Agree Agree:  99
Likes Likes:  183
Page 174 of 174 FirstFirst ... 74124149164170171172173174
Results 2,596 to 2,601 of 2601

Re: Other Sports Random, Random

The Netherlands have been three times World Cup Runner ups (men's). So maybe not that big a shock.
    Starry starry night

Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

Yeah but...that's mens There are some very big differences...for example Canada - 100th ranked in the mens (with 0 World Cup goals, just one winless appearance), 4th in women (4th in one wc and two Olympic bronze.)

Looking at the Netherlands previous history - one world cup appearance (1-1-1), never made Olympics. So it would be a fairly big shocker. I like that the wiki page already has decided that this "highly contributed to the popularity of women's football in the Netherlands."

Womens (field) hockey may be the biggest women's sport there...they have won 7 of the 13 World Cups. 2000 was the last time they didn't reach the final of a World Cup or Olympics (and even then they were third.)

They were hosts, I'm sure that helped to a large extent.
    Roger forever

AUGUST 9, 2017 / 1:40 PM / 15 MINUTES AGO
    U.S. sanctions Mexican soccer star Rafael Marquez for alleged drug ties

MEXICO CITY (Reuters) - The U.S. Treasury Department said on Wednesday it had sanctioned Mexican soccer star Rafael Marquez for allegedly serving as a front man for a suspected drug trafficker.

Marquez, from the cartel-riddled state of Michoacan, played in Europe for club sides Barcelona and Monaco, and still occasionally captains the national team, having represented his country in four World Cups.

Marquez, along with singer Julio Cesar Alvarez and almost two dozen other Mexican nationals, is accused of financial ties with Raul Flores Hernandez, a suspected drug trafficker with links to the Sinaloa cartel and the Jalisco New Generation gang.

Reporting by Frank Jack Daniel

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-em...medium=twitter
    "For the person that we know in the daytime, we don't need to light a lamp to see his face at night." Ghanaian Proverb

I wonder if the US Treasury understand the difference between FINANCIAL TIES and "You do this for us or we kill you and your whole family" TIES.
    As if Mexicans had a real government that will protect them from any cartel.
    Starry starry night

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    I wonder if the US Treasury understand the difference between FINANCIAL TIES and "You do this for us or we kill you and your whole family" TIES.
    As if Mexicans had a real government that will protect them from any cartel.
    I said to myself when I read it that he doesn't have much choice other than cooperate with those people. This seems like another attempt to demonize all Mexicans.
    "For the person that we know in the daytime, we don't need to light a lamp to see his face at night." Ghanaian Proverb

Page 174 of 174 FirstFirst ... 74124149164170171172173174