Agree Agree:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Asteroids Champion, 123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, Deal or No Deal Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Putt it in Golf Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, mahjong Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Battleship Champion, Solitaire Golf SLingo Champion, Archery Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: John Edwards to admit paternity of aide's child

Quote Originally Posted by jadesa View Post
    I haven't been following the trial, but the little I have read on this makes sense to me. The judge has to give instructions to the jury and it sounds to me like the defense was going out on a limb in their interpretation of the law in hopes they could narrow the scope and make it less likely for conviction.

I am not a lawyer, yadda yadda yadda, but from what I understand....The law states that it is illegal to "for the purpose of influencing any election for Federal office." The defense argued that this means it is only a crime if the "sole purpose" of the funds was to influence the election. Personally, I agree with the judge and the prosecution that clearly the law's intent and verbiage means that it is a crime to use funds to influence an election even if it was used for additional purposes as well.

The jury will still have to determine that the prosecution proved beyond a reasonable doubt that John Edwards purposely used the funds to influence the election.

The Edwards team can be happy, if he is convicted this will give them plenty to appeal on.
    I have to admit that I haven't been following all that closely. But is that really the scope of this trial? Or is it that he use campaign funds illegally? There's a big different between using campaign funds illegally and using campaign funds to influence an election, which seems to be the general purpose of campaign funds.

Tour Champion
    Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by dryrunguy View Post
    I have to admit that I haven't been following all that closely. But is that really the scope of this trial? Or is it that he use campaign funds illegally? There's a big different between using campaign funds illegally and using campaign funds to influence an election, which seems to be the general purpose of campaign funds.
    LOL, that's a good point!

I'm sorry, I realized I wasn't clear about which "funds" I was describing. I haven't really been following it much either, so my facts might be a little rusty, but...The prosecution alleges that the Edwards campaign took money from a donor above the cap on campaign donations. Essentially, the figure varies each year, but at the time, a person could donate $2300 to a campaign for each election (primaries and general elections are counted separately for these purposes). Apparently, Bunny Mellon provided about $725,000 to Edwards during the primary campaign.

Now, as a private person, he can borrow or take money from a friend to fund his personal life. And from what I understand, his team argues that's what happened. That he used these funds to hide his mistress from his wife and that they were not campaign contributions and had nothing at all to do with his candidacy. The prosecution is arguing that he used this money to attempt to influence the election, and that even if used solely to hide his mistress, it is because he knew it would harm his candidacy if the mistress was discovered. There are some additional charges related to filing false campaign fund reports related to this money as well.

SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

There's a verdict...
    With Lucas Pouille at Indian Wells (2018)

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    There's a verdict...
    Oh, shit! Do I leave the Isner match to watch the verdict?

Oh Grigor. You silly man.

SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Now the story is they have reached a verdict on only one count (Count 3), and the judge has sent them back to keep deliberating on the other 5.

http://www.clarionledger.com/article...-Edwards-trial

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Now the story is they have reached a verdict on only one count (Count 3), and the judge has sent them back to keep deliberating on the other 5.

http://www.clarionledger.com/article...-Edwards-trial
    I saw that too. This jury seems to be having trouble with the entire process.
    Oh Grigor. You silly man.

SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkus View Post
    This jury seems to be having trouble with the entire process.
    They are 9 days in, and they've only reached a verdict on one count. After 9 days, I cannot imagine that they are not hopelessly deadlocked on the remaining counts.

The alternates were released yesterday. Did you hear about them all dressing in the same color every day? Even the one that was caught flirting with Edwards.

MSNBC has a talking head that said that the checks in question were not cashed until after he ended his 2008 campaign. That leads to the question of why this case was even tried.

He's going on to say that the NC prosecutor was a political enemy of Edwards and appointed by one of the Bush presidents.

All of the experts say that if Edwards is convicted on any of these counts the conviction(s) would be overturned on appeal.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    All of the experts say that if Edwards is convicted on any of these counts the conviction(s) would be overturned on appeal.
    No question.

Quote Originally Posted by shtexas View Post
    No question.
    So a Republican prosecutor, I'm guessing he was appointed, decided he didn't like Edwards politically and would use Edwards personal life to get him out of politics. At the taxpayer's expense of course.

This is why I laugh when the Republican's carry on about "activist judges".

MSNBC legal consultant John Q. Kelly points out that FEC officials weren't called for the prosecution because they would've said on the stand that Edwards did not violate any Federal Election Laws.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

MSNBC has a talking head that said that the checks in question were not cashed until after he ended his 2008 campaign. That leads to the question of why this case was even tried.
    I thought Andrew Young testified that Bunny Mellon's checks started in the summer of 2007, Ti. Isn't that correct?

I thought Andrew Young testified that Bunny Mellon's checks started in the summer of 2007, Ti. Isn't that correct?
    He held the checks until after he suspended his campaign. When she issued them isn't the question. I believe that the prosecution was based on the fact that these checks were issued in 2007.

Savannah Guthrie says Edward's finance person testified that she was told by the FEC that there was no need to report the checks.

MSNBC Abe Gutierrez reporting jury found Edwards not guilty on Count 3 and are deadlocked on the other five counts. A mistrial has been declared on the other five counts.

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

MSNBC Abe Gutierrez reporting jury found Edwards not guilty on Count 3 and are deadlocked on the other five counts. A mistrial has been declared on the other five counts.
    Don't like the guy, but such a waste of time and resources.

SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Just heard the statement. He disavows the love child when practical for his career, then brags about his love for her when it serves him. I find him pathetic.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast