Page 57 of 127 FirstFirst ... 732475354555657585960616782107 ... LastLast

Re: Other Sports Random, Random

Breaking News:

TMZ first reported that retired NFL star Junior Seau was found dead Wednesday morning, and that the police were investigating after his housekeeper found the NFL legend with a fatal shutgun wound to the chest. He was 43 years old.

The report has been confirmed by the North County Times:

Pro football great and Oceanside sports legend Junior Seau has apparently committed suicide, found by a housekeeper with a gunshot wound to the chest, according to multiple sources.
    Oceanside Mayor Jim Wood said he learned of the death from police Chief Frank McCoy.
    Police responded to Seau's home on The Strand on Wednesday after receiving a call about a reported suicide. The San Diego County medical examiner's office said an investigator was sent to the scene.
    If Seau committed suicide by shooting himself in the chest, it is similar to the way former Chicago Bears great Dave Duerson ended his life. Duerson shot himself in the chest on February 17 -- the method used so that his brain could be examined for symptoms of CTE (chronic traumatic encephalopathy), a trauma-induced disease common to NFL players and others who have received repeated blows to the head.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...182120394.html
    Oh heaven...I wake with good intentions but the day it always lasts too long... Emeli Sande

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, National Treasure Pinball Champion, Midi Golf Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Base Jumping Champion, Putt it in Golf Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Battleship Champion, Yeti 1 Greece Champion, Archery Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That is so sad.
    Gender should never be a death sentence. http://www.facebook.com/The.Worldwide.War.on.Girls. A civilized nation doesn't tolerate violence against women. http://www.facebook.com/TheSilenceStopsNow?ref=hl. Microlending harbors tremendous potential to improve the economic, social, political, and educational empowerment of women and children. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Globa...417742?fref=ts

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

OMG! How sad...

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Yahtzee Champion, Deuces Wild Champion Kirkus's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Sorry. I didn't know this was posted here. I just posted about it in In Memoriam.

::

This is tragic, no doubt. RIP.
    Happy Halloween!

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

I think the number of ex-NFL players suing the league due to CTE is ridiculous. I'd think the same thing about boxers.

Can you actually look at the sport and not think it's dangerous? Is it someone else's responsibility because you chose to engage in the sport?
    Happy Halloween!

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, National Treasure Pinball Champion, Midi Golf Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Base Jumping Champion, Putt it in Golf Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Battleship Champion, Yeti 1 Greece Champion, Archery Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

He had an accident a few years ago where he supposedly fell asleep at the wheel and drive off a cliff--and somehow survived.

Now you have to wonder what that may have really been about... Unless I'm incorrectly remembering the events.
    Gender should never be a death sentence. http://www.facebook.com/The.Worldwide.War.on.Girls. A civilized nation doesn't tolerate violence against women. http://www.facebook.com/TheSilenceStopsNow?ref=hl. Microlending harbors tremendous potential to improve the economic, social, political, and educational empowerment of women and children. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Globa...417742?fref=ts

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by dryrunguy View Post
    He had an accident a few years ago where he supposedly fell asleep at the wheel and drive off a cliff--and somehow survived.

Now you have to wonder what that may have really been about... Unless I'm incorrectly remembering the events.
    That was after some kind of domestic violence call or incident or charge or something.

Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    TMZ first reported that retired NFL star Junior Seau was found dead Wednesday morning, and that the police were investigating after his housekeeper found the NFL legend with a fatal shutgun wound to the chest. He was 43 years old.

The report has been confirmed by the North County Times:

If Seau committed suicide by shooting himself in the chest, it is similar to the way former Chicago Bears great Dave Duerson ended his life. Duerson shot himself in the chest on February 17 -- the method used so that his brain could be examined for symptoms of CTE (chronic traumatic encephalopathy), a trauma-induced disease common to NFL players and others who have received repeated blows to the head.
    Is this true? Was there a suicide note detailing the intent, or is this just conjecture?

Tragic in any case.

Would be wonderful if it would mean the demise of this ridiculous sport (yeah, fat chance).

More offseason good news for Notre Dame football. According to the Chicago Tribune, after police responded to a "madhouse of people" drinking at an off-campus house party late last night, two Fighting Irish players wound up being arrested. And quarterback Tommy Rees—a 19-year-old who will be a junior next fall—is still in jail and looking at a possible felony charge.

Here's more from the Trib's account:

As officers approached, five or six people hopped a fence and led police on a chase, Trent said. The officers caught up with the group and used their hands to corral them, but Rees "actively resisted," Trent said.

"It wasn't terribly violent, but it was enough to be considered resisting," he said.

One officer suffered a minor scrape and "had the wind knocked out of him" while trying to stop the group, Trent said. Rees lifted a knee into that officer, Trent said. Rees also was pepper-sprayed while on the ground, police said.

Television station WSBT reported that Rees, whose blood-alcohol level was allegedly .11, delivered a blow to the cop's stomach with his knee. Notre Dame linebacker Carlos Calabrese, 21, was also arrested and charged with disorderly conduct—a misdemeanor—but he was released on $150 bond. But Rees was still being held without bail until local prosecutors could determine exactly what charges to bring, a process that could take as long as 48 hours.

http://deadspin.com/5907359/?utm_cam...ium=socialflow
    Oh heaven...I wake with good intentions but the day it always lasts too long... Emeli Sande

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkus View Post
    I think the number of ex-NFL players suing the league due to CTE is ridiculous. I'd think the same thing about boxers.

Can you actually look at the sport and not think it's dangerous? Is it someone else's responsibility because you chose to engage in the sport?
    I remember reading (a long time ago) that there are some helmets that offer much better protection, but the NFL deemed them too ungainly. Aesthetics won the day.
    I agree with you, but:
    You are 21. And they make you this offer: You can make several million $$$, and be famous, but you will be running a 1% chance of being dead or with some physical disabilities by the time you are in your mid 40's.
    How many 21- years- old will NOT take that offer?
    50 ways to leave your (non) lover: "I hope you understand me when I say it was torture having met you"

The USA show "Necessary Roughness" did a very good episode last season on CTE. So did the CBS show "A Gifted Man".

It's a horrible condition. Neither show presented a happy ending for the athletes involved.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    I remember reading (a long time ago) that there are some helmets that offer much better protection, but the NFL deemed them too ungainly. Aesthetics won the day.
    I agree with you, but:
    You are 21. And they make you this offer: You can make several million $$$, and be famous, but you will be running a 1% chance of being dead or with some physical disabilities by the time you are in your mid 40's.
    How many 21- years- old will NOT take that offer?
    Not to mention that these guys are exalted as gods during the first 18-21 years of their lives, being big fish in little ponds at least during their high school years, and are perhaps even more prone to having invincibility complexes than the average kid. Amie's story about the Notre Dame QB seems to confirm that. He has spent most of his life believing he can do whatever he wants to and there should never be any consequences or poor outcomes.

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

The Kentucky Derby and NASCAR at Talladega. Pinch me
    Happy Halloween!

The USFL is back in business. 8 teams, playing a 14 game season, starting in 2013.
    Ssshh. Don't tell PEHK I am cheating on him with Dominic Thiem!

Inactive, & loving Jesus
    Awards Showcase

Space Invaders Champion, Ms.pacman New Champion, Deal or No Deal Champion, Pacman Champion, Pool Jam - 5 Minute Game Champion, Yeti Sports 3 - Seal Bounce Champion, Ultimate Jewel Champion JTContinental's Avatar
    Blog Entries

An Arizona high school baseball team forfeits a championship match rather than play against a girl on the other team...

http://espn.go.com/high-school/story...orfeit-phoenix
    Welcome to my crazy game of fetch.

Page 57 of 127 FirstFirst ... 732475354555657585960616782107 ... LastLast