit that Tiny has more pressing matters at the moment (not that HE can focus on anything) and therefore, other than perhaps expanding the list of people that will be in the DEA's sight, very little will happen.
    BTW. The general feeling is that Carvajal decided to turn himself in on a plea. He was a major spy in Vennie so maybe he does have important documents to share. And in that crazy country, there is no way you can dismiss the fact that he may be more than willing to talk to the DEA in exchange of his freedom or a very light sentence.
    And some cash.
    But again, everything I am saying is just speculation. This is one truly crazy move by the DEA.
    Missing winter...

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    I really have no idea why this was done at the time, other than "the DEA continues to be the DEA". It is one federal agency that really cannot do anything about COVID-19 or related issues, so I guess that some people there have just kept working.
    Someone's got to crack down on the illegal market in whatever drug the President decides to mention in his daily briefings.

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Thanks for confirming my thoughts. As an international relations person by education, I'm always looking for a hidden strategy (even from this administration!)

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan View Post
    Someone's got to crack down on the illegal market in whatever drug the President decides to mention in his daily briefings.
    "Some say cocaine can really give you lots of great energy if you're down with the Wuhan virus! It's really amazing, you take it and you feel like you're not sick anymore! A miracle! Who needs ventilators?"

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Had a Skype conversation last night with a Venezuelan friend of mine who escaped to Bogota more than a year ago. He couldn't stop heaping praise on 45 because of this. To him, 45 will save Venezuela.

I eventually lied to him and said the dog had to go outside to pee, so I needed to go. I just couldn't take it anymore.
    Winston, a.k.a. Alvena Rae Risley Hiatt (1944-2019), RIP

Quote Originally Posted by dryrunguy View Post
    Had a Skype conversation last night with a Venezuelan friend of mine who escaped to Bogota more than a year ago. He couldn't stop heaping praise on 45 because of this. To him, 45 will save Venezuela.

I eventually lied to him and said the dog had to go outside to pee, so I needed to go. I just couldn't take it anymore.
    Wow. Okay then, thanks for sharing.

By now, and I will take credit for this idea, Venezuelans know/think there is no possible solution which leads to the removal of Maduro, that can we worse than his staying.
    Coup D'Etat? Fine.
    Foreign invasion? Fine.
    Word that starts with the first three letters of MAGAZINE and ends rhyming with PESTICIDE (I don't want to write that word down and get TAT in trouble)? Fine
    Godzilla rises from the depth of the Caribbean sea and smashes his way up the mountain and destroys the government? We'll film it, post it on youtube, watch it again and again forever.

So yes, some people are counting on 45 to "save the day". Basically, the same people that voted for Chavez in 1998, hoping for a miracle cure to our ills of the day.
    I, of course, am not a friend of any of them.
    Missing winter...

Balazs Csekö
    @balazscseko
    Hungarian Parliament passes bill that gives PM Orbán unlimited power & proclaims:

- State of emergency w/o time limit
    - Rule by decree
    - Parliament suspended
    - No elections
    - Spreading fake news + rumors: up to 5 yrs in prison
    - Leaving quarantine: up to 8 yrs in prison
    #COVID19
    There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.”

― Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    Balazs Csekö
    @balazscseko
    Hungarian Parliament passes bill that gives PM Orbán unlimited power & proclaims:

- State of emergency w/o time limit
    - Rule by decree
    - Parliament suspended
    - No elections
    - Spreading fake news + rumors: up to 5 yrs in prison
    - Leaving quarantine: up to 8 yrs in prison
    #COVID19
    Just saw this. Hungary just became a dictatorship. Fantastic. Not sure what that means for the EU.

I think that might be even worse news for Hungary than it initially appears to be (and that is bad enough). Orban wants unlimited power with no way to remove him from office, for whatever reason. He just got that. The abuses of this situation will go far beyond issues with COVID-19 if he behaves as he almost surely will.

GH

Page 615 of 615 FirstFirst ... 365515565590605611612613614615