Agree Agree:  1,749
Likes Likes:  1,710
Page 1129 of 1137 FirstFirst ... 8791029107911041119112511261127112811291130113111321133 ... LastLast
Results 16,921 to 16,935 of 17053
    Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Re: National, Regional and Local News

Ponchi, I watched the video of the murder yesterday. I couldn't believe what I was seeing and hearing. It is right up there with the most revolting things I have seen in my lifetime.
    Winston, a.k.a. Alvena Rae Risley Hiatt (1944-2019), RIP

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    Sorry to detour so hard.
    Since we are basically only looking at C19, some other issues are floating by. The George Floyd case in the USA is being mentioned but not with the urgency needed.
    Lebron James posted this:
    Attachment 6252

Although the Minneapolis PD has already fired the 4 police officers involved in the incident, this is of course nowhere near enough. Unless they are charged, tried and then proper justice is delivered, nothing would be achieved.
    And if on day 1 of the next NFL season not a single players takes a knee... shame on them (it should be collective).
    Br A. Williams
    @BariAWilliams
    May 26
    Tell me more about "Minnesota nice?"

The actions of that police officer are similar in type and scope of cases that Klobuchar declined to prosecute for 12 people killed by police. THIS is why she has no business on a ticket.
    No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up. Lily Tomlin.

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    Br A. Williams
    @BariAWilliams
    May 26
    Tell me more about "Minnesota nice?"

The actions of that police officer are similar in type and scope of cases that Klobuchar declined to prosecute for 12 people killed by police. THIS is why she has no business on a ticket.
    Who should be Biden VP?
    2017 & 2018 Australian Open Champions

Quote Originally Posted by patrick View Post
    Who should be Biden VP?
    I will reply in the "Run to the WH" thread.

Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan View Post
    And they swear up and down to reporters racism has nothing to do with their support for Tiny.

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    And they swear up and down to reporters racism has nothing to do with their support for Tiny.
    The most unsurprising piece of news for a long time.
    I have said it before, so sorry to sound so arrogant. Do not look at deep reasons why Tiny has 40% support. Do not fall in the PoliSci trap of making overly complicated and extravagant explanations. They support him out of plain racism.
    That is the depth of the analysis.
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

Having previously been one to try to analyze it up and down, I now realize that Ponchi is largely right. I still think there are others in his camp who are so completely one-issue voters (abortion or gun rights) that they will stay there no matter what. They are probably also racists, but that might not be the primary motivation for some. GH

In 1988, N.W.A. released Straight outta Compton. I am not fully versed on Hip Hop but I understand that the album was groundbreaking, comparable to The Beatles' White Album or Miles Davis' Kind of Blue.
    The most controversial song in SOC was "F***Tha Police". The title says enough.
    The FBI delivered a letter to the recording company, "expressing disapproval and arguing that the song misrepresented police" (From Wiki).

yeah, sure. It did.

(You know what I am talking about)
    Last edited by ponchi101; 05-28-2020 at 09:24 AM.
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

A beautiful aftermath video of that dam failure in Michigan. It will be a nice looking wild river in few years.

Roger forever

Looks like a good place for a golf course. Nice and flat with some interesting features to build around, and no trees to remove. Just have to role in the sod. I understand that the lake bed in private property, and developing it in that way would help some of the property owners maintain some value in their properties, and help to stabilize the surface.

Wixom Lake to become a lake again after tentative $9M deal
    Updated Apr 26, 2019; Posted Apr 26, 2019

GLADWIN COUNTY, MI - Residents on and near Wixom Lake could soon ride boats and swim in Wixom Lake this summer after a new deal was reached to purchase dams and lake bottoms.

The Four Lakes Task Force, an organization created to establish legal lake levels that are safe for the community, has purchased Wixom, Sanford, Secord and Smallwood Dams and lake bottoms from current operator Boyce Hydro LLC for $9.4 million. The deal is expected to be signed by June 2019.

According to a news release, the task force or Boyce Hydro, which had its licensed revoked last year for failing to perform dam upgrades, will make repairs or upgrades needed to all the dams.

Additionally, the agreement reads in part, “subject to coordination with the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality, the filling of Wixom Lake will begin by late April 2019 by Boyce Hydro.”

​“While there is still significant work to do before reaching a final agreement, including Circuit Court approval for the Special Assessment District and establishment of the court-ordered legal lake levels, this is a major milestone in assuring we have a sustainable structure for the lakes moving forward,” said Dave Kepler, chairman, Four Lakes Task Force, in a news release.

For some business owners in the community that have property on the lake means it is good news.

“Without the water, it’s our business for the summer,” said Cheryl Newcomb, manager of Wixom Lake Gas and Launch. “A lot of our businesses for the year is those four (summer) months.”

She added she is hoping the water levels will be back in time for Memorial Day Weekend.

Another resident who lives on one of the canals connecting to the river said she wasn’t sure if they would get the water back, which could have been problematic for lakeside residents.

“People aren’t going to buy lakefront property without water,” said Susan VanPatten, who lives on the lake, adding that if she wanted to sell her property, she would be out of luck without the water.

https://www.mlive.com/news/saginaw-b...e-9m-deal.html

The big national news right now centers around the riots in Minneapolis overnight. Louisville and some other cities also had riots. This breaking news is everywhere, so I won't go into any details. GH

BTW Chauvin has fled to...Orlando, Florida. People know his address there and have posted it on Twitter.

Omar Jimenez
    @OmarJimenez
    Derek Chauvin has now officially been taken into custody, according to the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension. He is the officer seen with his knee on George Floyds neck. #GeorgeFloyd
    Mr Jimenez is the Afro-Latino reporter who was arrested in Minneapolis earlier today because despite the equipment he and his crew had as well as their ID's the police there didn't know if he was really a reporter or not.

Waiting to see where he was arrested.

Via ABC News:

The latest: The Minneapolis officer who was seen on video kneeling on the neck of George Floyd, a handcuffed black man who died in custody after pleading that he could not breathe, was arrested Friday.

Public Safety Commissioner John Harrington said state investigators arrested Derek Chauvin.

The arrest comes after three days of protests, which escalated in violence as demonstrators torched a police precinct that had been abandoned by officers.

Page 1129 of 1137 FirstFirst ... 8791029107911041119112511261127112811291130113111321133 ... LastLast