Agree Agree:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Raquet

New Raquet

So I broke my raquet (a Head Flexpoint Radical) in July, and I have yet to replace it because the line was discontinued. Does anyone know of a raquet that plays similarly to it? I have been out of the game far too long and I'm looking to start playing again once the weather gets nice.

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Re: New Raquet

I never hit with the Flexpoint, but I used the Ti.Radical for years, and loved it. I demo'd the Microgel Radical, and liked it quite a lot, too.

But not enough to change from my Prince Original Graphite.

Fed Fan
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

I had my Head IRadical for a few years myself and love it. Can't say as I'm familiar with the Flexpoint but I think if you liked the one you had, demo'ing a few in that same line will probably give you what you're looking for.
    16 and counting...

JUPITER'S GHOST - catch up on all the episodes at http://www.youtube.com/user/jupitersghost

Tennis begins with love.

I think you may like that bright green Wilson. It should be about the same weight and almost as flexy. I demoed them both about a year ago. Definitely try before you buy. If you don't have a good shop, Tennis-warehouse.com has a GREAT demo program that works like Netflix.
    Last edited by --cj--; 01-21-2009 at 10:23 PM.

TennisWarehouse is a great site. However, I didn't see a bright green Wilson on the site. Perhaps that's been discontinued as well?

I used to play with a LiquidMetal Radical (preferred it to the Flexpoint...), then switched to the Wilson nTour 95 [their orange one]. Its a bit lighter than the Radical, and personally, I prefer the way it plays, much more nimble and such, but now I'm looking to upgrade to a [K] Six-One 90 or 95.

Quote Originally Posted by kmart93 View Post
    So I broke my raquet (a Head Flexpoint Radical) in July, and I have yet to replace it because the line was discontinued. Does anyone know of a raquet that plays similarly to it? I have been out of the game far too long and I'm looking to start playing again once the weather gets nice.
    Doesn't Tennis Warehouse have a page where you can enter in the specs of a racket and it will spit out a list of similar rackets? From there it's probably a matter of demo-ing. AND there's always ebay.
    Avatar: Munchin's Favorite Matches - #10 - Andre Agassi vs. Pete Sampras - 2000 Australian Open SF

"If I didn't play tennis, I would probably have to go see a psychiatrist" - Arthur Ashe

Quote Originally Posted by munchin View Post
    Doesn't Tennis Warehouse have a page where you can enter in the specs of a racket and it will spit out a list of similar rackets? From there it's probably a matter of demo-ing. AND there's always ebay.
    Woah do they? I'll have to go see if I can find that.

@viv- I actually liked the weight of the Flexpoint. I had been playing with a Head Ti2 before that and it was like swinging air. I liked the resistance that the Flexpoint gave me. Of course, when I switched to it, I promptly got tennis elbow and had to quit the team that year...

Quote Originally Posted by kmart93 View Post
    Woah do they? I'll have to go see if I can find that.

@viv- I actually liked the weight of the Flexpoint. I had been playing with a Head Ti2 before that and it was like swinging air. I liked the resistance that the Flexpoint gave me. Of course, when I switched to it, I promptly got tennis elbow and had to quit the team that year...
    http://www.racquetfinder.com/search.htm
    Avatar: Munchin's Favorite Matches - #10 - Andre Agassi vs. Pete Sampras - 2000 Australian Open SF

"If I didn't play tennis, I would probably have to go see a psychiatrist" - Arthur Ashe

Quote Originally Posted by munchin View Post
    Thanks, I found it when I went looking for it after your earlier post.

TrickyTennis

I'm in the market too and have heard raving reviews about the look, feel and forgiving performance of a variety of rackets. I am not a one-brand racket kind of guy so labels don't sell me. Head has been decent in the past, Prince ok too. Has anyone used a Babolat? Either Aero, Pro Drive or Pure storm rackets? I see they have a new Y-line...is this the same as the other three, with just a fancier paint job or will it really perform? Can someone please lend a thought, comparison or rant before I spend the money.

I just bought the new Pure Drive and I love it. It's a stiffer frame than the Pure Drive I had before and I'm getting a lot more heat on my shots. It's actually pretty fun. Test it out!

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

I'm considering a purchase as well to replace a 15-year old one that has seen much better days.

As a generally clueless individual when it comes to the equipment, maybe someone can enlighten me as well.
    I disapprove of this message

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Tricky & James, what kind of style do you play? What level?
    What racket have you been using, and what did you like about it?

The racketfinder link above can be a good place to start. Many manufacturer/brand sites have something similar (letting you choose from only their models), and you'll see lots of those break players into a spectrum of something like:

long, powerful strokes ... medium ... short, compact strokes

One detail I've found is that most brands have a grip shape that's the same no matter which of their models you choose. For example, Head's are more rectangular than Prince's. So if you like the grip shape of the model you're using now, it may be worth starting your search among their other models.

Hope this helps!

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

I just haven't touched a raquet in about 10 years... but I am now living somewhere where there are courts nearby that I'm paying for with my HOA, so I figure... well... why not? I'm going to drag John kicking and screaming out with me to hit some balls. Maybe, just maybe, I can find some people interested in playing around here as well.

I'll check out the link. I doubt I am at the level I was, but I really liked smacking the ball with some topspin. Full swing, I think, but I'm going to have to actually stroke a few times to figure out what I do again. And a few more times before I keep the ball in, I'm sure...

Someone please tell me it's like riding a bike.
    I disapprove of this message

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast