Page 4 of 193 FirstFirst 12345678142954104 ... LastLast
    Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Re: Other Sports Random, Random

:shock:

I've been watching the ISU Grand Prix's the last couple of weeks. Pleshenko (sp) is back with a bang. So is Lysacek. There are a couple of young American men but they're not ready yet. Weir just seems out of sorts and not sure what he wants to do on the ice.

The Japanese men have Daisuke, Noba(?), and another young man whose name escapes me right now.

The surprise among the Japanese women is Miki Ando. She doesn't have the on ice personality of Kim Yu-Na of Korea but she does what she does well. Mao Asata changed coaches and seems to be floundering the way Weir is. She's not sure what she wants to do on the ice.

My faves are the pairs and ice dancers though. I'm thoroughly enjoying them.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post

The surprise among the Japanese women is Miki Ando. She doesn't have the on ice personality of Kim Yu-Na of Korea but she does what she does well.
    Remember Midori Ito, Ti? That's what I always thought of her. Technically, was there a better skater at the time...and yet she seemed to have the personality of 2 day old sushi.

For me, Ice Dancing peaked in the era of Isabelle and Paul Duchesnay and Marina Klimova and Sergei Ponomarenko at the 1992 Olympics.
    With Lucas Pouille at Indian Wells (2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    Remember Midori Ito, Ti? That's what I always thought of her. Technically, was there a better skater at the time...and yet she seemed to have the personality of 2 day old sushi.

For me, Ice Dancing peaked in the era of Isabelle and Paul Duchesnay and Marina Klimova and Sergei Ponomarenko at the 1992 Olympics.
    There are some good ones now.

The Midori Ito comparison is spot on.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Was it the '92 Olympics when one ice dancing pair dressed up as marble statues and kept contorting themselves into "statue" poses? I thought that was hilarious. Less hilarious when they won the bronze.

Quote Originally Posted by shtexas View Post
    Was it the '92 Olympics when one ice dancing pair dressed up as marble statues and kept contorting themselves into "statue" poses? I thought that was hilarious. Less hilarious when they won the bronze.
    Yes, that was Usova and Zhulin in '92. And frankly, the marble statues routine was incredibly superior to the hayseed number they came up with in '94. They'd changed the rules (again) that year and nobody seemed to know what to do to please the judges.

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by winston View Post
    Yes, that was Usova and Zhulin in '92. And frankly, the marble statues routine was incredibly superior to the hayseed number they came up with in '94. They'd changed the rules (again) that year and nobody seemed to know what to do to please the judges.
    I just thought dancing should be fluid. And all those stops to pose as statues were a little too long for me. But, I do remember the rule changes a few year later with only a certain number of lifts allowed and only so high. Torville and Dean got into a lot of trouble with their crowd pleasing routine because of those confusing rules.

SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by winston View Post
    Yes, that was Usova and Zhulin in '92.
    Usova and Zhulin did a routine to Gershwin's "Summertime" one year that was amazing. I have it on VHS somewhere.

But they were always in Klimova and Ponomarenko's shadows for grace, and the Duchesnay's for pizazz.

Blog Entries

Last night, Robert Enke, goal keeper of Hannover 96 and also of Germany's national team, committed suicide. He suffered from severe depressions. such a tragedy... My heart goes out to his family, his friends, his team mates. Rest in peace, Robert.

(Pic shows the funeral procession of fans and team mates after the memorial. 35,000 people joined. Hannover 96 has decided not to give out the No. 1 jersey in the future.)

Tour Champion
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

I've been watching the ISU Grand Prix's the last couple of weeks. Pleshenko (sp) is back with a bang. So is Lysacek. There are a couple of young American men but they're not ready yet. Weir just seems out of sorts and not sure what he wants to do on the ice.

The Japanese men have Daisuke, Noba(?), and another young man whose name escapes me right now.

The surprise among the Japanese women is Miki Ando. She doesn't have the on ice personality of Kim Yu-Na of Korea but she does what she does well. Mao Asata changed coaches and seems to be floundering the way Weir is. She's not sure what she wants to do on the ice.

I LOATHE Lysacek. I hate that he's using Firebird and Scheherazade as his programs. He flails his arms too much and thinks that caressing his face is cute. Next week will be Chan's debut, his tango program is mesmerizing. Abott's program to "A Day in the Life" is absolutely gorgeous as well. Daisuke's short is well choreographed while his long is so-so. Oda's long is cute, and I don't really think the next Olympic champion should be cute.

Skate America is on this week. Kim is headlining the ladies field (since surprise surprise Cohen withdrew).

Tiger Woods in a car crash. Possibly seriously injured...

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/34174324/ns/sports/
    Roger forever

SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

ABC and other sources are saying he was seriously injured...

The Florida Highway Patrol said the PGA star hit the fire hydrant and tree as he pulled out of his driveway in his 2009 Cadillac sport utility vehicle.

Woods was taken to Health Central Hospital. Officials there did not have record of him as a patient, though the news release said Woods' injuries were serious.

http://www.abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory?id=9191359

Grand Slam Champion missinandre's Avatar

I'm confused. The headlines say he was treated and released. He hit a fire hydrant.

Hope he wasn't drinking and driving!
    ROGER / RAFA FINAL 2010 US OPEN!!!!!

Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by missinandre View Post
    I'm confused. The headlines say he was treated and released. He hit a fire hydrant.

Hope he wasn't drinking and driving!
    Yes, they have updated the story

Golfer Woods in good condition after minor crash-office
    28 minutes ago

Nov 27 (Reuters) - The world’s number one golfer, Tiger Woods, was treated in hospital and released in good condition after suffering injuries in a car accident in Florida on Friday, his office said.

In a statement read by CNN, the golfer’s office said he had left hospital after being in a “minor” car crash.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/pga/new...ters&type=lgns

SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

this is turning into a real weird story - he's released, "charges are possible", but they are saying there wasn't alcohol involved.

This also interestingly comes on the heels of reports breaking in the last day that Tiger is having an affair with a female publicist named Rachel Uchitel

Page 4 of 193 FirstFirst 12345678142954104 ... LastLast