Agree Agree:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Re: John Edwards to admit paternity of aide's child

John Edwards, Wife Separate, Report Says

(Jan. 27) -- Former Democratic presidential candidate John Edwards, who admitted last week that he fathered a child with a videographer, separated Wednesday from his wife, Elizabeth, according to a source close to her.

Edwards, 56, denied he was the infant's father for more than a year, saying his affair with Rielle Hunter was over before she became pregnant.

The former U.S. senator from North Carolina unsuccessfully sought the 2008 Democratic presidential nomination. He was the Democratic vice presidential candidate in 2004.

Elizabeth Edwards' sister, Nancy Anania, told People magazine in an article dated Wednesday that Elizabeth told her, "I've had it. I can't do this. I want my life back."

The sister told the magazine, "She's got cancer and has young children and totally believes in marriage ... but she can only do so much."

http://www.aolnews.com/politics/arti...-says/19334711
    With Lucas Pouille at Indian Wells (2018)

SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Some might call this piling on, but I just thought it was ridiculously humorful:

Elizabeth Edwards called 911 on October 10, 2008, because "John stole her wallet"

http://www.theinsider.com/news/31833...overed_7_Calls

Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    Some might call this piling on, but I just thought it was ridiculously humorful:

Elizabeth Edwards called 911 on October 10, 2008, because "John stole her wallet"

http://www.theinsider.com/news/31833...overed_7_Calls

Or that John and his mistress allegedelly have a sex tape.

SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

John Edwards: U.S. Green-Lights Prosecution for Alleged Campaign Law Violations Tied to Affair Cover-Up

By JAMES HILL
    May 24, 2011

The United States Department of Justice has green-lighted the prosecution of former presidential candidate John Edwards for alleged violations of campaign laws while he tried to cover up an extra-marital affair, ABC News has learned.

A source close to the case said Edwards is aware that the government intends to seek an indictment and that the former senator from North Carolina is now considering his limited options. He could accept a plea bargain with prosecutors or face a potentially costly trial.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/john-...ry?id=13680079

SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

So, John Edwards was cheating on the woman he was cheating on his wife with?

John Edwards is First Name Uncovered in 'Millionaire Madam' Investigation
    March 22, 2012 7:39am | By Murray Weiss, DNAinfo Criminal Justice Editor / Columnist

MANHATTAN — A call girl working for alleged "Millionaire Madam" Anna Gristina told investigators she was paid to have sex with former U.S. Sen. John Edwards when he was in New York raising money for his failed presidential bid, DNAinfo has learned.

Edwards is the first big name to surface in connection to Gristina's alleged prostitution scheme run out of an Upper East Side apartment.

His lawyers were contacted by DNAinfo, but did not comment.

According to “On The Inside” sources, Edwards allegedly hooked up with one of Gristina’s high-end hookers in 2007 when the dashing pol from North Carolina brought his then high-flying presidential campaign to the Big Apple.

The one-night fling allegedly took place at an Upper East Side hotel suite and was arranged by an aide with help from a New Yorker familiar with Gristina’s prostitution ring, sources said.

The prostitute claiming to have slept with Edwards provided a detailed, first-hand account of their encounter to investigators in the Manhattan District Attorney's office in 2008 after they began probing Gristina’s operation, sources said.

“Most of the women don’t have any idea about the identities of the men they sleep with,” a source explained. “How would they know a money man from Wall Street or the face of a lawyer or banker who shows up?

“But the face of the national politician?” the source rhetorically asked. “She knew.”

Investigators found the woman credible, but never notified federal authorities, seeing no reason to involve the feds in a low-level local infraction, sources told DNAinfo.

At the time, investigators were shocked at the allegation because Edwards was then considered the All-American persona.

"On The Inside” sources said investigators were able to substantiate that Edwards was in New York on a fund-raising tour at the time of the alleged encounter.

Records show the Edwards campaign spent thousands of dollars for near-monthly stays at the Loews Hotels Regency at 540 Park Ave. on the Upper East Side in 2007, along with stays at several other Manhattan hotels including a Comfort Inn on West 39th Street.

The Loews Hotels Regency is also where he reportedly met videographer Rielle Hunter, who bore Edwards a love child while his wife, Elizabeth, battled cancer.

No charges, however, were ever brought against Edwards because pay-for-play sex is difficult to prove.
    side/john-edwards-first-name-uncovered-millionaire-madam-investigation#ixzz1pr5rjW81

Read more: http://www.dnainfo.com/20120322/uppe...#ixzz1pr5jz91i

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Asteroids Champion, 123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, Deal or No Deal Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Putt it in Golf Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, mahjong Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Battleship Champion, Solitaire Golf SLingo Champion, Archery Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The older I get, the more I tend to gravitate toward Craig Hickman's point of view on sleaze in politics--it probably shouldn't matter.

But still, on a purely moral level, I guess I tend to be old fashioned. I thought it would be impossible for me to further downgrade my opinion of John Edwards. I was wrong.

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

The fact I once liked him makes me question my judgement.

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shtexas View Post
    The fact I once liked him makes me question my judgement.
    I did too. But that was before we knew the "real" man.
    Oh Grigor. You silly man.

SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

I was a fan as well. But then, I was a fan of Gary Hart.

"Game Change" is incredibly harsh on Edwards. Deservedly so.

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

So, the defense rested.

The man may be scum, and the prosecutors did a good job of showing him to be a bad husband, an adulterer, that he had a child out of wedlock, and he lied about it. But, last I heard, those are not the crimes of which he is charged. I really didn't hear of too much evidence regarding the actual crimes of which he is accused. Seems paper thin. He is a liar, therefore, he must have done all these things too. And he probably did. But, where is all the evidence.

Quote Originally Posted by shtexas View Post
    So, the defense rested.

The man may be scum, and the prosecutors did a good job of showing him to be a bad husband, an adulterer, that he had a child out of wedlock, and he lied about it. But, last I heard, those are not the crimes of which he is charged. I really didn't hear of too much evidence regarding the actual crimes of which he is accused. Seems paper thin. He is a liar, therefore, he must have done all these things too. And he probably did. But, where is all the evidence.
    I agree. It seemed to me they were going after him for being a piece of crap. If they prosecuted everyone for that offense...
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Asteroids Champion, 123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, Deal or No Deal Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Putt it in Golf Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, mahjong Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Battleship Champion, Solitaire Golf SLingo Champion, Archery Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm not sure what this means.

John Edwards rested his case today, but his defense was dealt a blow when the federal judge said she will set a lower bar than Edwards' legal team had sought for convicting the former presidential candidate of violating the federal campaign finance law.

The judge's decision about how she will instruct the jury came just hours after Edwards' lawyers ended their case, not with the bang of the candidate and his mistress testifying, but with a series of bank statements, phone records and Federal Election Commission memos and a final shot at the credibility of Edwards' chief accuser.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/john-...5#.T7Q3juhSSKK

Quote Originally Posted by dryrunguy View Post
    I'm not sure what this means.

John Edwards rested his case today, but his defense was dealt a blow when the federal judge said she will set a lower bar than Edwards' legal team had sought for convicting the former presidential candidate of violating the federal campaign finance law.

The judge's decision about how she will instruct the jury came just hours after Edwards' lawyers ended their case, not with the bang of the candidate and his mistress testifying, but with a series of bank statements, phone records and Federal Election Commission memos and a final shot at the credibility of Edwards' chief accuser.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/john-...5#.T7Q3juhSSKK
    Chris Matthews had guests on saying the prosecution had to prove that Edwards knew he was violating the law. If the judge is saying she's not going to push for the highest level of proof from the prosecution then Edwards can be convicted based on what amounts to supposition. That's how I understand it anyway.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    Chris Matthews had guests on saying the prosecution had to prove that Edwards knew he was violating the law. If the judge is saying she's not going to push for the highest level of proof from the prosecution then Edwards can be convicted based on what amounts to supposition. That's how I understand it anyway.
    But it's a little weird, no?

Tour Champion
    Awards Showcase

I haven't been following the trial, but the little I have read on this makes sense to me. The judge has to give instructions to the jury and it sounds to me like the defense was going out on a limb in their interpretation of the law in hopes they could narrow the scope and make it less likely for conviction.

I am not a lawyer, yadda yadda yadda, but from what I understand....The law states that it is illegal to "for the purpose of influencing any election for Federal office." The defense argued that this means it is only a crime if the "sole purpose" of the funds was to influence the election. Personally, I agree with the judge and the prosecution that clearly the law's intent and verbiage means that it is a crime to use funds to influence an election even if it was used for additional purposes as well.

The jury will still have to determine that the prosecution proved beyond a reasonable doubt that John Edwards purposely used the funds to influence the election.

The Edwards team can be happy, if he is convicted this will give them plenty to appeal on.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast