Agree Agree:  1,428
Likes Likes:  1,492
Page 1081 of 1081 FirstFirst ... 83198110311056107110771078107910801081
Results 16,201 to 16,207 of 16207

Re: National, Regional and Local News

"inching" closer to the record......and SUCH a record to be proud of!! GH

This was a letter to the editor in the local paper today in Tucson, responding to a previous letter:

"The author implores President Trump to implement mandatory vaccinations to combat the recent measles "epidemic."(555 cases in 2019 in a nation of 327 million people).

Most people don't realize that the mortality rate of measles from 1900-1963 (PRE-vaccine) dropped 98 percent, due primarily to improved living conditions, improved health care and nutrition. In fact, malnutrition and more specifically a deficiency in vitamin A is the main culprit in measles mortality world-wide. Before the vaccine was introduced in 1964, on average less than 500 Americans died annually from the measles (stats from CDC and World Health Org).

Funny how so many of us are distrustful of our government, yet are so quick to cede our basic health decisions to its directives, to the extent that we would ask our leader to force everyone to obey."

I'm not sure that I would go full scale you-must-vaccinate-by-government-mandate mode, but I do think that exemption criteria needs to be much more stringent. With people who refuse to vaccinate, I think it is not unreasonable to have them sign waivers against ever being able to file suit by them or on behalf of their children (at least until they are of legal age and can choose to get vaccinated if they so desire) if you choose not to and later become infected (unless there is a true medical exemption). The letter writer here seems to imply that with modern nutrition, better health care and living/sanitation conditions, measles wasn't the "big" deal that it is made out to be. Even if mortality rates are generally low, this seems like such a strange argument to make when a vaccine can prevent a person from even that 'small' of a risk. I post here to illustrate that some of the problem stems from people who do not appear to be strident anti-vaxxers.
    "And for my next fearless prediction..."

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff in TX View Post
    This was a letter to the editor in the local paper today in Tucson, responding to a previous letter:

"The author implores President Trump to implement mandatory vaccinations to combat the recent measles "epidemic."(555 cases in 2019 in a nation of 327 million people).

Most people don't realize that the mortality rate of measles from 1900-1963 (PRE-vaccine) dropped 98 percent, due primarily to improved living conditions, improved health care and nutrition. In fact, malnutrition and more specifically a deficiency in vitamin A is the main culprit in measles mortality world-wide. Before the vaccine was introduced in 1964, on average less than 500 Americans died annually from the measles (stats from CDC and World Health Org).

Funny how so many of us are distrustful of our government, yet are so quick to cede our basic health decisions to its directives, to the extent that we would ask our leader to force everyone to obey."

I'm not sure that I would go full scale you-must-vaccinate-by-government-mandate mode, but I do think that exemption criteria needs to be much more stringent. With people who refuse to vaccinate, I think it is not unreasonable to have them sign waivers against ever being able to file suit by them or on behalf of their children (at least until they are of legal age and can choose to get vaccinated if they so desire) if you choose not to and later become infected (unless there is a true medical exemption). The letter writer here seems to imply that with modern nutrition, better health care and living/sanitation conditions, measles wasn't the "big" deal that it is made out to be. Even if mortality rates are generally low, this seems like such a strange argument to make when a vaccine can prevent a person from even that 'small' of a risk. I post here to illustrate that some of the problem stems from people who do not appear to be strident anti-vaxxers.
    What an unusual argument to make. Without context you could almost accept it. I agree that they should sign the kind of waivers you suggesst Jeff.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

It seems like that argument gets torched if a closer look is taken at the OR and WA measles outbreak cases. Maybe they are the rare exception in those areas, but those parts of those particular states are incredibly well known for being very conscientious about nutrition and environment.

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post
    It seems like that argument gets torched if a closer look is taken at the OR and WA measles outbreak cases. Maybe they are the rare exception in those areas, but those parts of those particular states are incredibly well known for being very conscientious about nutrition and environment.
    I don't think they were saying people won't get sick (i.e. that nutrition doesn't mean you won't get sick), just that it isn't really fatal, so what is the big deal - which is just plain stupid since measles can be very serious/fatal.
    "And for my next fearless prediction..."

Things like public health are too important for the whole of the population to imperil because of the whims of the idiots in the group.
    Meet again we do, old foe...

Charles Ponchi Darwin says:
    "On the other hand, if DUMB people do not vaccinate and drop out of the gene pool..."
    (I know, the public cost of treatment would be enormous. But Nazi Ponchi, Darwin Ponchi's continental cousin, says they should pay for treatments for diseases for which there are vaccines. It is a terrible family, I tell you)
    Starry starry night

Page 1081 of 1081 FirstFirst ... 83198110311056107110771078107910801081