Page 338 of 355 FirstFirst ... 88238288313328334335336337338339340341342348 ... LastLast
Results 5,056 to 5,070 of 5319

Re: World News Random, Random

Quote Originally Posted by dryrunguy View Post
    I've been reading about this the past few days and have not been able to monitor any mainstream media. Is the story getting any legs in mainstream press?
    I follow a lot of the major news outlets on Twitter and this is the first time I'm seeing this. TPM isn't citing any MSM (NYT, CNN, etc) and haven't seen any mention of this until the TPM report.
    “If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.” ― Mark Twain

United States, Cuba Sign Arrangement Restoring Scheduled Air Service
    DOT Launches Process to Award the New Flights

HAVANA – Today, U.S. Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx, Assistant Secretary of State for Economic and Business Affairs Charles Rivkin, Cuban Minister of Transportation Adel Yzquierdo Rodriguez and President of the Cuban Civil Aviation Institute (IACC), Ministry of Transportation Colonel Alfredo Cordero Puig signed an arrangement that provides for the re-establishment of scheduled air services between the United States and Cuba. Immediately following the signing, the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) invited U.S. air carriers to apply for an allocation of the new opportunities to provide scheduled passenger and cargo flights.

“We are excited to announce the availability of new scheduled air service opportunities to Cuba for U.S. carriers, shippers, and the traveling public, and we will conduct this proceeding in a manner designed to maximize public benefits,” said U.S. Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx.

In 2014, the Obama Administration announced its intention to re-establish diplomatic relations and embark on a process of normalization with Cuba. Less than one year later, in December 2015, after several months of negotiations, the governments of the United States and Cuba concluded negotiations on a non-legally binding arrangement to re-establish scheduled air services between the two countries. This new arrangement will facilitate visits for travelers that fall under one of 12 categories authorized by the U.S. Department of the Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control. It also represents a major step forward in President Obama’s policy of engagement with Cuba. There have been no scheduled flights between the United States and Cuba for over half a century.

The new arrangement provides each country with the opportunity to operate up to 20 daily roundtrip flights between the United States and Havana. The arrangement also provides each country with the opportunity to operate up to 10 daily roundtrip flights between the United States and each of Cuba’s nine other international airports, providing U.S. carriers with the opportunity to operate up to a total of 110 daily roundtrip flights between the United States and Cuba. The arrangement does not limit charter services, meaning that no DOT allocation procedures are needed and charter flights can continue as before.

Today’s order invites applications from U.S. carriers and initiates a proceeding for DOT to select which U.S. carriers will be able to offer scheduled flights to Cuba, and from which U.S. points. In making its selection, the Department will consider which proposals will offer and maintain the best service to the traveling and shipping public. The Department recognizes the eagerness of U.S. carriers to take advantage of these new Cuba opportunities, and intends to reach a final decision as expeditiously as possible.

DOT’s order states that applications are due March 2, 2016; answers to applications are due March 14, 2016; and replies to those answers are due March 21, 2016. Interested parties can track the progress of the case and view the publicly available documents at www.regulations.gov, docket DOT-OST-2016-0021.

Tuesday, February 16, 2016

From US DOT

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Yes! I've been waiting for this to plan my trip later this year! From what I read, American Airlines already applied for 20 flights even before this was finalized.

Cuba will be richer from all this, but far less exotic for visitors...

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk
    Flavia

Quote Originally Posted by suliso View Post
    Cuba will be richer from all this, but far less exotic for visitors...

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk
    I'd like to go within five years. After that I'm not sure it will be any different from any other Caribbean tourist trap.

I'd say sooner than that, although maybe not completely as it's a lot bigger than other Caribbean countries there so tourism only economy will not work.
    Flavia

Remember tourism is not new to them. Just U.S. tourism. My Spanish relatives have been there several times over. I agree though that this will increase the scale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's true and I also have several friends who have been there however from Europe it's a long flight and relatively expensive compared to much closer destinations which leads to a different kind of visitors. From US you'll probably have kids on a spring break...
    Flavia

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

I'd say sooner than that, although maybe not completely as it's a lot bigger than other Caribbean countries there so tourism only economy will not work.
    There will be a significant effect from increased demand, but probably not an entirely huge one. There are many tourists there already, including from the US via other countries. I know quite a few people from Russia, Spain, Mexico, and the US that have gone. If the higher demand won't break the controls the government there puts on the tourism industry and telecom, it might not change that rapidly.

P.S. Or I could have kept reading the thread and seen MJ say this.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

123 GO Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Archery Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Number of missing, murdered indigenous women as high as 4,000, minister suggests

Canada’s minister for the status of women suggests the number of missing and murdered indigenous women could be as high as 4,000.

Patty Hajdu told reporters Tuesday that the government doesn’t have an exact number, but pointed to research from the Native Women’s Association of Canada (NWAC) that puts it at 4,000, much higher than the 1,200 figure the RCMP has previously stated.

The comment comes after Hajdu and Carolyn Bennett, the minister for indigenous affairs and northern development, wrapped up cross-country talks Monday ahead of a formal national inquiry into missing and murdered indigenous women.

A 2014 report by the RCMP concluded 1,017 aboriginal women had been slain between 1980 and 2012, and that another 164 were considered missing.

Hajdu, who represents Thunder Bay–Superior North, said NWAC’s number is more believable because there is a history of police underreporting murders, or failing to investigate suspicious deaths.

“When you actually start to add in, you know, disputed cases, for example, people that have claimed it’s a suicide or death due to exposure, but in fact there’s symptoms or signs that maybe it wasn’t, then of course the numbers jump,” Hajdu said ahead of a Liberal cabinet meeting.

More at: https://warriorpublications.wordpres...ster-suggests/
    Gender should never be a death sentence. http://www.facebook.com/The.Worldwide.War.on.Girls. A civilized nation doesn't tolerate violence against women. http://www.facebook.com/TheSilenceStopsNow?ref=hl. Microlending harbors tremendous potential to improve the economic, social, political, and educational empowerment of women and children. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Globa...417742?fref=ts

Brazil Bans Monsanto Pesticide. This is HUGE.
    February 17, 2016
    by Gary TruthKings

Yesterday I reported that chemicals being used in Brazil’s water were being linked to Microcephaly by a group of Argentinian Doctors. That chemical, larvacide, is also being linked to Monsanto (a claim they vehemently deny…because of course they do). Larvacide is actually larvicide pyriproxyfen. The pesticide in question is sold under the commercial name, SumiLarv, which is manufactured by a Japanese subsidary of Monsanto.

Pyriproxyfen is a growth inhibitor of mosquito larvae, which alters the development process from larva to pupa to adult, thus generating malformations in developing mosquitoes and killing or disabling them. It acts as an insect juvenile hormone or juvenoid, and has the effect of inhibiting the development of adult insect characteristics (for example, wings and mature external genitalia) and reproductive development. It is an endocrine disruptor and is teratogenic (causes birth defects).

As of today, Brazil has banned the use of this pesticide. So what does that mean? It is a clear indication that Brazil is second-guessing the Zika – Microcephaly links which have been overstated in the media for weeks now, encouraging a sad state of fear.

“the suspension was communicated to the 19 Regional Health Coordinating Authorities, which in turn will inform the respective Municipal Monitoring services” in all cities in the state, according to Fox News Latino.

Mainstream media is justifying Brazil’s pesticide ban as “precautionary and not decisive,” but that’s just media outlets creating reactionary spin. A country the size and scope of Brazil would not mandate such an enormous change if they weren’t at least highly suspicious of a dangerous situation. Brazil is now clearly feeling confident that the issues with microcephaly are traced to places other than Zika. And they are acting on it. If Zika were a proof-positive link, this matter would already be resolved. Instead, one of the largest countries in the world just changed their entire water system to accommodate a new theory. The mainstream media is doing all it can to downplay the move, even going so far as to dismiss Monsanto’s role (which can be clearly sourced in paragraph 1).

And what about the supposed connection to Monsanto? There’s no evidence for that either. The maker of Pyriproxyfen is the Tokyo-based Sumitomo Chemical Corp. Tech Times reported that Sumitomo is “associated with” Monsanto, and noted that the doctors’ group called Sumitomo a “subsidiary” of Monsanto. (Fortune)

http://truthkings.com/2016/02/17/bra...irth-defects/#

Note: All of the online references I could find to this are not from "trusted" read MSM sources. Here's a list from 2015 that lists the countries hat have banned "roundup" as it's called commercially.

Here is a list of bans which are either in effect or on their way all around the world, as well as studies showing the damages caused by Monsanto’s products:
    Glyphosate ban

Sri Lanka

Sri Lanka’s Newly Elected President Bans Glyphosate (Monsanto Roundup) – Deadly Chronic Kidney Disease Increased 5-Fold

Sri Lanka’s newly elected president, Maithripala Sirisena, has announced that the import of Monsanto’s favorite killing-tool, glyphosate, will no longer be allowed in the country.

Sirisena is a farmer and ex health minister, and blames glyphosate for rising rates of chronic kidney disease (CKD) throughout the Sri Lankan farming community.

The Netherlands

Netherlands Bans Monsanto’s Roundup to Protect Citizens from Carcinogenic Glyphosate

Late last year, the Dutch parliament voted to ban the sale of glyphosate-based herbicides to private parties. The ban, under which agricultural use is excluded, was initially proposed several years ago. However, it is thought that Monsanto influence prevented it from taking place at the time.

Brazil

Brazil’s Public Prosecutor Wants to Ban Monsanto’s Chemicals Following Recent Glyphosate-Cancer Link

While some agencies in Brazil have been busy giving 3 new GMO crops green lights, the country’s public prosecutor has written the Brazil’s National Health Surveillance Agency (ANVISA) asking it to urgently re-evaluate their stance on the ‘likely carcinogenic’ herbicide ingredient, glyphosate. The letter was written with an expectation that the agency will ban the main ingredient in Monsanto’s best selling herbicide.

Germany (European Union)

German Ministers Call for EU-Wide Ban on Monsanto’s Deadly Glyphosate Herbicide (Roundup)

State consumer protection ministers in Germany are advocating an EU-wide ban on glyphosate herbicides in response to the World Health Organization’s (WHO) categorization of the chemical as “probably carcinogenic.”

Argentina

30,000 Doctors in Argentina Demand that Glyphosate (Monsanto Roundup) Be Banned

The doctors are part of FESPROSA, Argentina’s Union of medical professionals. Citing the World Health Organization’s recent declaration that the glyphosate chemicals used in Monsanto’s best-selling herbicide Round Up (formulated to use on Round Up Ready crops) are “likely carcinogenic,” they add an additional disclaimer:

Glyphosate is also associated with:

Spontaneous abortions

Birth defects

Skin disease

Respiratory illness

Neurological disease

Bermuda

Bermuda Suspends Glyphosate-Ridden Monsanto Roundup Indefinitely

Following a recent study on Monsanto’s best-selling herbicide Roundup and its main chemical ingredient glyphosate, Bermuda has decided to suspend any importation of glyphosate/Roundup until further research give reason to lift the suspension.
    GMOs ban

France

French Parliament Moves Beyond Monsanto, Bans GMO Corn

France’s lower house of Parliament banned GM corn in a sweeping fashion, Reuters reported. Now, no variety of GM corn can be cultivated because of its toxic threats to the soil, insects and human health.

U.S.

The Maui GMO Ban and the Monsanto-Dow Criminal Human Experimentation

In the last election, the voters of Maui, in a ballot measure, decided to place a temporary ban on further Dow/Monsanto GMO/pesticide experiments in Maui County.

Immediately, Monsanto, Dow, and yes, even the County government of Maui (betraying their own voters), lined up against the results of the vote.

Hungary

Hungary Destroys All Monsanto GMO Corn Fields

Hungary has taken a bold stand against biotech giant Monsanto and genetic modification by destroying 1000 acres of maize found to have been grown with genetically modified seeds, according to Hungary deputy state secretary of the Ministry of Rural Development Lajos Bognar.

Unlike many European Union countries, Hungary is a nation where genetically modified (GM) seeds are banned.

Peru

Peru Passes Monumental Ten-Year Ban on Genetically Modified Foods

In an act of defiance against bloated biotech companies like Monsanto, Peru has officially passed a law banning genetically modified ingredients within the nation for a period of 10 years…

While the ban will stop the flow of GM foods within the nation’s borders, a recent test conducted by the Peruvian Association of Consumers and Users (ASPEC) found that 77 percent of supermarket products tested contained GM contaminants.

Russia

Why Is Russia Banning GMOs While the US Keeps Approving Them?

The VP of Russia’s National Association for Genetic Safety, Irina Ermakova, has said:

“It is necessary to ban GMOs, to impose moratorium (on) it for 10 years… It has been proven that not only in Russia, but also in many other countries in the world, GMOs are dangerous. Methods of obtaining the GMOs are not perfect, therefore, at this stage, all GMOs are dangerous. Consumption and use of GMOs obtained in such way can lead to tumors, cancers and obesity among animals.

China

Geopolitics of Organic Food: Russia, China and France Ban GMOs

Russia’s stance against GMO is mirrored elsewhere, including in France where just recently Monsanto’s GM corn was banned and in China where the importing of US GM corn has been outlawed. The backlash against GMO has widespread appeal due to well-placed health and environmental concerns among increasingly informed populations. But the drive to push back against GMO in nations like Russia and China also has a geopolitical dimension.
    Studies

Monsanto Double Standards and the Crumbling “Scientific Myths” of the GMO Biotech Sector

Monsanto Roundup: The Impacts of Glyphosate Herbicide on Human Health. Pathways to Modern Diseases

Study Shows Monsanto Roundup Herbicide Link to Birth Defects

Cancer of Corruption, Seeds of Destruction: The Monsanto GMO Whitewash

Former Pro-GMO Biotech Scientist Admits GMOs Aren’t Safe, Refutes Claims by Monsanto

The Toxic Impacts of GMO Maize: Scientific Journal Bows to Monsanto, Retracts anti-Monsanto Study

More Evidence that Herbicide Glyphosate (Monsanto Roundup) Causes Cancer

Chronic Kidney Failure 5 Times Higher in Glyphosate-Ridden (Monsanto Roundup) Areas, Study Confirms
    The original source of this article is Global Research
    Copyright © Julie Lévesque, Global Research, 2015

http://www.globalresearch.ca/the-end...nsanto/5452183

Monsanto neither manufactures that particular compound nor does it own part or all of Sumitomo. That alone makes me think that the rest of the story is bullshit as well.
    Flavia

Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Monsanto neither manufactures that particular compound nor does it own part or all of Sumitomo. That alone makes me think that the rest of the story is bullshit as well.
    But the author's name is apparently Gary Truthkings, so I assume I can trust him? Also, he's a chemtrailer...

Most of the stuff on Monsanto I could find online was in the same vein as this piece. I left out the last paragraph because I felt it was a bit over the top.

If the mosquito isn't responsible for what is happening in Brazil, and so many countries not only in SA but in Europe have banned the stuff how can we say what this person is reporting isn't true? I highlighted Argentina's response because it directly addresses what is happening in Brazil. I may not care for the source but someone's got to do the muckraking because the MSM isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    Most of the stuff on Monsanto I could find online was in the same vein as this piece. I left out the last paragraph because I felt it was a bit over the top.

If the mosquito isn't responsible for what is happening in Brazil, and so many countries not only in SA but in Europe have banned the stuff how can we say what this person is reporting isn't true? I highlighted Argentina's response because it directly addresses what is happening in Brazil. I may not care for the source but someone's got to do the muckraking because the MSM isn't.
    It's very difficult to prove a negative... To some people Obama still hasn't proven that he isn't a Muslim

A quick search didn't turn up any evidence of pyriproxyfen being previously banned anywhere. Where did you read that? According to sources I could find it has been sold both in US and EU for about 20 years now. Perhaps you mixed up with glyphosate?

Monsanto is such an easy boogeyman, that's why those authors used their name. I don't think it was just ignorance.
    Flavia

Page 338 of 355 FirstFirst ... 88238288313328334335336337338339340341342348 ... LastLast