Agree Agree:  167
Likes Likes:  276
Page 195 of 195 FirstFirst ... 95145170185191192193194195
Results 2,911 to 2,923 of 2923

Re: Other Sports Random, Random

The Daily Edge
    ‏@TheDailyEdge

BREAKING: Popular sports live-tweeter @realDonaldTrump fails to tweet a congratulations for #USWNT following 2-0 victory over Netherlands in World Cup Final. It's his most shocking oversight since he congratulated the white #2 NFL draft pick, but not the black #1 NFL draft pick.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

This man did though. Check the likes

Barack Obama
    ‏Verified account
    @BarackObama

Yes! Fourth star. Back to back. Congrats to the record breakers on the @USWNT, an incredible team that’s always pushing themselves—and the rest of us—to be even better. Love this team. #OneNationOneTeam

12:20 PM - 7 Jul 2019
    1,989 replies 31,078 retweets 182,795 likes
    Reply 2.0K Retweet 31K Liked 183K
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Meanwhile...

The Resistance ����
    ‏@NightlyPolitics

People in the bar chanting:

“F*ck Trump, F*ck Trump”

Right on @FoxNews
    pic.twitter.com/RQEcFUs2tH

Piers Morgan Is Unbearable
    ‏Verified account
    @jbillinson

Megan Rapinoe standing on a parade float in Manhattan with a bottle of Veuve in one hand and the World Cup trophy in the other shouting “I DESERVE THIS.”

There will never be a bigger mood.

pic.twitter.com/GjHMjGkgsS
    Why that Twitter handle you ask?

Also she's not drinking just any old Veuve Cliquot. She's drinking this one.

She's drinking the brand of Veuve created to honor the woman who took over her late husband’s wine business and built it into one of the most iconic champagne houses in the world. H/T to @jbillinson

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Conservative media is having a heart attack over Megan Rapinoe. "she spews drivel" "she has no interest in talking to you" "she is not a role model" Article after article.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, Deal or No Deal Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, mahjong Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Quick Words Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shtexas View Post
    Conservative media is having a heart attack over Megan Rapinoe. "she spews drivel" "she has no interest in talking to you" "she is not a role model" Article after article.
    On the flip side of the coin, a British male friend made a great point on Facebook a few days back. His exact post: "I hate seeing posts calling the USA team great role models for women. They’re role models for all of us. We all need their poise, dedication, class and fearlessness. A richly deserved win."

How much are men paid for participation in the World Cup and how much women?
    Roger forever

Quote Originally Posted by suliso View Post
    How much are men paid for participation in the World Cup and how much women?
    US Men were paid $55k for the 2014 World Cup, and the US Women were paid $23750 for this World Cup.
    https://heavy.com/sports/2019/06/usa...ow-much-money/

FIFA prize money for the 2018 World Cup was $38M to the winning team, and the 2019 World Cup was $4M.
    https://www.cnbc.com/2018/07/12/the-...ize-money.html

Quote Originally Posted by dryrunguy View Post
    On the flip side of the coin, a British male friend made a great point on Facebook a few days back. His exact post: "I hate seeing posts calling the USA team great role models for women. They’re role models for all of us. We all need their poise, dedication, class and fearlessness. A richly deserved win."
    Sure they are, but those who were not lacking in role models that looked like them being in the spotlight need to also take a step back and realize why they are emphasizing the group that they are in the role model discussion and just be okay with it not necessarily mentioning them specifically. It's great that men are inspired by this team, they should be. There were a lot of little boys and girls at the parade yesterday, it is definitely resonating with everyone. But no need to downplay that it is women in the spotlight this time around and it is a big difference than who've we've celebrated like this in the past and how that does seem to be having an impact on young girls, not just directly but indirectly as well.

Consider that we are going this crazy about the women's soccer team winning in this manner, but have never ever celebrated the women's national basketball team anywhere near the same despite their complete and utter world dominance in a way that even this soccer team cannot come close to claiming. So, it's great that it's women this time. It has almost never been. It's not a complete celebration of women across the board in sports, it is just this one team people are excited about.

I would also add that Rapinoe has the charisma to get big endorsements. That is the true test of this outpouring of support for the team.

I don't think that is going to happen though.

Does anyone have the TV numbers in comparing both 2019 to 2015 - and then 2019 to (mens) 2018? A quick google search did not yield what I had hoped.

Someone in our tennis beer league was spouting off last night and I had no data to combat what I felt were his inaccuracies.

Quote Originally Posted by fastbackss View Post
    Does anyone have the TV numbers in comparing both 2019 to 2015 - and then 2019 to (mens) 2018? A quick google search did not yield what I had hoped.

Someone in our tennis beer league was spouting off last night and I had no data to combat what I felt were his inaccuracies.
    https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/08/wome...ens-final.html

Sigh - one would think a search would have netted that link. Thanks Jazz

Page 195 of 195 FirstFirst ... 95145170185191192193194195