Agree Agree:  168
Likes Likes:  279
Page 101 of 196 FirstFirst ... 517691979899100101102103104105111126151 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,515 of 2931

Re: Other Sports Random, Random

July 17, 2013

Blatter Pushing to Move World Cup to Winter

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

GOING, Austria — FIFA President Sepp Blatter plans to ask the governing body's executive committee to consider moving the 2022 World Cup in Qatar to the winter to avoid the searing summer heat.

"If this World Cup is to become a party for the people, you can't play football in the summer," Blatter said Wednesday. "You can cool down the stadiums but you can't cool down the whole country."

Despite health concerns included in an official report before the vote, the FIFA executive committee opted for the tiny emirate's bid in 2010. Blatter has repeatedly refused to say if he backed Qatar, which can have temperatures of 122 degrees during the summer.

The head of the local organizing committee, Hassan Al-Thawadi, said Qatar bid for a summer tournament. However, he but left open the option of a switch to another time of the year.

"It there is a wish from the football community to move the World Cup to the winter, we are open for it," said Al-Thawadi, who spoke to the conference through a live video connection

In May, Blatter said in an interview with a French newspaper it would be "not rational and reasonable" to stage the first World Cup in the Middle East in the summer.

Moving the tournament to the winter would have a major impact on the schedule of European soccer leagues, which would have to change things for at least one season.

"There is still enough time," Blatter said. "I will bring this up to the executive committee."

Air-conditioned stadiums to beat the heat were a defining theme of Qatar's bid, but the cooling technology only resolves the problem in venues for players, fans and officials.

"We have to protect our partners, our commercial partners, our TV partners. We have to be tough on this," said Blatter, who spoke during a two-day conference on sports, media and economy set up by German great Franz Beckenbauer in Austria.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2013...tml?ref=sports
    There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.”

― Frank Zappa

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    In an interview today, Sen Lindsay Graham (R-SC) suggested that a boycott of the Sochi '14 Olympics would be a good way to get Putin's attention over the Snowden incident, as well as Russia's ongoing support of Syrian President Bashar al Assad.
    Oh great. Jimmy Carter redux. I'm still mad at him on behalf on Kurt Thomas in 1980.
    Of course, I'm mad at Lindsay Graham most of the time for one thing or another.
    "A friend knows how to allow for mere quantity in your talk, and will only reply to the quality." William Dean Howells

Quote Originally Posted by winston View Post
    Oh great. Jimmy Carter redux. I'm still mad at him on behalf on Kurt Thomas in 1980.
    Of course, I'm mad at Lindsay Graham most of the time for one thing or another.
    Exactly. I thought the Putin said he would only consider amnesty if Snowden stopped leaking information about the US, which Snowden said he would not. A boycott would only allow more athletes from other countries to gain the podium - wait, in that case go for it -- Go Canada.

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    In an interview today, Sen Lindsay Graham (R-SC) suggested that a boycott of the Sochi '14 Olympics would be a good way to get Putin's attention over the Snowden incident, as well as Russia's ongoing support of Syrian President Bashar al Assad.
    On a separate note, there are a lot of calls to boycott the Sochi games. Particularly, gay rights activists are asking for a boycott because of the recent anti-'Homosexual propaganda' law in Russia and a decision by a judge to ban Pride House at the Games.

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

If individual athletes, or teams, want to boycott, that's one thing. But I'm not a fan of Olympics boycotts by entire specific countries at all. There are so many other ways on this planet to jab each other. To take a completely non-political event, that should be focused on nothing but the athletes, and use it like that is... well, it's pretty much bull shit, imo.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkus View Post
    If individual athletes, or teams, want to boycott, that's one thing. But I'm not a fan of Olympics boycotts by entire specific countries at all. There are so many other ways on this planet to jab each other. To take a completely non-political event, that should be focused on nothing but the athletes, and use it like that is... well, it's pretty much bull shit, imo.
    This.
    "A friend knows how to allow for mere quantity in your talk, and will only reply to the quality." William Dean Howells

What Kirk said. The only people hurt are the athletes who in many cases will never have another chance to compete.
    There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.”

― Frank Zappa

I have no idea where to put this.

Nate Silver Leaving 'New York Times' for ESPN (Report)

Nate Silver, the statistical guru who predicted the voting outcomes of all 50 states correctly during the 2012 presidential election, will be leaving the newspaper to be a regular contributor on ESPN, according to the Times.

The Times, citing sources, says that Silver may contribute to Keith Olbermann's forthcoming program on ESPN 2. Olbermann finalized a two-year deal with the network earlier this week for a late-night show.

(...)

Despite his visibility, Silver isn't a staff member of the Times; his blog was hosted on the newspaper's website. His contract with the paper was set to end in August, according to the newspaper's Friday report by media writer Brian Stelter.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...ew-york-589338

― Frank Zappa

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

I like me some Nate.

I'm just surprised that the Gray Lady didn't think enough of him to sign him on as a correspondent. I don't blame Nate for following the money but after the success of his projections during the last election (and his bringing tons of readership to the NY Times) you'd think they'd want to keep him. Guess to them he was just a blogger.

― Frank Zappa

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    I'm just surprised that the Gray Lady didn't think enough of him to sign him on as a correspondent. I don't blame Nate for following the money but after the success of his projections during the last election (and his bringing tons of readership to the NY Times) you'd think they'd want to keep him. Guess to them he was just a blogger.
    Or he asked for an amount they can't afford.

Grand Slam Champion owendonovan's Avatar

Keith Olbermann is going back to ESPN.

The new show "Olbermann" will generally air at 11 p.m. ET weeknights on ESPN2 and is expected to be a mix of perspective, commentary, interviews, panel discussions and highlights. The hourlong show often will follow live events and run opposite of "SportsCenter" on ESPN. It will be based at the Times Square studios in New York City.
    http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/9...-night-program
    Last edited by owendonovan; 07-20-2013 at 11:26 AM.
    Open wide.

MLB's statement on Ryan Braun's suspension
    Jul. 22, 2013 6:55 PM

MLB statement on the suspension of Ryan Braun

Commissioner Allan H. (Bud) Selig announced today that Milwaukee Brewers outfielder Ryan Braun has been suspended without pay for the remainder of the 2013 Championship Season and Postseason for violations of the Basic Agreement and its Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program. The suspension of Braun is effective immediately.

Ryan Braun said: "As I have acknowledged in the past, I am not perfect. I realize now that I have made some mistakes. I am willing to accept the consequences of those actions. This situation has taken a toll on me and my entire family, and it is has been a distraction to my teammates and the Brewers organization. I am very grateful for the support I have received from players, ownership and the fans in Milwaukee and around the country. Finally, I wish to apologize to anyone I may have disappointed - all of the baseball fans especially those in Milwaukee, the great Brewers organization, and my teammates. I am glad to have this matter behind me once and for all, and I cannot wait to get back to the game I love."

"We commend Ryan Braun for taking responsibility for his past actions," said Rob Manfred, Executive Vice President, Economics & League Affairs for Major League Baseball. "We all agree that it is in the best interests of the game to resolve this matter. When Ryan returns, we look forward to him making positive contributions to Major League Baseball, both on and off the field."

http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/u...rticle/2576533

― Frank Zappa

I hope the guy Braun threw under the bus sues him for everything he's got.

darren rovell ‏@darrenrovell 1m
    Based on 70 service days left in the season, Ryan Braun will lose $3,251,366.

― Frank Zappa

Jack Magruder ‏@JackMagruder 1h
    #Dbacks will use Ziegler as closer until further notice.

― Frank Zappa

Page 101 of 196 FirstFirst ... 517691979899100101102103104105111126151 ... LastLast