Agree Agree:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Re: Ladies' Picks and Results Thread - Wimbledon

Quote Originally Posted by e11even View Post
    I've always enjoyed your summaries, beau! But why do you have to be so right again this time?!
    At least your pick probably had a break point unlike my supposed grass expert against a dirt baller
    2017 & 2018 Australian Open Champions

Quote Originally Posted by patrick View Post
    At least your pick probably had a break point unlike my supposed grass expert against a dirt baller
    I could still totally relate as your pick is part of my GA team!

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Patrick, this is as bitter as I've ever seen you be...

It's a beautiful sight.

I take it you've never been married?
    Winston, a.k.a. Alvena Rae Risley Hiatt (1944-2019), RIP

Quote Originally Posted by e11even View Post
    I could still totally relate as your pick is part of my GA team!
    The pick did not give me a chance for a medal in SP and probably no chance for a TAT Fantasy medal along with Wickmayer.

Quote Originally Posted by dryrunguy View Post
    Patrick, this is as bitter as I've ever seen you be...
    Eliminated is one thing but no break points against a dirt baller on a surface where you excel is another.

Where am I?
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Yes, yes. Well, we lost 132 yesterday to myriad "competitors", most notably Tammy T and Crazeh Eyes Safarova, leaving us with 229 going into today.

And clearly, the pressure is already getting to some of them. Peruse the picks below to find out who's given up.

The bandwagon of the day (and yes, it shocked me, too) is...

Miss Kateryna Bondarenko (26) - She isn't really known for her consistency, nor is she known to safely and easily bring her supporters into the next round. Plus, you have all tempted fate further by picking against a qualifier. Hmm.

AND

Miss Alona Bondarenko (23) - Her opponent, Baltacha, has had her best successes on the grass at Wimbledon and would have surely been a more household name were it not for injuries. What’s that sound I hear?

Miss Na Li (22) - I have heard tales of the talent of Voskoboeva, but I haven’t seen it myself to know if she’ll trouble the Chinese girl who should perform well on the lawn.

Miss Iveta Benesova (20) - A curious decision. I rather feel as though one person must have chosen her early on and nineteen others didn’t really want to make a decision for themselves, so they just went with what someone else had put down. Yes, that sounds about right. She plays a qualifier. Advance Brittania fair!

Miss Nicole Vaidisova (17) - What? Oh, very sorry, I must have dozed.

Miss Ana Ivanovic (15) - Now we’ve taken to choosing her in the first round.

Miss Agnes Szavay (14) - Can the Venuslayer beat Flipkens on grass? Goodness I should think so.

Miss No Pick (11) – With these choices, can’t blame them.

Miss Anne Keothavong (10) - Will try to do one better than poor, dear Laura Robson yesterday. Mayr shouldn’t pose her much of a problem.

Miss Jelena Dokic (8) - Has she healed? And I don’t just mean physically.

Miss Sybille Bammer (7) - Was sinking deliciously in the rankings until good showings here and at the US Open last year, enough to keep her under the heading of “inexplicably seeded at a Grand Slam yet again”. I like her opponent’s, Melanie Oudin, chances.

Miss Flavia Pennetta (7) - After a dismal French Open and subsequent not-to-speak-of grass court “season”, she must be ripe for a win, no? Well, maybe not, no.

Miss Anna Chakvetadze (6) - Her opponent Lisicki was supposed to have a good chance for some quality wins at the French before flaming out in the first round. Who will win this battle of not-achieving?

Miss Tathiana Garbin (6) - Hit. Wait for it. Wait for it. Grunt. There we go.

Miss Amelie Mauresmo (6) - Sadly for her, six people have decided to pick her in the very first round, and likely none of them are ultra-confident about it. Quite sad.

Miss Jelena Jankovic (5) - Might as well use her while you can. Since she isn’t Srebotnik, Goerges won’t win.

Miss Olga Govortsova (4) - Govortsova/Perebiynis must be on first on Center Court, yes?

Miss Dinara Safina (4) - #1 seed getting some love.

Miss Samantha Stosur (4) - Just advanced to the semis of the French Open on definitely not her favorite surface. Do we really dislike her chances for advancing deep that much?

Miss Anabel Medina Garrigues (3) - As long as no one from TaT is in the stands, she’ll win.

Miss Shaui Peng (2) - Well, we’ve gone and picked a Chinese player, so strike one. We’ve also gone and chosen against Alexa Glatch who is awesome, strike seven. I also don’t care if that doesn’t add to seven, I will be seven times over hoping against this result.

Miss Maria Kirilenko (2) - Her excellent grass-court pedigree should get her through this match. Oh my, that was worth a good guffaw.

Sergeant Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band:

Miss Agnieszka Radwanska - Foul. She’ll do a few better than R1, to be sure.

Miss Sara Errani - The grass is by far not her best surface.

Miss Alexa Glatch - How very nice.

Miss Kaia Kanepi - She’s seeded? Apparently that first round loss at the French didn’t hurt her enough.

Miss Vania King - How fascinating.

Miss Petra Kvitova - No doubt hoping to capitalize on Kirilenko’s abysmal grass record.

Miss Ekaterina Makarova - She’s always good for an interesting result, though I think against Zahlavovavovova Strycova, nothing will be interesting.
    I'll miss you!

Are you kidding? The Bondarenkos are #1 and #2 today?

Let the carnage begin!

Interesting to see the choices evenly spreaded and that Miss No Pick is going to be a choice for a while. Maybe, the losers will have at least one break chance unlike Tamarine yesterday.

Blog Entries

Brilliant summary as usual, Beau. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by beaujarkko View Post
    Miss Tathiana Garbin (6) - Hit. Wait for it. Wait for it. Grunt. There we go.
    LOL!!!

Where am I?
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ptmcmahon View Post

Let the carnage begin!
    My sentiments exactly.

Interesting to see the choices evenly spreaded and that Miss No Pick is going to be a choice for a while. Maybe, the losers will have at least one break chance unlike Tamarine yesterday.
    Yes, with as many participants still left as there are, I would have thought that a couple of players would have had much higher totals. However, that doesn't take into account the fact that there wasn't a single good pick in the whole half.

Quote Originally Posted by tinamarie View Post
    Brilliant summary as usual, Beau. Thanks

LOL!!!
    Thanks!
    I'll miss you!

Quote Originally Posted by beaujarkko View Post

Miss Anne Keothavong (10) - Will try to do one better than poor, dear Laura Robson yesterday. Mayr shouldn’t pose her much of a problem.

Would that be what I like to call a big fat jinx ?

Zahlavovavovova

"This is your life, is it everything you dreamed that it would be
    when the world was younger and you had everything to lose?"

-Switchfoot- "This is Your Life"

Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by ptmcmahon View Post

Let the carnage begin!
    K Bondarenko plays Venus next round maybe that's why

Where am I?
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Cornet was, indeed, Dushevinaed, and so we actually lost 135 on Day 1.
    I'll miss you!

Nittany Lion

Day 1: Dulko
    Day 2: Benesova
    Day 3: Pavlyuchenkova

this draw has become a mess

Ugh. I remembered to pick in the women's draw this time... only to lose on day 2

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast