Page 991 of 991 FirstFirst ... 741891941966981987988989990991
Results 14,851 to 14,861 of 14861

Re: National, Regional and Local News

Meanwhile...

St. Louis Post-Dispatch‏Verified account
    @stltoday
    Follow Follow @stltoday
    More
    UPDATE: Missouri Gov. Eric Greitens indicted on felony invasion of privacy; Greitens taken into custody and booked at St. Louis Justice Center http://bit.ly/2GEpvjZ
    Trump is a Puckinfutz (Vote �� Nov 6, 2018)
    ‏@HRPuckinfutz
    23m23 minutes ago
    More
    Replying to @stltoday
    "The indictment apparently stems from allegations made in media reports last month that, during the course of an extramarital affair, took a photograph of his bound and partially nude lover and threatened to publicize it if she exposed the affair."

GOP family values.
    Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth (paraphrased)

Rachel Maddow MSNBC
    ‏Verified account @maddow

Here's the indictment of Missouri Governor Eric Greitens: [IMG]pic.twitter.com/w9gjknNY66[/IMG]
    Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth (paraphrased)

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    I wonder how the survivor's and their families felt when they saw this picture and realized he had to be told how to appear empathetic?
    Listening to the survivors and parents speak over the past week, I would say that couldn't care less about empathy. They want action, and anything less is an insult.

Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan View Post
    Listening to the survivors and parents speak over the past week, I would say that couldn't care less about empathy. They want action, and anything less is an insult.
    The survivors are one thing. The parents another. Interesting that it's an insult now, but it wasn't for many of them when it happened in Newtown or one of the other many towns across the country, because a good deal of them voted for Idiot and Republicans and knew very well that was a vote in support of the NRA's gun lobby. It was clear that was some of the emotion from the parents and teachers. Now that this has happened to them, to their kids, their school, their community, maybe they'll vote in ways that are against the the gun lobby, but I have my doubts.

I believe most of the kids I've seen are amazing and will continue to work for change and vote in line with the change they want to see. This event has altered them and their viewpoint, and it's clearly hitting a note with kids their age throughout the country as well. But I fear while some of these specific parents may change their tune, given it took their own children being in actual and not figurative harms way to get them to see the light, this will have to happen in many more places before we see true action because until then, the pro-gun lobby will get the votes they need elected.

So, I'm not getting my hopes up just yet, though one would hope this is the beginning of change. But I thought for sure Newtown would spark more radical changes as well.
    Last edited by JazzNU; 02-23-2018 at 09:43 AM.

The Boys Are Not All Right
    By MICHAEL IAN BLACK FEB. 21, 2018

Morozov Photo/iStock, via Getty Images Plus

I used to have this one-liner: “If you want to emasculate a guy friend, when you’re at a restaurant, ask him everything that he’s going to order, and then when the waitress comes … order for him.” It’s funny because it shouldn’t be that easy to rob a man of his masculinity — but it is.

Last week, 17 people, most of them teenagers, were shot dead at a Florida school. Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School now joins the ranks of Sandy Hook, Virginia Tech, Columbine and too many other sites of American carnage. What do these shootings have in common? Guns, yes. But also, boys. Girls aren’t pulling the triggers. It’s boys. It’s almost always boys.

America’s boys are broken. And it’s killing us.

The brokenness of the country’s boys stands in contrast to its girls, who still face an abundance of obstacles but go into the world increasingly well equipped to take them on.

The past 50 years have redefined what it means to be female in America. Girls today are told that they can do anything, be anyone. They’ve absorbed the message: They’re outperforming boys in school at every level. But it isn’t just about performance. To be a girl today is to be the beneficiary of decades of conversation about the complexities of womanhood, its many forms and expressions.

Boys, though, have been left behind. No commensurate movement has emerged to help them navigate toward a full expression of their gender. It’s no longer enough to “be a man” — we no longer even know what that means.

Too many boys are trapped in the same suffocating, outdated model of masculinity, where manhood is measured in strength, where there is no way to be vulnerable without being emasculated, where manliness is about having power over others. They are trapped, and they don’t even have the language to talk about how they feel about being trapped, because the language that exists to discuss the full range of human emotion is still viewed as sensitive and feminine.

Men feel isolated, confused and conflicted about their natures. Many feel that the very qualities that used to define them — their strength, aggression and competitiveness — are no longer wanted or needed; many others never felt strong or aggressive or competitive to begin with. We don’t know how to be, and we’re terrified.

But to even admit our terror is to be reduced, because we don’t have a model of masculinity that allows for fear or grief or tenderness or the day-to-day sadness that sometimes overtakes us all.

Case in point: A few days ago, I posted a brief thread about these thoughts on Twitter, knowing I would receive hateful replies in response. I got dozens of messages impugning my manhood; the mildest of them called me a “soy boy” (a common insult among the alt-right that links soy intake to estrogen).

And so the man who feels lost but wishes to preserve his fully masculine self has only two choices: withdrawal or rage. We’ve seen what withdrawal and rage have the potential to do. School shootings are only the most public of tragedies. Others, on a smaller scale, take place across the country daily; another commonality among shooters is a history of abuse toward women.

To be clear, most men will never turn violent. Most men will turn out fine. Most will learn to navigate the deep waters of their feelings without ever engaging in any form of destruction. Most will grow up to be kind. But many will not.

We will probably never understand why any one young man decides to end the lives of others. But we can see at least one pattern and that pattern is glaringly obvious. It’s boys.

I believe in boys. I believe in my son. Sometimes, though, I see him, 16 years old, swallowing his frustration, burying his worry, stomping up the stairs without telling us what’s wrong, and I want to show him what it looks like to be vulnerable and open but I can’t. Because I was a boy once, too.

There has to be a way to expand what it means to be a man without losing our masculinity. I don’t know how we open ourselves to the rich complexity of our manhood. I think we would benefit from the same conversations girls and women have been having for these past 50 years.

I would like men to use feminism as an inspiration, in the same way that feminists used the civil rights movement as theirs. I’m not advocating a quick fix. There isn’t one. But we have to start the conversation. Boys are broken, and I want to help.

Michael Ian Black (@michaelianblack) is a comedian, actor and author.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/21/o...e-iphone-share

Hillary called trumpettes deplorables. She was too kind.

SEE IT: Georgia lawmaker admits she voted down distracted driving bill for revenge
    BY
    JESSICA SCHLADEBECK

A Georgia lawmaker unknowingly admitted on camera that she was purposefully “causing trouble” when she voted against legislation taking aim at distracted drivers.

The video, obtained by Channel 2 Action News, sees Rep. Betty Price speaking about the bill with Mary Carol Harsch, whose husband was killed two years ago by a driver on his phone.

“It’s a protest because they ignored my bill last year,” Price says in the clip.

The Georgia Republican, who is also the wife of former Health and Human Services Secretary Tom Price, confessed her minority vote against the distracted driving legislation was to punish her colleagues, who previously voted down her version of the bill.

“I’m just causing trouble. I’m not philosophically opposed,” she tells the widow.

Harsch said the comments made her feel as though her role in getting the bill passed “were completely insignificant to” Price.

When asked if she had anything to say to the Representative, Harsch responded: “I’m sorry that you are not demonstrating the leadership and the potential and the dedication that is expected of you by your constituents.”

No stranger to controversy, Price has previously made headlines for her contentious comments.

In October, she suggested that all people with HIV be quarantined — though she has said those remarks were taken out of context. Price also sparked backlash during a Fulton County GOP breakfast earlier this month, where she insulted the looks and intelligence of high-profile Democrat women, according to Channel 2 Action News.

When confronted with the clip, Price declined to watch.

“I’m not sure I want to see it,” she told the news station. “All I know is we have carnage on our highways and we need to do something about it.”

The politician added she also has “complete empathy” for Harsch and that they are “solving the problem the best we can.”

With only one other vote against the bill, it easily passed and is now headed for the House Rules Committee.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/poli...=NYDailyNewsTw

Delta and United join list of companies to cut ties with the NRA
    by Jackie Wattles @jackiewattles

Two major airlines. A cybersecurity firm. Six car rental brands. A home security company. An Omaha bank. Companies have scrambled to cut ties with the National Rifle Association over the past couple of days, and the list continued to grow into the weekend.

Delta Air Lines (DAL) announced Saturday morning that it's ending discounted rates for NRA members. "We will be requesting that the NRA remove our information from their website," the company said in a tweet.

United Airlines (UAL) followed a short time later, saying the company will no longer offer discounts on flights to the NRA annual meeting.

And TrueCar (TRUE), a car buying service, said late Friday that it would end its deal with the NRA as of February 28.

The companies were the latest to abandon partnerships with the NRA amid a renewed public debate over tightened gun laws following a school shooting in Florida last week that left 17 dead.

First National Bank of Omaha on Thursday pledged to stop issuing an NRA-branded Visa card. A bank spokesperson said "customer feedback" prompted a review of its partnership with the NRA, and it chose not to renew its current contract.

There was also a wave of car rental outfits. Enterprise Holdings, which runs the Enterprise, Alamo and National car rental groups, announced that it will end the discount deal it has with the NRA on March 26.

On Friday, car rental company Hertz (HTZ) said in a tweet that it's also ending its NRA rental car discount program.

The NRA was advertising a Hertz partnership on its "member benefits" page as recently as Friday morning, but that listing disappeared by the afternoon.

The National Rifle Association did not immediately comment on Saturday about the decisions by the various companies to sever ties.

Avis and Budget, which are owned by the same company, were also listed as discount providers on NRA's website Friday. But when reached for comment, Avis Budget Group told CNNMoney that it too was ending its partnership with the organization.

"Effective March 26, our brands will no longer provide the NRA member discount," an Avis Budget Group spokesperson said via email.

More big names followed suit.

A spokesperson for moving van lines Allied and North American, which are both owned by Sirva, said Friday that the brands "no longer have an affiliate relationship with the NRA effective immediately."

"We have asked them to remove our listing from their benefits site," the spokesperson added. The company did not describe what kind of benefits had been offered to NRA members.

Insurance giant MetLife said Friday that it's ending its discounts on home and auto insurance for NRA members.

Symantec (SYMC), which makes the Norton anti-virus software and owns the identity theft protection company LifeLock, said Friday that it is severing ties with the NRA. And SimpliSafe, which sells home security systems, said the same.

None of the companies gave details about why or when they decided to cut ties with the NRA, but the news comes as the hashtag #BoycottNRA has circulated widely on social media.

After the shooting in Parkland, Florida on February 14, survivors of the massacre have protested for stronger gun laws. Students across the country have walked out of class to demand new restrictions on the sale of firearms and an end to mass shootings in the U.S.

Some survivors of mass shootings confronted NRA spokeswoman Dana Loesch at a CNN town hall on Wednesday. Loesch blamed a flawed system for letting people who shouldn't be able to buy guns slip through the cracks.

Two other companies -- the insurer Chubb and Wyndham Hotel Group -- confirmed to CNNMoney Friday that they've recently ended partnerships with the NRA. However, those decisions were made prior to the shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida last week.

Chubb said in a statement that it "provided notice of our intent to discontinue participation in the NRA Carry Guard insurance program" three months ago.

The NRA Carry Guard program offers coverage for certain costs associated with gun-related accidents or incidents in which the gun owner claims they lawfully acted in self defense.

Lockton, another insurance firm, continues to underwrite policies for the NRA Carry Guard program, according to the NRA's website. Lockton did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Wyndham Hotel Group (WYN) said in a statement that it "ended our relationship with the NRA late last year."

http://money.cnn.com/2018/02/23/news...nts/index.html

Missouri GOP‏Verified account
    @MissouriGOP
    Follow Follow @MissouriGOP
    More
    Here’s our full statement on the recent news re: Governor Greitens

This was released in response to this story:

Missouri Gov. Eric Greitens indicted for felony invasion of privacy
    By Kevin McDermott and Robert Patrick St. Louis Post-Dispatch Feb 23, 2018

ST. LOUIS • Missouri Gov. Eric Greitens, who was swept into office in 2016 with a vow to clean up a corrupt state government, was indicted and booked Thursday on a felony invasion of privacy charge for allegedly taking and transmitting a non-consensual photo of his partly nude lover shortly before that campaign started.

It stems from a scandal that broke last month, in which Greitens was accused of threatening his lover with the photo — an allegation that isn't mentioned in the indictment. Greitens has admitted having an extramarital affair, but has denied the rest.

St. Louis Circuit Attorney Kim Gardner's office announced the grand jury indictment Thursday afternoon. A Post-Dispatch reporter saw Greitens being led down a hallway by several St. Louis city deputies on the first floor of the Carnahan Courthouse in downtown St. Louis at about 3:45 p.m. Officials later confirmed Greitens had been taken into custody and then booked at the St. Louis Justice Center.

Greitens, a Republican, declared his innocence in a written statement, and alleged the indictment is a "misguided political decision" by a "reckless liberal prosecutor." Gardner is a Democrat.

Greitens' legal team immediately filed a motion to dismiss the indictment, on grounds that any activity Greitens engaged in was "consensual."

Judge Rex M. Burlison allowed Greitens' release on a personal recognizance bond that permits him to travel freely throughout the United States. Greitens was scheduled to travel to Washington this weekend for an annual meeting of the nation’s governors. But Elena Waskey, spokesperson for the National Governors Association, said late Thursday that Greitens informed the organization that he would not be attending.

Online court records indicate Greitens is due back in court on March 16.

(...)

Gardner, in her statement announcing the indictment, said the grand jury found probable cause to believe Greitens violated a Missouri statute that makes it a felony to transmit a non-consensual image showing nudity in a manner that allows access to that image via a computer.

"As I have stated before, it is essential for residents of the city of St. Louis and our state to have confidence in their leaders," Gardner said in the statement.

On Jan. 10, the Post-Dispatch and other area media reported that Greitens, a first-term Republican elected in 2016, had had an extramarital affair near the start of that campaign, in 2015.

The allegation was put forward by the husband of Greitens' lover, based on a surreptitious audio recording he made of a conversation with her.

The woman said in the recording that, during a consensual sexual encounter in Greitens' St. Louis home in which she was bound and partly undressed, Greitens took a photo of her without her consent and threatened her with it.

There was nothing in the initial allegation to indicate that Greitens ever followed through on the alleged threat to disseminate the photo, and in fact the woman said later in the secretly recorded conversation that he'd later told her he'd erased it.

However, Gardner's written statement Thursday indicates there is now an allegation that he did in fact "transmit" the image at some point.

"This statute has a provision for both a felony and misdemeanor," Gardner said in her statement. "The law makes it a felony if a person transmits the image contained in the photograph or film in a manner that allows access to that image via a computer."

Under Missouri law, the crime of “invasion of privacy” includes creating “an image of another person” by any means, “without the person’s consent, while the person is in a state of full or partial nudity and is in a place where one would have a reasonable expectation of privacy.”

That offense alone — taking a compromising photo without a person’s consent, even without disseminating it or threatening to — is a Class A misdemeanor, punishable by up to a year in jail.

Invasion of privacy becomes a felony offense in Missouri if the person taking the nonconsensual picture subsequently "distributes the image to another or transmits the image in a manner that allows access to that image via computer." In that case, the crime is a Class E felony, punishable by up to four years in prison.

In a statement, Greitens attorney Edward L. Dowd Jr. said, “In forty years of public and private practice, I have never seen anything like this. The charges against my client are baseless and unfounded. My client is absolutely innocent.”

Dowd's motion to dismiss doesn't specifically deny the allegation that Greitens took the photo. Instead, it claims that the law used in the indictment was meant to apply to "peeping toms," and not to "a situation between two people engaged in consensual sexual activity."

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/g...368208a30.html

Judd Legum‏Verified account
    @JuddLegum
    Following Following @JuddLegum
    More
    TIL(today I learned) the NRA has a concealed carry fashion show and it's really something
    Paging Mr Freud!

Um, WOW! And not in a good way.

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

I just want to know what George Soros "groups" are. They're not really trying (just like that fashion "model")

Page 991 of 991 FirstFirst ... 741891941966981987988989990991