Agree Agree:  1,640
Likes Likes:  1,638
Page 1120 of 1120 FirstFirst ... 870102010701095111011161117111811191120
Results 16,786 to 16,794 of 16794

Re: National, Regional and Local News

Its interesting how the same story is resented in two different ways. When the local ABC news station reported on this they left out the part about Kerik and the Giuliani link.
    There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.

― Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    In late 2010, Lawrence Ray moved in with his daughter and her roommates at Sarah Lawrence College when he needed a place to crash after his recent release from prison.
    Now, I realize that this isn't necessarily the most important part of the story. But I'm very hung up on this part. Sarah Lawrence has long been a great college, but WTH is going on there that they allowed a 50-year-old man to stay in their on-campus dorms for any length of time whatsoever? Even if not against policy based on age, almost any school that I know of has guest policies that limit the amount of time he could stay there to like 3 days, maybe 7 if they have a very liberal policy. For instance, my undergrad and grad school, one private and one public, have the same 3 consecutive day overnight guest policy. I believe my sister's undergrad and grad, again one public and one private, were 3 consecutive days and 5 consecutive days respectively.

Every story I've seen states this without further comment and I keep looking for something, anything, to be said about how it is that Sarah Lawrence let that part happen. To say that a 50-year old man would stand out like a sore thumb in the residential hall of small liberal arts college is an understatement. Heck, just a man is going to stand out there, it's like 75% women.

Mark Pitcavage @egavactip

Utah man killed, two men arrested. One of the suspects, I have deduced through examining subtle and nuanced clues, is a white supremacist.

North Ogden man killed by group that had assaulted his brother, police say
    Men arrested in connection to shooting death

By Ashley Imlay@ashley_imlay Feb 9, 2020, 1:50pm MST
    There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.

― Frank Zappa

And to think I repeatedly posted AGAINST the death penalty in that thread.
    (No, I don't believe in the death penalty now. But these last stories really makes you feel like it could be a solution).
    Missing winter...

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    Mark Pitcavage @egavactip

Utah man killed, two men arrested. One of the suspects, I have deduced through examining subtle and nuanced clues, is a white supremacist.

North Ogden man killed by group that had assaulted his brother, police say
    Men arrested in connection to shooting death

By Ashley Imlay@ashley_imlay Feb 9, 2020, 1:50pm MST
    I will say I love this man's (Mark) sense of humor and sense of adroit wit regarding a sad story
    Last edited by Jeff in TX; 02-15-2020 at 10:42 AM. Reason: additional comment
    "And for my next fearless prediction..."

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post
    Now, I realize that this isn't necessarily the most important part of the story. But I'm very hung up on this part. Sarah Lawrence has long been a great college, but WTH is going on there that they allowed a 50-year-old man to stay in their on-campus dorms for any length of time whatsoever? Even if not against policy based on age, almost any school that I know of has guest policies that limit the amount of time he could stay there to like 3 days, maybe 7 if they have a very liberal policy. For instance, my undergrad and grad school, one private and one public, have the same 3 consecutive day overnight guest policy. I believe my sister's undergrad and grad, again one public and one private, were 3 consecutive days and 5 consecutive days respectively.

Every story I've seen states this without further comment and I keep looking for something, anything, to be said about how it is that Sarah Lawrence let that part happen. To say that a 50-year old man would stand out like a sore thumb in the residential hall of small liberal arts college is an understatement. Heck, just a man is going to stand out there, it's like 75% women.

18 years ago, my high school friend decided not to apply to Sarah Lawrence after she and her mom went on a visit and were shocked there were random people who were not students living (squatting basically) in people's dorms, and it seemed like no big deal to anyone. Looks like it never bothered the school.

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm8 View Post
    18 years ago, my high school friend decided not to apply to Sarah Lawrence after she and her mom went on a visit and were shocked there were random people who were not students living (squatting basically) in people's dorms, and it seemed like no big deal to anyone. Looks like it never bothered the school.
    WHAT!? I have never heard of a college doing anything remotely like that. How bizarre.

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm8 View Post
    This is so wild. Taking the boho vibe entirely too far. It makes sense that it is more common place because how in the world does this happen otherwise where no one was bothered by the 50 year old man in the dorms for entirely too long. But still WOW! Exactly what do their RAs do to earn their free room and board? Doesn't sound like much.

California lawmakers expected to approve apology for WWII-era Japanese-American internment camps

By Marc Cota-Robles
    Updated 9 minutes ago

PASADENA, Calif. (KABC) -- A formal apology could be coming this week as the United States marks a dark chapter in history when Japanese-American men, women and children were sent to internment camps 78 years ago.

Lawmakers in Sacramento will vote Feb. 19 on the formal apology. It was on that date in 1942 when President Franklin D. Roosevelt ordered the internment of Japanese-Americans during World War II.

Assemblyman Al Muratsuchi of Torrance introduced the resolution known as HR 77.

If approved, it would formally apologize for California's role in the mass incarceration of more than 120,000 Japanese Americans. Unlike a 1988 apology by the federal government, HR 77 will not include any financial compensation.

"I want California to lead by example by acknowledging our past mistakes," Muratsuchi told Eyewitness News.

Muratsuchi was born in Japan and described California as being ground zero for much of the nation's anti-Japanese prejudice even before WWII. Now, he sees similar injustices happening in the United States, which prompted him to spearhead the introduction of this new resolution.

"We see history repeating itself with children and families being held in cages and being torn apart. We see it with Muslim Americans being targeted as national security threats." said Muratsuchi.

Pasadena City Councilman Gene Masuda's family lived through the experience as American citizens held at California's Manzanar and Tule Lake internment camps.

"We have to be vigilant that this doesn't happen again," Masuda said.

Masuda said that even upon his parents' release, the racism and barriers persisted.

HR 77 is expected to be approved Thursday with Gov. Gavin Newsom's endorsement.

Masuda has mixed feelings, telling Eyewitness News the state Legislature's apology will come too late for most of his relatives who lived through the period of racial injustice.

"This is the right thing to do... but my parents and my grandparents' generation, they are not here any longer, so they don't get to appreciate this apology."

https://abc7.com/politics/ca-lawmake...camps/5944111/

― Frank Zappa

Page 1120 of 1120 FirstFirst ... 870102010701095111011161117111811191120