Agree Agree:  187
Likes Likes:  290
Page 200 of 200 FirstFirst ... 100150175190196197198199200
Results 2,986 to 2,990 of 2990

Re: Other Sports Random, Random

ESPN has shown that they will blow any OBJ story out of proportion even though they've laughed off and given only slight coverage to another player's story. And that includes high profile players, Gronk in particular was always treated with a good natured he's just having fun and who wouldn't enjoy their celebrity vs. OBJ is ruining everything.

There is a ton they could be covering from the baseball scandal to NFL conference championships, I see no reason this should've seen any coverage today, and yet it definitely got a decent amount. He's acted like an idiot that night and was likely drunk, but yesterday's coverage was plenty, there is no reason to drag this coverage out.

On Sunday's I tend to watch the Olympic Channel. More often than not they feature winter sports including one of my favorites speed skating. Glenn, with your experience in figure skating why do you think the Russians seem to be dominating this sport right now, especially their male skaters?
    There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.

― Frank Zappa

Ti, What a fun question.....As you know, I am always skeptical of how much the Russians are trying to fix the judging in their favor (and the truth is....always a pretty big amount). Still, Russia does have a pretty wonderful development program for young skaters. This has really taken off in their domination of women's skating at every level. Their men have become pretty dominant in Europe, but when the rest of the world is thrown in, especially Japan and the U.S., Russia in not overly dominant. Still, their men also benefit from the development programs. Russia (and formerly the Soviet Union) has always been very dominant in the pairs and dance disciplines. It is quite curious that a Russian dance team beat the favored French team at European's. Also, in pairs, they still have some pretty stiff competition, mostly from China, but other countries mixed in as well. And yes, the Russian teams are very well prepared in those disciplines.

This note has sounded more neutral toward Russia than I actually feel. No matter how well-prepared they are, and no matter how likely they would be to win without the shenanigans involving judging, there is basically always some shenanigans involving judging when Russian skaters are involved. So, for me, even when it is clear that they should be dominating (see ladies at European's for instance), I am still always skeptical of how much "help" they get in the judging process.

GH

Quote Originally Posted by GlennHarman View Post
    Ti, What a fun question.....As you know, I am always skeptical of how much the Russians are trying to fix the judging in their favor (and the truth is....always a pretty big amount). Still, Russia does have a pretty wonderful development program for young skaters. This has really taken off in their domination of women's skating at every level. Their men have become pretty dominant in Europe, but when the rest of the world is thrown in, especially Japan and the U.S., Russia in not overly dominant. Still, their men also benefit from the development programs. Russia (and formerly the Soviet Union) has always been very dominant in the pairs and dance disciplines. It is quite curious that a Russian dance team beat the favored French team at European's. Also, in pairs, they still have some pretty stiff competition, mostly from China, but other countries mixed in as well. And yes, the Russian teams are very well prepared in those disciplines.

This note has sounded more neutral toward Russia than I actually feel. No matter how well-prepared they are, and no matter how likely they would be to win without the shenanigans involving judging, there is basically always some shenanigans involving judging when Russian skaters are involved. So, for me, even when it is clear that they should be dominating (see ladies at European's for instance), I am still always skeptical of how much "help" they get in the judging process.

GH
    You should've been a diplomat when that meant something. Wink.
    Thanks.
    There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.

― Frank Zappa

NASCAR
    @NASCAR

NEWS: Today's 62nd running of the #DAYTONA500 has been postponed due to inclement weather.

The race will resume on Monday at 4 PM ET on FOX.

#ETTD

― Frank Zappa

Page 200 of 200 FirstFirst ... 100150175190196197198199200