Agree Agree:  105
Likes Likes:  123
Page 1 of 158 12345112651101 ... LastLast
    Cousin of nelslus

Let's Discuss Religion.

There's so MUCH of me to love! Bestest Friend of Suliso Ever. Bonk Bonk on Beau's Head.

Proud creator and owner of hotprisonpenpals.com. Belslus LIKE munchin. Belslus LIKE JT, salmon, mwoods, and rabbit.

Re: Let's Discuss Religion.

You had to use belslus to open up this can of worms?

I'm down! I'm going to finish my breakfast first, though.

Religion was created as a way to control people.

bam!

now put that in your pipe and smoke it!

(I don't really mean that, but I wanted to get the conversation rolling )

Quote Originally Posted by Jessie181 View Post

bam!

Witch! JESSIE'S A WITCH!

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Attention all moderators. Attentional all moderators. Please proceed to thread number 12446 and stand in ready position.
    Oh Grigor. You silly man.

Okay, here we go.

My religious background:

My evil step-father was an on and off small town pastor. My Dad used to take us to a small town pentacostal church when I was little. Basically, I've been exposed to a lot of ignorant and intolerant religious people. A woman once got mad at my brother for reading a book called "Polgara the Sorceress" in church. She said "Really David? Sorcery? Do you think that's appropriate?" Another person at the church told a small child that his sick grandmother was going to hell because she wanted to be baptized but physically couldn't get out of bed to do it.

So...

Church tends to enrage me. So does any kind of intolerance of any type of people, whether I agree the people I feel are being mistreated or not.

I feel that a lot of Christians can misuse the Bible to find excuses for their own personal prejudices. Too many people don't bother to really explore a passage instead of accepting it as a Heavenly Mandate. Some good examples of this are homosexuality and masturbation.

My thoughts on Jesus:

I think Jesus was a revolutionary and a great teacher. I do often ask myself "WWJD" but I have some very different answers than other people do. I think Jesus was aggressive. If he thought you were stupid, he'd tell you. If he thought you were ruining the Church, he'd get in your face. I think all of the emphasis put on miracles and afterlife and the second coming of Jesus distract from the important messages. I want to learn about Jesus; I don't want to watch a movie that's loosely "based on a true story," but with a lot more explosions.

Summary:

Bible: Yes
    Jesus: Yes
    Messiah: No
    Afterlife: irrelevant
    Church: run screaming into the hills

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkus View Post
    Attention all moderators. Attentional all moderators. Please proceed to thread number 12446 and stand in ready position.
    LOL!

It is important for all of you moderators to be here. Please edit out all non-extremely fundamentalist Christian rhetoric. It's the right thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessie181 View Post

bam!

But I think you're partially right...

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkus View Post
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie02123 View Post
    Okay, here we go.

My religious background:

My evil step-father was an on and off small town pastor. My Dad used to take us to a small town pentacostal church when I was little. Basically, I've been exposed to a lot of ignorant and intolerant religious people. A woman once got mad at my brother for reading a book called "Polgara the Sorceress" in church. She said "Really David? Sorcery? Do you think that's appropriate?" Another person at the church told a small child that his sick grandmother was going to hell because she wanted to be baptized but physically couldn't get out of bed to do it.

So...

Church tends to enrage me. So does any kind of intolerance of any type of people, whether I agree the people I feel are being mistreated or not.

I feel that a lot of Christians can misuse the Bible to find excuses for their own personal prejudices. Too many people don't bother to really explore a passage instead of accepting it as a Heavenly Mandate. Some good examples of this are homosexuality and masturbation.

My thoughts on Jesus:

I think Jesus was a revolutionary and a great teacher. I do often ask myself "WWJD" but I have some very different answers than other people do. I think Jesus was aggressive. If he thought you were stupid, he'd tell you. If he thought you were ruining the Church, he'd get in your face. I think all of the emphasis put on miracles and afterlife and the second coming of Jesus distract from the important messages. I want to learn about Jesus; I don't want to watch a movie that's loosely "based on a true story," but with a lot more explosions.

Summary:

Bible: Yes
    Jesus: Yes
    Messiah: No
    Afterlife: irrelevant
    I think this is a good idea. So we all know where we're coming from and why we think what we state.
    Short on time, but will do it when I get back home.

Summary:

Bible: invention
    Jesus: didn't exist, or if he existed was merely a person who got elevated port mortem to semi-god.
    Afterlife: doesn't exist in the conventional way.
    Meet again we do, old foe...

Religious background: Was baptized in the hospital at birth (Catholic hospital in Louisiana, what can I say?), but neither of my parents were particularly religious. I went to church (Disciples of Christ) with a friend's family in kindergarten and liked it, so my family started going on a semi-regular basis. This stopped about halfway through my first grade year when I got sick and spent most of 3-4 months in and out of the hospital; no time, I suppose, although I do remember the minister visiting me on more than one occasion. After that we never went back. Fast forward 6 years, my parents put my brother in Catholic school, for which he had a zillion school Masses, some of which we went to, and I haven't been to a non-Catholic church for anything but weddings, baptisms, and funerals since. I don't agree with the doctrine, but I love and find comfort in the extensive ritual.

Most of my father's family is very conservative Presbyterian (of the doesn't believe in evolution ilk); some of my mother's family has a tendency to fall into the "televangelist" churches, some of my mother's family is Catholic. My experience with conservative Protestantism is that it breeds distrust and intolerance and I have no patience for that. I also have close friends who are Muslim and Hindu (in fact, one of my best friends growing up was Hindu and I probably went to temple with her more often than I went to church between the ages of 7 and 12, LOL), so I try very hard to understand those traditions, too.

I have an intense academic interest in religion. I've studied the Old Testament, the Qu'ran, and the Bhagavad Gita fairly extensively. I know less about things like Shinto, Buddhist, and Taoist beliefs. I'm currently attempting to read the Bible cover-to-cover (verrrrrry slow going, but I'm determined). I find the intersection between religious text and verifiable history totally fascinating.

Jesus: A brilliant rabbi, a political criminal, a flawed man. I don't believe in the virgin birth, I don't believe in his divinity (it was voted on at the Nicene Council, people!), and I don't believe he wanted anything to come from his leadership other than a more authentic Judaism.

Bible: Conglomerate of facts and myth designed to shape people's thoughts and beliefs. Not to be taken as literal truth.
    Jesus: Historical figure, rabbi, community leader, but not a human embodiment of the Divine
    Afterlife: Inferno, Purgatorio, and Paradiso (hey, I can't get rid of all of the Catholic in me)
    Church: Makes me feel bad because I'm mentally rolling my eyes at half of what gets said in Mass, but I still cry at Mass on Good Friday. Go figure.
    Last edited by pamchenko; 11-12-2008 at 12:38 PM.
    B*tch, please

Just kidding...

Quote Originally Posted by Drop-shot View Post
    Jesus: didn't exist, or if he existed was merely a person who got elevated port mortem to semi-god.
    Academically speaking, almost all scholars agree that Jesus of Nazareth existed.

Many Biblical scholars believe that Jesus Christ was created after he died.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Yahtzee Champion, Yeti 1 Greece Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Okay. A few thoughts about some of the points that were made in the hijacked Avatar thread.

Re: the point about religion and science, I don't see the two as mutually exclusive. I've never understood why the two can't mutually coexist. Religion can't explain everything, and neither can science.

The term "organized religion" is definitely overused. Even within fundamentalist doctrine, fundamentalism is actually quite disorganized. There is no one size fit all.

I think what bothers me is just how PC it has become to diss religion, Christianity in particular. Christianity is unfairly targeted by society as a whole. We never hear about the wonderful things that Christian institutions, such as churches, are doing. We only hear about pro-life rallies, abortion clinic bombings, votes for Prop 8, and ministers who have sex with gay prostitutes. Period. And the level of intolerance of Christianity, in spite of the fact that it's a very diverse faith, seems to be growing by the day. And there seems to be a direct relationship between this intolerance and the intolerance of a fairly small segment of the faith. That segment doesn't represent me, and I just don't believe that the solution to intolerance is more intolerance.

I also don't think religion and science are mutually exclusive. However, there are certain interpretations of the Bible that are mutually exclusive with science. I think it's important for everyone to realize that there are always a bunch of different ways to read a piece of scripture.

It can't possibly be ALL literal, because no one is literally born-again. There's a passage in the New Testament where the Pharisees are mocking Jesus and asking how someone can climb back into their mother's womb. Jesus basically says that they are missing the point.

I think it's a great example that focusing too much on literal meanings can take away from the spirit of the message.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Yahtzee Champion, Yeti 1 Greece Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

My spin:

The Bible: Not the inherent Word of God. Scripture must be interpreted within the context of how God changed throughout the Old Testament.

Jesus: Both fully God (one-third of The Deity) and fully Man.

Afterlife: Heaven and hell. And I think I believe in degrees of each (e.g., The Inferno).

Church: Not for me at this point, but one day I'd like to find a congregation that worked for me, something that is both consistent with my core beliefs but also challenges me rather than just telling me what I want to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie02123 View Post
    "Really David? Sorcery? Do you think that's appropriate?"
    Is your middle name David?

Quote Originally Posted by Drop-shot View Post
    But I think you're partially right...
    me too

Quote Originally Posted by pamchenko View Post
    I don't agree with the doctrine, but I love and find comfort in the extensive ritual.
    hmm. I had always wondered why I always found comfort in attending church, and I think that might be the reason
    Last edited by Jay; 11-12-2008 at 01:17 PM.

Page 1 of 158 12345112651101 ... LastLast