Agree Agree:  120
Likes Likes:  216
Page 2 of 182 FirstFirst 123456122752102 ... LastLast
    Grand Slam Champion missinandre's Avatar

Re: Other Sports Random, Random

Oh! Tiger with a chance to get olympic gold! Will they have just singles or will they allow "team" golf too?
    ROGER / RAFA FINAL 2010 US OPEN!!!!!

Grand Slam Champion missinandre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    Sounds like someone is complaining behind the scenes......but that's no excuse to treat the wives like child-like property to be controlled. It's one thing to put restrictions on the players but....to do that to the wives?

Get outta here!
    ROGER / RAFA FINAL 2010 US OPEN!!!!!

Grand Slam Champion owendonovan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by missinandre View Post
    Sounds like someone is complaining behind the scenes......but that's no excuse to treat the wives like child-like property to be controlled. It's one thing to put restrictions on the players but....to do that to the wives?

Get outta here!
    I hope one of those wives starts making a big fuss over this and tell's the Steinbrenner's to stick where the sun don't shine.
    Open wide.

Quote Originally Posted by suliso View Post
    Kind of deserving, but I hate the fact that they make the games ever bigger and more expensive...
    I read somewhere that the inclusion of golf and rugby brings the event total back to 28. Baseball and softball were removed from the Olympics to make room for these other two sports. Those Olympic bureaucrats really do hate America even though America with its TV money basically finances the whole games.
    Towel Avatar, do your thing!

Let's not forget all of A-Rod's women have caused media problems for the Yankees. His wife Cynthia, his bromance with Jeter , the various mistresses he's been caught with, Madonna, and now Kate Hudson. What the Yanks really need to do is get rid of A-Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles View Post
    I read somewhere that the inclusion of golf and rugby brings the event total back to 28. Baseball and softball were removed from the Olympics to make room for these other two sports. Those Olympic bureaucrats really do hate America even though America with its TV money basically finances the whole games.
    Is that why the games have been held in USA more often than in any other country?

Is that why the games have been held in USA more often than in any other country?
    The bias against America is much more recent so that is not a valid counterpoint.

If I remember correctly what doomed olympic baseball was their inability to guarantee participation of all strongest players from MLB. And that in turn most likely had something to do with mandatory drug tests for olympic athletes...

Softball by itself could never survive (too expensive and not popular enough).

If I remember correctly what doomed olympic baseball was their inability to guarantee participation of all strongest players from MLB. And that in turn most likely had something to do with mandatory drug tests for olympic athletes...

Softball by itself could never survive (too expensive and not popular enough).
    I'm sure there is a certain amount of validity to this argument, but baseball has a strong heritage throughout North and South America and parts of Asia. It isn't a completely convincing argument to get rid of baseball just because America couldn't offer up its best baseball players.

As for softball, how difficult is it to create a patch of grass with some temporary seating around it? I concede it certainly is not a popular sport, but it was one of the few women only events.

As for my personal opinion, I'm not a fan of professional athletes taking over more and more Olympic events.
    Last edited by Miles; 10-10-2009 at 01:02 PM.

I'm sure there is a certain amount of validity to this argument, but baseball has a strong heritage throughout North and South America and parts of Asia. It isn't a completely convincing argument to get rid of baseball just because America couldn't offer up its best baseball players.
    That's true and I have nothing against it.

As for softball, how difficult is it to create a patch of grass with some temporary seating around it? I concede it certainly is not a popular sport, but it was one of the few women only events.
    Sure, but you know nothing is ever done cheaply like that in contemporary Olympic games. Besides if you have to decide between softball and rugby (but why not full fugby 15???) the latter wins easily on grounds of worldwide popularity.

As for my personal opinion, I'm not a fan of professional athletes taking over more and more Olympic events.
    But 80-90% of Olympic athletes who finish in the top 25% of their sport are already professionals. Professional doesn't necessarily mean that you make millions out of it (some folks seem to think so). 50,000$ per year (or much less in poorer countries) and no other job is a proper pro as well...

Dementia Risk Higher for NFL Players

By Steven Reinberg
    HealthDay Reporter by Steven Reinberg

WEDNESDAY, Sept. 30 (HealthDay News) -- Former professional football players suffer from Alzheimer's disease or other memory-related conditions at rates far higher than the general population, a new study commissioned by the National Football League shows.

And retired players between the ages of 30 and 49 are 19 times more likely to struggle with memory problems than similarly aged men who never played professional football, the study found.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/hsn/dementia...rfornflplayers
    Has to be even worse for rugby players. Have you seen a rugby match? I never seen so much head bashing and body bashing with little to no padding in my life.

ESPN analyst and former New York Mets General Manager Steve Phillips is at the center of the latest sex scandal to rock the media.

The New York Post reports that Phillips was having an affair with 22-year-old production assistant Brooke Hundley, who sent Phillips' wife Marni a letter describing their relationship and a birthmark Phillips has on his crotch after Phillips ended their relationship.

The Post story is full of scandalous details: Hundley crashed her car into Phillips' home after dropping off the letter; she may have impersonated a 16-year-old to chat with Phillips' son online; Marni Phillips has since filed for divorce.

The Post also reports that ESPN has suspended Phillips for one week over the scandal.

Read the full NYPost report here or read Hundley's letter to Marni Phillips below:

Read more at: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/1..._n_328518.html
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Baseball analyst Steve Phillips was fired by ESPN on Sunday night, less than a week after he admitted having an affair with a production assistant at the cable network.
    A representative for Phillips also announced the former Mets general manager was entering a treatment facility "to address his personal issues."
    Phillips' acknowledgment Wednesday of his relationship with 22-year-old Brooke Hundley was splashed across the New York tabloids for days, embarrassing the Bristol, Conn.-based sports giant.
    "Steve Phillips is no longer working for ESPN," network spokesman Josh Krulewitz said in a statement. "His ability to be an effective representative for ESPN has been significantly and irreparably damaged, and it became evident it was time to part ways."

Read more at: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/1..._n_333458.html
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

If they could only keep their zippers up.
    Oh Grigor. You silly man.

(AP) ESPN broadcaster Bob Griese has been suspended one week for a remark he made about NASCAR driver Juan Pablo Montoya.

ESPN spokesman Josh Krulewitz says Griese will not be working a game this week.

Krulewitz says ESPN has spoken to Griese and "he understands the comment was inappropriate."

During ESPN's broadcast of the Minnesota-Ohio State game Saturday, a graphic was shown listing the top five drivers in NASCAR's points race. Fellow analyst Chris Spielman asked where was Montoya, who is Colombian.

Griese replied he was "out having a taco."
    He has twice apologized on air for the remark.
    Montoya is declining to comment on Griese's suspension. He brushed off the remark Sunday, and said he'd never heard of Griese.

Read more at: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/1..._n_335070.html

Page 2 of 182 FirstFirst 123456122752102 ... LastLast