Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Re: National, Regional and Local News

Is this the right place for this?

Oh Grigor. You silly man.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Midi Golf Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, mahjong Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Am I the only one saying, "Ew"? I have always been sympathetic to him, but... Ew...
    Winston, a.k.a. Alvena Rae Risley Hiatt (1944-2019), RIP

Quote Originally Posted by dryrunguy View Post
    Am I the only one saying, "Ew"? I have always been sympathetic to him, but... Ew...
    Why "ew"?
    There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.

― Frank Zappa

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Midi Golf Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, mahjong Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    Why "ew"?
    He praises his colleagues at Fox, how great they are, goes on and on about the pursuit of the truth, suggests that's what his colleagues have been doing... I don't know.
    Winston, a.k.a. Alvena Rae Risley Hiatt (1944-2019), RIP

He praises his colleagues at Fox, how great they are, goes on and on about the pursuit of the truth, suggests that's what his colleagues have been doing... I don't know.
    Ari just had a guest on who pointed out Barr met with Murdoch yesterday and today Smith is gone.
    There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.

― Frank Zappa

I'm sure that his contract probably had some verbage requiring this type of praise or he would lost some cash. What is really sad is to think who they will bring in to replace him, since I'm sure that it will be some Trump praising automaton.
    "And for my next fearless prediction..."

I know that what Jeff said may well be true (that he had to say what he said). But I don't have any sympathy for him, nor do I even think "ew" is a strong enough negative for the way I feel. I know that recently he has tried a bit to be a voice of reason. But whatever the conditions, this farewell speech made me want to vomit repeatedly. Heaping all that praise on people at Fox News for being truthful, etc........I listened to it all and barely got through it with my supper.

Unfortunately, Jeff is almost certainly right that the replacement will be worse.

What we need is to be rid of them all, at least from anything called "news". While this guy may have been "good" by Fox News standards, it was still Fox News.

GH

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Fox News' evolution to state-run television is complete.
    Oh Grigor. You silly man.

Jerry Falwell Jr. settles Miami court case over South Beach ‘pool boy’ venture
    BY DOUGLAS HANKS
    OCTOBER 07, 2019 11:28 AM, UPDATED OCTOBER 07, 2019 06:54 PM

Jerry Falwell Jr. has settled the Miami court case that laid out many of the details behind the South Beach real estate venture his family launched in 2013 with a former Fontainebleau pool attendant the evangelical leader and his wife met while on vacation.

In a federal court filing, Falwell and the young lawyer who sued him, Gordon Bello, said they have settled the case for an undisclosed “monetary sum” that Falwell, the president of Liberty University in Lynchburg, Virginia, will pay Bello, a legislative aide for the Miami-Dade County Commission.

Bello sued in 2017, claiming he was promised a stake in the South Beach hostel that a Falwell family entity purchased in 2013 for $4.7 million. Bello, 28, claims he and his father, Miami builder Jett Bello, pitched Falwell on the hostel idea after being introduced by Giancarlo Granda, a high school friend of the younger Bello’s.

Granda had met Jerry and Rebecca Falwell while they were vacationing at the Fontainebleau and he was working as what the Bello lawsuit later described dismissively as a “pool boy.”

Granda befriended the Falwells, flew with them on corporate jets and, in 2012, traveled to Liberty to meet a famous keynote speaker there: future president Donald Trump.

Granda was granted a 25 percent share in the South Beach venture about a year later, and Bello’s suit claimed he was promised a similar share. He sued to be compensated on the alleged agreement, which he never documented in court papers and which Falwell denied ever existed.

Bello said in court papers that he first met Rebecca Falwell through Granda, and formed a “personal relationship” with her before he met Jerry Falwell in the lobby of the Loews Miami Beach for the alleged pitch meeting in 2012.

In court papers, Falwell denied promising Bello anything, and his lawyers noted the plaintiff never filed any emails, texts or documents suggesting a deal existed. The case became a side plot to the national saga of Falwell and his business venture with Granda, not to mention the other odd twists, such as an ex-Trump lawyer claiming he had once intervened to track down compromising photos of the Falwells.

There were unexplained developments in the Bello litigation, too. He was previously known as Jesus Fernandez Jr., and his father as Jesus Fernandez Sr. Both changed their names to Bello in the summer of 2016, saying they did so under pressure.

The younger Bello said in court papers the change was “due to a matter directly related to the subject matter of this lawsuit.” The elder Bello told the Miami Herald the change was due to “major concerns” and those concerns were “based on threats.”

In a statement Monday, Falwell lawyer Joshua Spector said the settlement still requires court action and declined to comment. “At this juncture, there remains judicial labor to be undertaken in the case and therefore I abide by my policy to refrain from discussing pending litigation,” said Spector, a Miami lawyer.

Bello declined to comment, and his lawyer, Michael Addicott, did not respond to a request for comment.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/loc...235871947.html

― Frank Zappa

Slate Money talks about what happens when you let economists make policy instead of them theorizing and the government making policy. They talk alot about why it's so expensive to fly in the US and so cheap to fly in Europe. They also talk about how US corporations decision to not focus on human rights abuses in China in the belief that they would change their approach wasn't such a good idea.

https://slate.com/podcasts/slate-mon...s-hour-edition

― Frank Zappa

The reason why it is so expensive to fly in the USA is because you are left with only three airlines to really talk about. And there is no way that they don't call each other and set up prices.
    For example, when I go to Colorado, I only have two choices. And one of them is seasonal, so I can't take it.
    Oligopolies, I believe they are called.
    Missing winter...

You need some disruptive forces like Ryanair and EasyJet. There might be also some differences in taxes and airport fees we don't know about.
    Roger forever

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    The reason why it is so expensive to fly in the USA is because you are left with only three airlines to really talk about. And there is no way that they don't call each other and set up prices.
    For example, when I go to Colorado, I only have two choices. And one of them is seasonal, so I can't take it.
    Oligopolies, I believe they are called.
    The folks at Slate Money say that the reason we only have 4 major airlines in the States is because of the
    economic theory of the "free market" that ended up allowing consolidation. In Europe the governments/EU are still involved and that is why there are so many options for European travelers.

Of course they collude.

― Frank Zappa

Katie Benner
    @ktbenner

At a ceremony to honor the passage of the Shephard-Byrd hate crimes act, Matthew Shephard's parents accused AG Barr of hypocrisy for not defending civil rights for trans people. DOJ employees gave that sentiment a standing ovation.

― Frank Zappa

Page 1110 of 1110 FirstFirst ... 860101010601085110011061107110811091110