Agree Agree:  1,071
Likes Likes:  1,141
Page 627 of 630 FirstFirst ... 377527577602617623624625626627628629630 LastLast
Results 9,391 to 9,405 of 9443

Re: World News Random, Random

Julia Davis
    @JuliaDavisNews

Everyone has had it with Trump. Even the Russians.

Trump administration talk about starting a new arms race has the Kremlin on edge. It's as if they suddenly realized their buffoon has his finger on the thermonuclear button.

https://thedailybeast.com/russian-st...haired-monster

Russian state TV host wondered out loud why Trump isn’t being impeached for planning to reverse a decades-long moratorium on nuclear testing—a stunning shift, after Russia cheered him on throughout his actual impeachment and trial a few months ago.
    “No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.” – Lily Tomlin.

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    Julia Davis
    @JuliaDavisNews

Everyone has had it with Trump. Even the Russians.

Trump administration talk about starting a new arms race has the Kremlin on edge. It's as if they suddenly realized their buffoon has his finger on the thermonuclear button.

https://thedailybeast.com/russian-st...haired-monster

Russian state TV host wondered out loud why Trump isn’t being impeached for planning to reverse a decades-long moratorium on nuclear testing—a stunning shift, after Russia cheered him on throughout his actual impeachment and trial a few months ago.
    They may have been supportive of Trump during the impeachment trial, but they've been back and forth with him throughout the Presidency. The whole point is to remove the US from the "leader of the free world" pedestal (and then blame all domestic problems on US/"the West"), so there's been plenty of ridiculing Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm8 View Post
    They may have been supportive of Trump during the impeachment trial, but they've been back and forth with him throughout the Presidency. The whole point is to remove the US from the "leader of the free world" pedestal (and then blame all domestic problems on US/"the West"), so there's been plenty of ridiculing Trump.
    Thanks for clearing that up.

Merkel declines Trump’s G-7 invitation, citing coronavirus travel concerns

By
    Anne Gearan
    May 30, 2020 at 1:32 p.m. EDT

German Chancellor Angela Merkel has declined President Trump’s invitation to attend an in-person meeting of the Group of Seven next month in Washington, citing concerns about the coronavirus pandemic.

Trump plans to hold the world-leader gathering at the White House in late June as a sign of recovery from the pandemic that has killed more than 100,000 Americans and more than 365,000 worldwide.

Merkel objected to holding the meeting in person, which requires travel that a government spokesman suggested is unnecessary. The United States has more cases than any of the other members of the G-7: Germany, France, Japan, Italy, Canada and the United Kingdom.

“The federal chancellor thanks President Trump for his invitation to the G-7 summit at the end of June in Washington. As of today, considering the overall pandemic situation, she cannot agree to her personal participation, to a journey to Washington,” the spokesman said in a statement provided to The Washington Post. “She will of course continue to monitor the development of the pandemic.”

The White House would not confirm Merkel’s decision to decline, which was first reported by Politico. Trump spoke with another G-7 leader, Emmanuel Macron of France, on Saturday, and the two presidents “discussed progress on convening the G7,” according to a statement from the White House.

The Trump administration had announced in March that the annual gathering of large industrial economies would take place virtually, but switched it back to an in-person meeting earlier this month.

French President Emmanuel Macron and Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe have indicated they will attend, and British Prime Minister Boris Johnson is expected to do so. Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has not committed, citing health concerns.

“There are significant health preoccupations that we have around holding an in-person meeting,” Trudeau said Wednesday, during a news conference. “Would we then as leaders have to self-isolate when we return, which is right now the rule in Canada?”

Abe may also have to self-isolate upon his return to Japan.

Italy’s participation is unclear.

Seung Min Kim and Souad Mekhennet contributed to this report.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...d59_story.html

"...a sign of recovery from the pandemic..." What rose-colored glasses must that man be looking through or in what alternate reality must that man still be living?

Good decision by Merkel. The others should follow suit. GH

CNN Breaking News @cnnbrk

President Donald Trump has announced he is postponing the G7 until at least September and wants to invite four additional countries to the summit

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/30/polit...ber/index.html

Trump postpones the annual Group of Seven meeting of world leaders until September at the earliest, wants to include Russia

By
    Anne Gearan and
    Seung Min Kim
    May 30, 2020 at 9:31 p.m. EDT

President Trump said Saturday that he will postpone until at least September the annual Group of Seven meeting of world leaders, which he had wanted to hold in-person by the end of June at the White House as the administration tries to project a return to normalcy amid the coronavirus pandemic.

But German Chancellor Angela Merkel had declined Trump’s invitation to come to Washington for the meeting, citing concerns about the pandemic, which has killed more than 100,000 Americans and more than 365,000 worldwide.

Trump also said he plans to invite Russia, South Korea, Australia and India — all already part of the Group of 20, which was conceived as a larger and more inclusive gathering than the G-7, with its clubby reputation.

The president informed reporters of his decision to delay the gathering until the fall aboard Air Force One as he returned from Cape Canaveral, Fla., where he had viewed the successful SpaceX shuttle launch.

“I don’t feel that as a G-7 it properly represents what’s going on in the world,” Trump said. “It’s a very outdated group of countries.”

Russia had been invited to attend the sessions for several years until 2014, when Moscow was disinvited over its invasion of Crimea. Trump has repeatedly said he wanted to include Russia again, which Merkel and others vigorously opposed

Since the other six members of the G-7 are opposed to Russia’s rejoining, it is not clear whether they would attend a meeting where Trump forced the issue. Trump said he has “roughly” broached the idea with leaders of Russia, South Korea, Australia and India.

Trump said this year’s G-7 could be held the weekend before or after the United Nations General Assembly, which is currently scheduled to begin Sept. 15. But he also indicated that the annual meeting could be held after the November election.

All the G-7 nations plus those Trump mused about adding would be represented at the U.N. gathering in September. The United States holds the rotating host position for the G-7 this year.

The G-20 is already scheduled to hold its annual meeting in November in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. That makes it unlikely that many leaders would commit to several group summits back to back this fall, which also features the U.S. presidential election.

Trump spoke with another G-7 leader, Emmanuel Macron of France, on Saturday, and the two presidents “discussed progress on convening the G7,” according to a statement from the White House.

Macron’s office later put out a statement saying that it is important for all G-7 leaders to attend the meeting while raising the possibility he might not go if Merkel was not there.

“For a face-to-face G7, everyone must be present,” the statement read, adding that “the presence of the Chancellor and the unity of Europeans is important.”

The Trump administration had announced in March that the annual gathering of large industrial economies would take place virtually, but switched it back to an in-person meeting earlier this month.

Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe had indicated he would attend, and British Prime Minister Boris Johnson was expected to do so. Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau had not committed, citing health concerns.

“There are significant health preoccupations that we have around holding an in-person meeting,” Trudeau said Wednesday, during a news conference. “Would we then as leaders have to self-isolate when we return, which is right now the rule in Canada?”

Abe might also have had to self-isolate upon his return to Japan.

Italy’s participation was unclear.

Souad Mekhennet and Karen DeYoung contributed to this report.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...d59_story.html

Once again Tiny is trying to bluff his way through something. Is UNGA going to take place in person?

Do anyone think this was a good week for Mr. Distraction? Coronavirus and unemployed personnel has been taken off the front page.
    2017 & 2018 Australian Open Champions

In any normal place and time, he would be toast. In a country like the UK, where elections can be held fairly without notice, parliament would be preparing for new ones.
    But these are not normal times. And the USA is no longer a normal place.
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

Quote Originally Posted by patrick View Post
    Do anyone think this was a good week for Mr. Distraction? Coronavirus and unemployed personnel has been taken off the front page.
    The Michael Flynn situation has been buried and I think that is important to note too. A lot has been happening on that front. A lot.

Tiny retweeted stuff from the Q people, threatened to call out the Army, etc. this week. I guess it depends on how you look at it. Any other POTUS would've given a national address along the lines of "I feel your pain", and deescalated the situation. Instead he poured fuel on the fire and dragged out the boogey man of "antifa" trying to divert attention from the agents of chaos who have been videoed. Oh, and some people were firing on reporters.

And he is still down in the polls.

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post

And he is still down in the polls.
    Not by enough. Echoing Glenn: any other president by now could count with his parent's vote and no one else. This guy is still in the 40%. Impossible to fathom.
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

About what Ti said 2 posts above, about Tiny's lack of de-escalating the situation: Did anyone else see Tiny's answer to a reporter's question where he mentioned the possibility that some of his MAGA people would show up to counter-protest outside the White House? He went on to ramble about how his MAGA people love black people and aren't racist. To me, those comments, if anyone paid attention, would also have amounted to pouring fuel on the fire.

GH

That is what Mr Distraction does best
    2017 & 2018 Australian Open Champions

Trump got lucky with this killing and the ensuing riots. He now has a fighting chance of running like a law and order candidate ala Nixon many years ago. Hopefully not succesfully this time...
    Roger forever

Page 627 of 630 FirstFirst ... 377527577602617623624625626627628629630 LastLast