Agree Agree:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 62
  1. #16
    SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

    Moose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Phoenixville PA
    Posts
    39,136
    Blog Entries
    28

    Re: John Edwards to admit paternity of aide's child

    Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    Athletes wife and politicians wife are two of the most thankless spousal roles on the planet.
    Quote Originally Posted by morct View Post
    Totally agree with you there.

    I think Cynthia Rodriguez agreed also...

    With Lucas Pouille at Indian Wells (2018)

  2. #17
    Grand Slam Champion missinandre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    9,120

    Re: John Edwards to admit paternity of aide's child

    Quote Originally Posted by morct View Post
    I always wonder what goes on behind the scenes in situations like this. As a couple they have come through so much together, but how can they even pretend to have a relationship when he has destroyed every bit of trust between them?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    Athletes wife and politicians wife are two of the most thankless spousal roles on the planet. I'm sure that she agreed to the lie because it meant that his career, while on life support, could still be said to be viable. As his wife she is part of the "image" and maintaining it is her job.

    That's why I cut Mrs Edwards some slack in this situation. She held up her part of the bargain but in today's world that wasn't enough.
    I don't know about Mrs Edwards and image....but I expect that her decisions regarding this issue have much more to do with her personal relationship with her husband and what she hopes to have in the future despite the issues at hand right now and....

    Even moreso....her decisions were probably made with her children in mind.

    I don't mind that....she was "in on the lie". I believe that she is just trying to make the most of a really horrifying, damaging, embarassing and public situation.
    ROGER / RAFA FINAL 2010 US OPEN!!!!!

  3. #18

    Re: John Edwards to admit paternity of aide's child

    Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    Athletes wife and politicians wife are two of the most thankless spousal roles on the planet. I'm sure that she agreed to the lie because it meant that his career, while on life support, could still be said to be viable. As his wife she is part of the "image" and maintaining it is her job.

    That's why I cut Mrs Edwards some slack in this situation. She held up her part of the bargain but in today's world that wasn't enough.
    I had all the normal sympathy for her until you said that. She wasn't assigned her husband by a guidance counselor. She chose to be married to him. Obviously, he can be a deceptive guy, so I cut her slack for the marriage. However, I have very little sympathy for someone who chooses to stay with a snake.

  4. #19

    Re: John Edwards to admit paternity of aide's child

    I'm not necessarily agreeing or disagreeing with anyone here. But, I must point a few things out here- and start by adding in the old cliche that- until you've walked in someone else's shoes....

    Perhaps if we all lived in the public eye so much- much less as the spouse of a politician- we'd understand better. Sure, I may not get why ANYONE would choose to marry a career politician- but, we all make different choices for many complex reasons that even we may not always fully understand. And then add into the mix that long-term marriages and relationships can be, ahem- complicated. Add in that, for all we know, John Edwards in his marriage might have also brought in a lot of great stuff with his wife. Many of us can be very different in our personal vs. professional lives- good and bad. I've known great bosses who appear to be rotten spouses, great friends who appear to be rotten spouses, and on and on the list can go. And that's just MY take on things- which of course may not be how anyone else might see things. So, he might have been wonderful to her in a number of ways throughout the years that just matter to her a lot. None of us can know either way. Which can make our picking other lives apart so much (and I'm as guilty as the rest) unfair territory.

    I also must add that I truly don't understand how one cannot cut her HUGE slack with all of this, with her dealing with cancer throughout all of this.
    Last edited by nelslus; 08-21-2009 at 09:22 AM.
    Old News= Madison Brengle. New News- It's All About Amanda Fink Chichi Scholl, FULL CIRCLE OF LIFE MADISON BRENGLE BABY!!!!!!!!

  5. #20
    Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

    Awards Showcase

    Asteroids Champion, 123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, Deal or No Deal Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Putt it in Golf Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, mahjong Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Battleship Champion, Solitaire Golf SLingo Champion, Archery Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    South Central PA
    Posts
    51,412
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: John Edwards to admit paternity of aide's child

    Yeah, I can't really argue with any of the points anyone is making, regardless of the perspective they're coming from. The only thing I can add to further complicate things is that, with long term relationships like this, there are also very severe financial consequences associated with every decision. It's not always so easy to walk away, especially when you have made the "investment" that his wife has made. And sometimes in life, the evil you know is more appealing than the evils you don't know.

    Any way you slice it, it sucks.

  6. #21
    Grand Slam Champion missinandre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    9,120

    Re: John Edwards to admit paternity of aide's child

    Quote Originally Posted by dryrunguy View Post
    Yeah, I can't really argue with any of the points anyone is making, regardless of the perspective they're coming from. The only thing I can add to further complicate things is that, with long term relationships like this, there are also very severe financial consequences associated with every decision. It's not always so easy to walk away, especially when you have made the "investment" that his wife has made. And sometimes in life, the evil you know is more appealing than the evils you don't know.

    Any way you slice it, it sucks.
    You can say that again dry! And I am not referring to a "plush rich" lifestyle when I say that.

    I'm talking about basics....maintaining the life your children know, school, everyday lives, tennis lessons, going out with friends, clothes, food etc...it sucks.

    But should my husband ever cross a line....my first and last thought is going to be what is best for my kids in the long run and how best to maintain their lives....not what hurt or didn't hurt my feelings.
    ROGER / RAFA FINAL 2010 US OPEN!!!!!

  7. #22
    Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

    omess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    London, Canada
    Posts
    8,626

    Re: John Edwards to admit paternity of aide's child

    John Edwards Promised to Wed Mistress; Dave Matthews to Play Ceremony

    John Edwards promised mistress Rielle Hunter that he'd marry her once his wife Elizabeth died of cancer, Edwards' former aide alleges in a shocking new book proposal.

    According to a copy obtained by the New York Times, Andrew Young claims Edwards told Hunter that the ceremony would take place on a New York rooftop and feature an appearance by the Dave Matthews Band.

    As has been previously reported, Young also claims in his proposal that Edwards fathered Hunter's daughter, Frances Quinn Hunter, who is 19-months old.

    Young has claimed he was the father of the girl. But in the book proposal he explains how Edwards always knew he was Frances' dad and begged Young to cover for him by falsely claiming he was the father.

    Last May, Edwards' wife Elizabeth (who is battling terminal breast cancer) told Oprah Winfrey she has "no idea" if her husband is the baby's father. (No father is listed on the baby's birth certificate.)



    Asked about the speculation, Elizabeth told Winfrey, "I've seen a picture of the baby. I have no idea. It doesn't look like my children, but I don't have any idea."

    A spokeswoman for Edwards has yet to comment.

    http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrityn...rielle-2009219

    Poor John, he can't get a break

  8. #23
    SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

    Moose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Phoenixville PA
    Posts
    39,136
    Blog Entries
    28

    Re: John Edwards to admit paternity of aide's child

    Quote Originally Posted by omess View Post
    Poor John, he can't get a break
    Oh, I'm quite sure there is at least one part of his anatomy Elizabeth wouldn't mind giving a break to.
    With Lucas Pouille at Indian Wells (2018)

  9. #24
    Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

    Awards Showcase

    shtexas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    24,704

    Re: John Edwards to admit paternity of aide's child

    Quote Originally Posted by omess View Post
    John Edwards Promised to Wed Mistress; Dave Matthews to Play Ceremony

    John Edwards promised mistress Rielle Hunter that he'd marry her once his wife Elizabeth died of cancer, Edwards' former aide alleges in a shocking new book proposal.

    According to a copy obtained by the New York Times, Andrew Young claims Edwards told Hunter that the ceremony would take place on a New York rooftop and feature an appearance by the Dave Matthews Band.

    As has been previously reported, Young also claims in his proposal that Edwards fathered Hunter's daughter, Frances Quinn Hunter, who is 19-months old.

    Young has claimed he was the father of the girl. But in the book proposal he explains how Edwards always knew he was Frances' dad and begged Young to cover for him by falsely claiming he was the father.

    Last May, Edwards' wife Elizabeth (who is battling terminal breast cancer) told Oprah Winfrey she has "no idea" if her husband is the baby's father. (No father is listed on the baby's birth certificate.)



    Asked about the speculation, Elizabeth told Winfrey, "I've seen a picture of the baby. I have no idea. It doesn't look like my children, but I don't have any idea."

    A spokeswoman for Edwards has yet to comment.

    http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrityn...rielle-2009219

    Poor John, he can't get a break
    Hike up your skirt a little more, and show your world to me...

  10. #25

    Re: John Edwards to admit paternity of aide's child

    I still think Gingrich takes the cake though. I mean he didn't even add an "after death" caveat in his situation. He simply served his then wife papers while she was recovering from surgery.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb




  11. #26
    SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

    Moose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Phoenixville PA
    Posts
    39,136
    Blog Entries
    28

    Re: John Edwards to admit paternity of aide's child

    seems Andrew Young, Edwards' aide that first claimed fatherhood of Rielle Hunter's daughter, is quite busy putting everything on paper and shopping his tell-all. And to back up part of his story, he apparently has tape. Explicit tape of John and Rielle doing the dirty nasty for the camera. And he's shown the tape to at least two people that Politico has talked to.

    http://www.politico.com/news/stories...755_Page4.html


    I can only imagine how Elizabeth is taking this news. In another story last week, it was revealed that Elizabeth has taken to trashing Rielle in comments on blog sites using the Posting name "Cherubim". This started when Rielle moved to North Carolina in the past few weeks.
    With Lucas Pouille at Indian Wells (2018)

  12. #27
    Grand Slam Champion missinandre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    9,120

    Re: John Edwards to admit paternity of aide's child

    Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    seems Andrew Young, Edwards' aide that first claimed fatherhood of Rielle Hunter's daughter, is quite busy putting everything on paper and shopping his tell-all. And to back up part of his story, he apparently has tape. Explicit tape of John and Rielle doing the dirty nasty for the camera. And he's shown the tape to at least two people that Politico has talked to.

    http://www.politico.com/news/stories...755_Page4.html


    I can only imagine how Elizabeth is taking this news. In another story last week, it was revealed that Elizabeth has taken to trashing Rielle in comments on blog sites using the Posting name "Cherubim". This started when Rielle moved to North Carolina in the past few weeks.
    Sordid This is quite beneath Elizabeth.
    ROGER / RAFA FINAL 2010 US OPEN!!!!!

  13. #28
    SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

    Moose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Phoenixville PA
    Posts
    39,136
    Blog Entries
    28

    Re: John Edwards to admit paternity of aide's child

    John Edwards Admits Paternity of Child
    By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
    Published: January 21, 2010
    Filed at 9:04 a.m. ET

    RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) -- Former Democratic presidential candidate John Edwards has finally come forward to admit that he is the father of a child born to a videographer he hired before his second White House bid. ''It was wrong for me to ever deny she was my daughter,'' he said Thursday.

    Edwards released a statement to The Associated Press after long denying that he'd fathered a child during an affair with Rielle Hunter. The admission comes shortly before a book on the scandal is due out from a former campaign aide who was expected to describe how Edwards worked to hide his paternity.

    ''I am Quinn's father,'' the former senator declared in his statement, as the second birthday of Frances Quinn Hunter approaches.

    A lawyer for Hunter did not immediately respond to a request for comment. It is not clear where she is living.

    Frances was born Feb. 27, 2008, indicating that the child was conceived in the middle of 2007, several months after Hunter stopped working for Edwards. John and Elizabeth Edwards renewed their wedding vows in July of 2007 to celebrate their 30th wedding anniversary.

    A former Edwards aide, Andrew Young, initially claimed paternity of the child shortly before the 2008 presidential primary contests began. Young is scheduled to release a book on Feb. 2 that details the scandal.

    Elizabeth Edwards, whose cancer returned in an incurable form in March 2007, has stood by her husband despite the affair. She has said that it does not matter to her whether her husband fathered a child with Hunter, saying, ''that would be a part of John's life, but not a part of mine.''

    Since admitting the affair in August 2008, John Edwards has largely gone into seclusion. He has acknowledged a federal investigation into his campaign finances while both Young and Hunter -- with her child -- have made appearances at a federal courthouse in Raleigh.

    In the statement Edwards released Thursday, he said, ''I will do everything in my power to provide her (Frances) with the love and support she deserves. I have been able to spend time with her during the past year and trust that future efforts to show her the love and affection she deserves can be done privately and in peace.''

    Edwards also said, ''It was wrong for me ever to deny she was my daughter and hopefully one day, when she understands, she will forgive me.''

    http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2010...-Daughter.html
    With Lucas Pouille at Indian Wells (2018)

  14. #29

    Re: John Edwards to admit paternity of aide's child

    Edwards also said, ''It was wrong for me ever to deny she was my daughter and hopefully one day, when she understands, she will forgive me.''
    Now he thinks about this? PFFFT.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb




  15. #30
    Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

    omess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    London, Canada
    Posts
    8,626

    Re: John Edwards to admit paternity of aide's child

    Poor John...He should have acknowledge the baby at the same time he did of the affair.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •