Agree Agree:  1,642
Likes Likes:  1,647
Page 1122 of 1122 FirstFirst ... 872102210721097111211181119112011211122
Results 16,816 to 16,822 of 16822

Re: National, Regional and Local News

Quote Originally Posted by GlennHarman View Post
    The joke in Minnesota was: We have two seasons, winter, and two weeks of bad cross-country skiing. GH
    The other version of that joke that I've heard many times - in Canada we only have two seasons - winter & road construction.

Quote Originally Posted by suliso View Post
    Wayoming is one of the most beautiful states in US. That's got to count for something.
    Does it though? It wouldn't erase the many other problems with the state for me.

Also, anyone who wants to answer Jackson Hole for Wyoming as their one city, I want you to attach a photo of your bank statement to your post.

It would for me partially. Hiking and generally being outdoors is in my nature.
    Roger forever

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    Colorado is awesome, if you like snow.
    New Mexico is really nice too.
    Louisiana is not even close to my TOP TEN states NEVER to live in. Great food, and nice scenery. The northern portion is very pretty. It would easily beat GA, FL, Mississippi or Missouri, Alabama (Alabama!!! ), Texas (except San Antonio, indeed), Nevada or the Dakotas.
    But then, it would still not be my place of choice, even though I know it quite well. It is indeed backwater and the culture of the state is way too southern. If you catch my drift.
    I would stay in my sleepy little Colorado town.
    They say Louisiana has bad roads, crooked politicans and good food.
    2017 & 2018 Australian Open Champions

We went to New Orleans over a Memorial Day Weekend. It was just warm enough to work up a good sweat on the way to the River Walk but the infamous humidity wasn't leaving people unfamiliar with it passed out in the street.
    Most people either love or hate New Orleans I notice. There isn't any middleground.

Would I move to Louisiana? No way

I liked Savannah too. My father's family is from the area and I would like to go back for a visit. Would I move to South Carolina? Nope.
    There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.

― Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by patrick View Post
    They say Louisiana has bad roads, crooked politicans and good food.
    Could be the slogan for Chicago too.

Responding to Jazz in post 16814:

By the way, Alabama was the last state to get left out, so it was our 5th from the bottom.

We didn't make any rules for criteria when discussing this. It was a very casual discussion about where would be least likely to move. But I would say that Iowa City would keep Iowa off that bottom 4 list. And there are places in South Dakota that might do that. It is very hard to explain why North Dakota wasn't on the list, probably should be close. And Nebraska has Lincoln, but otherwise should be a very strong contender.

I'm totally with Suliso on Wyoming...beauty, hiking, etc. I spent some time once camping with my dog in the Big Horn Mountains near Sheridan. Sheridan is quite a cute town, and those mountains were fabulous. They are also way off most people's list of places to visit, so it is very easy to find solitude there. They are a few hours east of Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons, sort of just stuck there. But I loved them. For reasons of politics, I wouldn't fit in in Wyoming at all, but it would be nowhere near the bottom for me. (keep in mind that I live currently in a county that I can't believe I live in...also for political reasons).

Bottom line is that there are easily 15 states that I would only move to kicking and screaming.

GH

Page 1122 of 1122 FirstFirst ... 872102210721097111211181119112011211122