Agree Agree:  827
Likes Likes:  955
Page 3 of 568 FirstFirst 1234567132853103253 ... LastLast
    Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Re: World News Random, Random

Speaking of clouds in Moscow - just saw a TV report about how a group of (government) scientists stopped rain today in a 5 square km perimeter with a 100-watt-powered mechanism running off of a van and a couple laptops. So cool. Going to see if there's anything on it in English.

(Although some are saying it failed because the clouds didn't go away completely

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm8 View Post
    Speaking of clouds in Moscow - just saw a TV report about how a group of (government) scientists stopped rain today in a 5-km perimeter with a 100-watt-powered mechanism running off of a van and a couple laptops. So cool. Going to see if there's anything on it in English.
    Here's something about it:

http://www.russiatoday.com/Top_News/...xperiment.html

Wow, so impressive!! Wasn't Bill Gates supposed to be working on a similar project?

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Yahtzee Champion, Yeti 1 Greece Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I just watched a piece on CNN about what international ships are doing to prevent piracy. Unless they neglected to show all that they're doing to prevent it, they just broadcasted a segment that international pirates can study to develop strategies for getting around it.

Smart. Real smart.

Quote Originally Posted by dryrunguy View Post
    I just watched a piece on CNN about what international ships are doing to prevent privacy. Unless they neglected to show all that they're doing to prevent it, they just broadcasted a segment that international pirates can study to develop strategies for getting around it.

Smart. Real smart.
    You mean like installing webcams in the showers? I personally think it's about damn time.
    Avatar: Munchin's Favorite Matches - #10 - Andre Agassi vs. Pete Sampras - 2000 Australian Open SF

"If I didn't play tennis, I would probably have to go see a psychiatrist" - Arthur Ashe

Bill Clinton gets his first (?) monument: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8336789.stm

Perhaps a monument for Bush the Younger in Kirkuk some time soon? Would be just as deserving...

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Yahtzee Champion, Yeti 1 Greece Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by munchin View Post
    You mean like installing webcams in the showers? I personally think it's about damn time.
    LOL! Just now saw this, munchin. I have fixed my previous post. LOL!

Poor terrorists!

It seems these are the worst of times to be a militant in Kashmir. First, a Lashkar-e-Taiba terrorist was axed to death by a teenage girl in Rajouri roughly a month ago. Now, a bear has mauled two Hizbul Mujahideen militants to death as they hid in its cave in Shopian, South Kashmir.

According to defence spokesman Lt Col J S Brar, the two commanders dared to colonise a bear's cave at Darwal Nar in Pir Panjal in Shopian and paid for it with their lives. For, late on Sunday night, as the two slept, the bear came calling.

"It attacked the armed militants and killed them on the spot," Brar said.

It was only on Monday morning that an Army patrol party saw two bodies inside the cave and, on frisking through their clothes, found that they were Hizbul Mujahideen commanders.

Medical examinations revealed that the two were mauled to death by a bear. The two were identified as Kaisar Ahmad and Saifullah, both residents of Kashmir, the spokesman said.

‘‘Two Ak 47 rifles and some ammunition were recovered from the spot,’’ he added.
    http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/i...ow/5190873.cms

Bizarre story!

Japanese fishing trawler sunk by giant jellyfish

The trawler, the Diasan Shinsho-maru, capsized off Chiba`as its three-man crew was trying to haul in a net containing dozens of huge Nomura's jellyfish.

Each of the jellyfish can weigh up to 200 kg and waters around Japan have been inundated with the creatures this year. Experts believe weather and water conditions in the breeding grounds, off the coast of China, have been ideal for the jellyfish in recent months.

The crew of the fishing boat was thrown into the sea when the vessel capsized, but the three men were rescued by another trawler, according to the Mainichi newspaper. The local Coast Guard office reported that the weather was clear and the sea was calm at the time of the accident.

One of the largest jellyfish in the world, the species can grow up to 2 meters in diameter. The last time Japan was invaded on a similar scale, in the summer of 2005, the jellyfish damaged nets, rendered fish inedible with their toxic stings and even caused injuries to fishermen.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/648...jellyfish.html

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
    Eeek! I would have flipped out. I'm glad the fishermen are fine.

Im glad the fishermen are okay. Scary.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Jellyfish, one of my greatest fears/phobias. ugh
    Meet again we do, old foe...

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (AP) - Just a year after the global downturn derailed Dubai's explosive growth, the city is now so swamped in debt that it's asking for a six-month reprieve on paying its bills - causing a drop on world markets Thursday and raising questions about Dubai's reputation as a magnet for international investment.

http://apnews.myway.com//article/200...D9C7EEHO1.html

Wouldn't have paid much attention to this if not for their tennis aspirations.

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by winston View Post
    DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (AP) - Just a year after the global downturn derailed Dubai's explosive growth, the city is now so swamped in debt that it's asking for a six-month reprieve on paying its bills - causing a drop on world markets Thursday and raising questions about Dubai's reputation as a magnet for international investment.

http://apnews.myway.com//article/200...D9C7EEHO1.html

Wouldn't have paid much attention to this if not for their tennis aspirations.
    The whole thing (Dubai) has been ridiculous for a while. I really don't see how people can be surprised.
    I disapprove of this message

Page 3 of 568 FirstFirst 1234567132853103253 ... LastLast