Agree Agree:  1,462
Likes Likes:  1,520
Page 1085 of 1087 FirstFirst ... 8359851035106010751081108210831084108510861087 LastLast
Results 16,261 to 16,275 of 16297

Re: National, Regional and Local News

WTH? That is seriously disturbing. The story, the way it was handled, all of it. Since when are 45 vials stolen in 3 days considered drug possession and not drug dealing? That is not the amount for a personal stash. So not only do I suspect she'd have been in prison longer with the Bronx DA, I'd say different, more serious charges with lengthier prison sentences would've been filed against her. This is a joke.

And what's up with security around drug access protocols at Montefiore? Feeling decidedly less comfortable with my great aunt being seen there after reading that, it's very close to the senior apartments she lives in.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennHarman View Post
    Whooosh......I agree, Ti. How in the world did someone let her off with probation only? GH
    C.
    O.
    L.
    O.
    R.

You have to start having a system in which the defendants are never identified in public, testify via a voice-distorter system, and are not seen by judge or jurors. Defendant A, sitting in a remote box somewhere. So these little nuances do not interfere with the proper administration of justice.
    (Sorry. I just woke up and must have typed that stuff while still dreaming).
    Starry starry night

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post
    WTH? That is seriously disturbing. The story, the way it was handled, all of it. Since when are 45 vials stolen in 3 days considered drug possession and not drug dealing? That is not the amount for a personal stash. So not only do I suspect she'd have been in prison longer with the Bronx DA, I'd say different, more serious charges with lengthier prison sentences would've been filed against her. This is a joke.

And what's up with security around drug access protocols at Montefiore? Feeling decidedly less comfortable with my great aunt being seen there after reading that, it's very close to the senior apartments she lives in.
    My sister recovered from a very serious stroke at Monte as we call it. When she was touch and go they kept her under sedation using fentanyl so I'm pretty familiar with what the procedures surrounding its use and handling are. What's surprising is that she was so bold (open?) with her actions. No one was going to miss 45 bottles of fentanyl? Really?
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    No one was going to miss 45 bottles of fentanyl? Really?
    Seriously, that's a ton of fentanyl. It's 100 times stronger than morphine I believe and like 40 times stronger than heroin. 45 bottles? Get out of here with that. She stole it over 3 days, not over 3 years or anything. Can't believe she skated on possession and probation.

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post
    Seriously, that's a ton of fentanyl. It's 100 times stronger than morphine I believe and like 40 times stronger than heroin. 45 bottles? Get out of here with that. She stole it over 3 days, not over 3 years or anything. Can't believe she skated on possession and probation.
    Her lawyers deserve every penny she paid them for getting the case out of the Bronx. She'd have been charged with trafficking.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

U.S. Rep. Chip Roy single-handedly delays $19.1 billion disaster aid package
    Most Texans in Congress had hoped the bill would easily pass Friday because of a provision designed to expedite the release of billions of dollars in disaster aid to the state.

BY ABBY LIVINGSTON MAY 24, 2019

The move by U.S. Rep. Chip Roy, R-Austin, holds back the bill's passage by potentially another 11 days. Robin Jerstad for The Texas Tribune

WASHINGTON — A bipartisan group of Texas members of Congress will have to wait until early next month to see passage on a long-sought measure that will release more than $4 billion dollars in aid to parts of Texas that bear the brunt of hurricanes.

Legislation that swiftly passed the U.S. Senate on Thursday afternoon came to an abrupt halt on the U.S. House side at the hand of a Texan — U.S. Rep. Chip Roy, an Austin Republican.

The bill allocated over $19 billion in disaster funding for nine states and two territories. But most Texans in Congress were focused on the bill's provision that created a 90-day deadline for the Office of Management and Budget to release billions in grant funds to Texas that Congress approved more than a year ago after Hurricane Harvey.

The disaster funding bill had languished in both chambers. But then, on Thursday, congressional leaders and President Donald Trump were able to break the logjam, and the bill swiftly passed the Senate, 85-8. The chamber's two Texans — Republicans John Cornyn and Ted Cruz — voted for it.

By that point, most of the U.S. House was headed home for the Memorial Day recess. Members are not expected to return until June 3. The hope, among backers of the bill, was that the House would pass the bill with a voice vote – a measure that would only work if there were no objections within the chamber.

Some Texas sources had anticipated an objection to the move, but that it turned out to be a fellow Texan shocked a number of them Friday morning.

Roy's core objection was procedural: He didn't like the notion of moving the bill forward after the House had left town, with little time to process legislation of that scale, according to a statement he released Friday. He further blamed House Speaker Nancy Pelosi for not holding members in Washington to vote on the bill.

“The people, particularly in Texas, but people generally, are tired of the swamp and this is a very swampy thing to do — have a vote on a Friday heading into Memorial Day weekend and after we recess, when we could have done our job yesterday when we had 435 members of Congress who should be here and should vote,” Roy said, according to Roll Call.

Cornyn played a key role in getting language into the Senate-passed bill that would force the Office of Management and Budget to release the $4 billion within 90 days of the bill becoming law. Among the Texas delegation, the deadline has become known as "the shot clock." A bipartisan bloc of U.S. House members from Texas pushed for a similar piece of legislation earlier this month.

But delaying the bill's passage means delaying the start of that clock. Roy's move Friday holds back the bill's passage by potentially another 11 days. While some sources working with the delegation immediately expressed frustration at further delaying the release of billions in aid to Texas, other Texans shrugged it off, suggesting that an additional 11 days won't make that much of a difference.

With the assumption that the bill passes when Congress returns from Memorial Day recess at the beginning of June, the OMB could end up waiting until late summer to release the funds — a time frame that blows past much of hurricane season, which begins June 1.

Roy won his seat to Congress last fall by less than 10,000 votes. He represents a far-inland district that stretches from Austin down to San Antonio and out west into the Texas Hill Country.

“Congressman Roy just singlehandedly blocked a unanimous, bipartisan agreement on disaster relief," said Avery Jaffe, a spokesperson for the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee. "Every day Congressman Roy spends in Washington he turns more into a creature of the swamp, making it clear why this is a top tier Democratic pickup opportunity.”

Immediately after Harvey in 2017, Texas members — particularly the Houstonians — went to great lengths to present a united front to the rest of the Congress on disaster funding. Texas, Puerto Rico and other communities impacted by disasters have been waiting over a year for the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development and OMB to set up the required guidelines for use of billions of dollars in grant funds that Congress approved in 2017.

Cornyn appeared just as caught off guard by what happened to the bill as anyone else. Earlier Friday morning, he sent a press release urging OMB to release the funds immediately.

“Hurricane season is a week away, and Texans still have not received the resources Congress and HUD approved after Harvey," Cornyn said in the release. "With the latest disaster bill approved, the time for excuses is over. The Acting Director must release these funds which Texans desperately need to rebuild as soon as possible.”

U.S. Rep. Lizzie Pannill Fletcher, D-Houston, authored a similar piece of legislation earlier this month.

“I am disappointed that a member of the Texas delegation has further delayed desperately needed funds for communities across Texas, including my own," she said in a statement. "Since I arrived in Congress, I have worked closely with my colleagues in a bipartisan way to make sure that we get Harvey relief funding as quickly as possible. This delay—at the start of hurricane season, no less—is an affront. "

https://www.texastribune.org/2019/05...source=twitter

Parent in college admissions scam beaten by his son as more parents admit guilt
    By AARON KATERSKY
    Saturday, May 25, 2019 12:15AM

A few days before beverage magnate Gregory Abbott pleaded guilty to a conspiracy charge in connection with the college admissions cheating scam, police say he was beaten up by one of his children in the family's swank Fifth Avenue home.

Malcolm Abbott, who raps under the name "Billa," repeatedly struck his father with a ruler, and punched, bit and kicked him inside the family's New York home on Sunday, the NYPD said.

Meanwhile, accused "Operation Varsity Blues" parents Jane Buckingham, Robert Flaxman and Marjorie Klapper pleaded guilty on Friday in Boston federal court to charges of conspiracy to commit mail fraud and honest services mail fraud. Today's hearing marks 13 parents total who have pleaded guilty thus far.

Malcolm Abbott was arrested two days later and charged with assault in the second degree.

Gregory Abbott and his wife Marcia, who split their time between New York and Aspen, pleaded guilty on Wednesday to paying a $125,000 bribe to inflate their daughter's standardized test scores. Prosecutors said they would recommend a sentence of one year in prison.

Abbott is the founder of the beverage distribution company International Dispensing Corp.

Malcolm Abbott has used the criminal case against his parents to sell tee-shirts on his social media page. The shirts say "Free Education: Bill You Later."

Prosecutors said parenting guru Jane Buckingham paid Singer $50,000 to have Mark Riddell take the ACT on behalf of her son. Buckingham sent Singer a copy of her son's writing sample, telling him as the plan came together, "I know this is craziness, I know it is. And then I need you to get him into USC, and then I need you to cure cancer and [make peace] in the Middle East." Her family and friends sat in the front row of the courtroom during the proceedings.

Prosecutors recommend Buckingham receive a sentence of 8 months and a fine of $40,000, and her sentencing is set for October 23.

According to prosecutors, Los Angeles real estate CEO Robert Flaxman paid $250,000 to have Singer secure his son's admission to the University of San Diego as an athletic recruit. Flaxman also paid $75,000 to have Riddell assist his daughter with her answers as she took her ACT exam.

Prosecutors recommended that Flaxman receive a sentence of 8 months and a fine of $40,000, and his sentencing is set for October 18.

Prosecutors said Marjorie Klapper, co-owner of a jewelry business in California, paid $15,000 to have Riddell proctor and correct her son's ACT exam. Klapper told the judge today she "willingly and remorsefully" admits to her role in the scheme. Prosecutors recommend Klapper receive a sentence of 4 months and a fine of $20,000, and her sentencing is set for October 16.

https://abc7.com/parent-in-college-a...guilt/5316643/

I don't understand how the amounts of the fines are being decided in those courts. Using Flaxman as an example.....he paid $250,000 to one and $75,000 to the other. As I look at this, the fines should start at the total of those 2 amounts and go up (and preferably go up by some multiple). A fine of $40,000 seems ludicrous, especially when we all know that the prison sentence either won't happen, or will be suspended, or will be turned into house arrest, or will happen in one of those places where they get to have a 12-hour pass 6 days a week, or whatever.

Just a bit of a rant. GH

I'm stuck on the freakin' little ingrate who was born with a silver spoon in his mouth who beat the parent who provided a life of luxury for him.

I'm stuck on the freakin' little ingrate who was born with a silver spoon in his mouth who beat the parent who provided a life of luxury for him.
    Billa the rapping toker who has nothing to do with the admissions scandal other than attempting to profit from it. His parents allowing him to be charged is a touch surprising. His shtick has got to be wearing thin, they'd do well to let him get a public defender and deal with real life and the consequences of one's actions for the first time in his life.

Colorado Becomes First State To Place Price Cap On Insulin

by
    allenzhu

While insulin can cost some diabetics upwards of $1,000 a month, Colorado has capped costs at $100.

Starting in January, Coloradans suffering from diabetes will pay no more than $100 per month for insulin to regulate blood sugar levels, following a new law approved by Governor Jared Polis on Wednesday, The Denver Post reports.

“Today, we will declare that the days of insulin price gouging are over in Colorado,” he declared as he signed the bill.

Insulin, which has existed for nearly 100 years, has seen its prices double over the past seven years, according to the Healthcare Cost Institute. For some, insulin can cost up to $1,000 per month, even with health care coverage.

“The sudden spike in insulin prices lead to congressional inquiries and public outrage, but Colorado is the first state to implement a cap on what its residents can be charged for the medication,” the Post reports. “The law doesn’t limit what insulin manufacturers can charge insurance companies, and it’s expected those insurers will pay the difference.”

State Representative Dylan Roberts (D-Avon) said earlier this year that the cost of health care plans is increasing by “a couple of cents, per person, per month.”

The bill signed into law on Wednesday also requires the Attorney General, Phil Weiser, to probe into why drug companies have been increasing the price of insulin over the past few years.

https://mavenroundtable.io/theintell...erm=Alessandra

The bill signed into law on Wednesday also requires the Attorney General, Phil Weiser, to probe into why drug companies have been increasing the price of insulin over the past few years.

https://mavenroundtable.io/theintell...erm=Alessandra
    Really?
    Starry starry night

Entertainment news, but since it's really about the national issue, putting it here.

NBCUniversal Says Georgia Abortion Law Would ‘Strongly Impact’ Decision-Making

NBCUniversal has joined Netflix, Disney and WarnerMedia in making a statement on the new abortion law in Georgia.

“We fully expect that the heartbeat bills and similar laws in various states will face serious legal challenges and will not go into effect while the process proceeds in court. If any of these laws are upheld, it would strongly impact our decision-making on where we produce our content in the future.”

Georgia is a major site for Hollywood productions outside of California and New York, with nearly 40 projects currently in production there. Since Netflix became the first major player to take a stance on the issue, telling Variety exclusively that it would “rethink [its] entire investment in Georgia” if the new law took hold, other studios have begun to step forward with statements of their own.

Comcast’s remarks follow WarnerMedia’s statement earlier Thursday. The parent of HBO, Turner and Warner Bros. had said it would “watch the situation closely and if the new law holds we will reconsider Georgia as the home to any new productions.”

Prior to that on Wednesday, Disney head Bob Iger had said it would be “very difficult” for the company, which owns Lucasfilm, Marvel and Pixar, to continue to do business in the state should the new law take effect.

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/com...ticle-comments

For anyone who doesn't keep up with this kind of thing, Atlanta has become 'Hollywood South' in the last decade and it is a major production location at this point in time. It is a multi-billion dollar industry for the state of Georgia, a major source of employment in the Greater Atlanta area, and the economic impact is even greater than what is spent. It is a full industry for them at this point after pursuing projects with aggressive tax credits in recent years. As threats/pressure goes, it may not get worse than this for Georgia.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Yahtzee Champion, Yeti 1 Greece Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

But the people who oppose a woman's right to choose also generally think that Hollywood produces filth. So in a bent and twisted way, it's a win/win for them--and economic consequences be damned because protecting fetuses, zygotes, fertilized eggs, and eggs that have the potential to be fertilized will always be significantly more important than actually feeding children thanks to an entertainment industry job.

Page 1085 of 1087 FirstFirst ... 8359851035106010751081108210831084108510861087 LastLast