Agree Agree:  1,757
Likes Likes:  1,720
Page 1134 of 1139 FirstFirst ... 8841034108411091124113011311132113311341135113611371138 ... LastLast
Results 16,996 to 17,010 of 17073
    Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Re: National, Regional and Local News

Pure pathological poppycock.
    Winston, a.k.a. Alvena Rae Risley Hiatt (1944-2019), RIP

Prosecutors: 3 men plotted to terrorize Vegas protests
    LAS VEGAS (AP) — Three Nevada men with ties to a loose movement of right-wing extremists advocating the overthrow of the U.S. government have been arrested on terrorism-related charges in what authorities say was a conspiracy to spark violence during recent protests in Las Vegas.

Federal prosecutors say the three white men with U.S. military experience are accused of conspiring to carry out a plan that began in April in conjunction with protests to reopen businesses closed because of the coronavirus.

More recently, they sought to capitalize on protests over the death of George Floyd, a black man who died in Minneapolis after a white officer pressed his knee into his neck for several minutes even after he stopped moving and pleading for air, prosecutors said.

The three men were arrested Saturday on the way to a protest in downtown Las Vegas after filling gas cans at a parking lot and making Molotov cocktails in glass bottles, according to a copy of the criminal complaint obtained by The Associated Press.

“People have a right to peacefully protest. These men are agitators and instigators. Their point was to hijack the protests into violence,” Nicholas Trutanich, U.S. attorney in Nevada, told AP. He referred to what he called “real and legitimate outrage” over Floyd's death.

The complaint filed in U.S. District Court in Las Vegas on Wednesday said they self-identified as part of the “boogaloo” movement, which U.S. prosecutors said in the document is “a term used by extremists to signify coming civil war and/or fall of civilization.”

Stephen T. Parshall, 35, Andrew T. Lynam Jr., 23, and William L. Loomis, 40, were being held on $1 million bond each in the Clark County jail Wednesday, according to court records. Lynam is from suburban Henderson and the others are from Las Vegas.

The complaint said Lynam is an Army reservist, with Parshall formerly enlisted in the Navy and Loomis formerly enlisted in the Air Force.

Each currently faces two federal charges — conspiracy to damage and destroy by fire and explosive, and possession of unregistered firearms. In state court, they've been accused of felony conspiracy, terrorism and explosives possession. Trutanich said they'll be prosecuted in both jurisdictions.

“This type of planning and intent on causing mayhem is terroristic and will not be tolerated,” said Steve Wolfson, the district attorney in Las Vegas.

Attorney Monti Levy, representing Loomis, declined to comment about the state case and did not immediately respond to a question about whether she’ll represent Loomis in federal court.

A deputy public defender representing Parshall declined to comment and an attorney appointed to represent Lynam did not immediately respond to messages.

A confidential informant met Lynam and Parshall at an early April rally in Las Vegas calling for the reopening of the state’s economy, the federal complaint said. The men were carrying firearms and Lynam said the group “was not for joking around and that it was for people who wanted to violently overthrow the United States government,” according to the complaint.

The informant said that during a May 27 meeting, Parshall and Loomis “discussed causing an incident to incite chaos and possibly a riot, in response to the death of a suspect," a reference to Floyd.

Loomis stated he wanted to firebomb a power substation, according to the informant in the criminal complaint.

But on May 28, Lynam instructed the group to observe the riots occurring nationwide and use that momentum as a driving force to possibly take action against a fee station at Lake Mead on federal land north of the Hoover Dam, on May 30. Other targets discussed included a U.S. Forest Service ranger station, the complaint said.

The informant stated that Parshall and Loomis’ “idea behind the explosion was to hopefully create civil unrest and rioting throughout Las Vegas.”

They wanted to use the momentum from riots occurring nationwide because of Floyd's death "to hopefully stir enough confusion and excitement, that others see the explosions and police presence and begin to riot in the streets out of anger,” the complaint said.

On May 28-29, FBI agents observed Parshall buy fireworks at a tribal travel plaza, and he indicated to the informant that he had glass bottles, rags and gasoline Molotov cocktails, the complaint said.

On May 30, all three and the informant agreed to take part in the Black Lives Matter protest in downtown Las Vegas, the complaint said.

The charges come as intelligence officials are warning that “violent opportunists” have been emboldened nationwide by attacks on law enforcement officials amid protests.

In a Tuesday internal intelligence assessment, U.S. Department of Homeland Security officials warned “this could lead to an increase in potentially lethal engagements with law enforcement officials as violent opportunists increasingly infiltrate ongoing protest activity.”

AP obtained a copy of the document, which cites the shooting of a Las Vegas police officer during protests, and two other officers shooting a heavily armed man at a nearby federal courthouse.

“Law enforcement officers continue to be the primary targets of firearm attacks, though several incidents last night involved violent opportunists shooting into crowds of protesters,” the assessment states.

The anti-government “boogaloo” movement is a loose network of gun enthusiasts who often express support for overthrowing the U.S. government. Its name, a reference to a 1984 movie sequel called “Breakin’ 2: Electric Boogaloo,” is a code word for a second civil war.

The movement is rooted in online meme culture, but the coronavirus pandemic has become a catalyst for real-world activity. Many “boogaloo” followers have shown up at COVID-19 lockdown protests armed with rifles and wearing tactical vests over Hawaiian shirts and leis, a nod to the “big luau” derivation of the movement’s name.

While some “boogaloo” promoters insist they aren’t genuinely advocating for violence, law-enforcement officials say they have foiled bombing and shooting plots by people who have connections to the movement or at least used its terminology.
    ___

This story has been corrected to accurately spell the name of Monti Levy.
    "And for my next fearless prediction..."

Plenty of reports of people with long weapons shadowing protesters. Add to that the armed forces in DC with no badges or ID's and what you have is Tiny's Tonton Macoute.
    You know where those people will be on Nov 4th.
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    Plenty of reports of people with long weapons shadowing protesters. Add to that the armed forces in DC with no badges or ID's and what you have is Tiny's Tonton Macoute.
    You know where those people will be on Nov 4th.
    I wish I could disagree with you about the Macoute and what appears to be a totally independent force under the direction of Billy and Tiny but I can't.
    “No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.” – Lily Tomlin.

Trump campaign pulls ad about SpaceX launch after former astronaut calls it political propaganda
    Karen Nyberg, whose husband, Doug Hurley, is aboard the space station, said the ad used her and her son’s image without her knowledge

By
    Christian Davenport
    June 5, 2020 at 2:53 p.m. EDT

The Trump campaign took down a video late Thursday trumpeting NASA’s return to human spaceflight, after harsh criticism that it was politicizing the event and violating NASA advertising rules.

The video featured Trump watching last week’s launch from the Kennedy Space Center along with the slogan “Make Space Great Again” and historic footage from the Apollo era.

On Twitter, Karen Nyberg, a former astronaut and wife of Doug Hurley, who was carried to the International Space Station by the SpaceX launch, blasted the advertisement, saying she found “it disturbing that a video image of me and my son is being used in political propaganda without my knowledge or consent. That is wrong.”

Hurley and Bob Behnken were the first American astronauts to be lifted into orbit from American soil since the space shuttle was retired in 2011.

The event was watched by millions and provided a moment of inspiration amid protests over George Floyd’s death and the fear of the global pandemic.

But the ad was quickly attacked as using an event of engineering and science for political gain. But Internet posts are hard to delete forever; the ad surfaced on another YouTube page.

Karen L. Nyberg @AstroKarenN

I find it disturbing that a video image of me and my son is being used in political propaganda without my knowledge or consent. That is wrong.
    @nasa @JimBridenstine
    Eric Berger
    @SciGuySpace
    A lot of people at NASA and SpaceX are upset about that MAGA space ad:

Petition · Stop Donald Trump politicizing SpaceX and NASA accomplishments
    The ad also runs against NASA regulations that prohibit the agency from endorsing “a commercial product, service or activity.”

“Astronauts or employees who are currently employed by NASA cannot have their names, likenesses or other personality traits displayed in any advertisements or marketing material,” the rules say.

The Trump campaign did not respond to a request for comment.

An online petition urging the campaign to remove the ad had more than 7,000 signatures by Friday. “NASA and the space industry as a whole have long tried to stay out of politics, and, until this Administration, that goal was at least partly attained,” the petition read.

NASA goes to great lengths to avoid endorsing any ideology or product, even going so far as to call the M&Ms astronauts gobble in space “candy-coated chocolates” out of fear of appearing to favor one brand of candy.

But politicians have from time to time used NASA’s exploits as the backdrop for their own political drama. “Watching the ad, I was reminded of Richard Nixon at the time of Apollo 11,” said John Logsdon, a space historian and a professor emeritus at George Washington University. “He had nothing to do with Apollo 11; he just happened to be the president when it happened. But he wrapped himself in the event. And never once mentioned Kennedy.”

In the early days of the Space Shuttle, two influential members of Congress scored rides. Sen. Jake Garn, a Republican from Utah, was the head of the appropriations committee that funded NASA, and leveraged his position to fly on the Shuttle, saying he “needed to kick the tires” of the program his committee had been funding.

The Doonesbury comic strip had a field day with Garn’s flight, calling it “the most extraordinary junket in the history of Congress.” Opinion columnists derided the flight as a “phenomenal waste of taxpayer money,” and said Congress was trying to “turn the space program into their own private Disneyland.”

Many were delighted when Garn reached orbit and immediately got sick. In Houston, astronauts developed what they called the “Garn scale:” 5, you were mildly sick; 1, you were puking your brains out.

The outrage didn’t deter another member of Congress, Bill Nelson, a Democrat from Florida, who flew the following year.

Trump has said he has no desire to go to space — though he did recently indicate to reporters that he would like to send a few of them there. He clearly was eager to use the successful launch as a high moment for his administration, and campaign. And when the SpaceX launch was scrubbed on its original date, he came back to the Kennedy Space Center in Florida for the second attempt, ready to deliver a speech touting his administration’s efforts in space.

“A new age of American ambition has now begun,” Trump said following the launch. “Those of us who saw the spectacular and unforgettable lift off this afternoon watched more than an act of history. We watched an act of heroism.”

Trump has made space a priority, and has sought to increase NASA’s budget significantly to fuel an attempt to return astronauts to the moon by 2024 under a dramatically expedited timeline that many think impossible. He has also reconstituted the National Space Council, chaired by Vice President Pence and pushed for the formation of the Space Force.

Trump bragged recently that his administration has “reinvigorated” NASA, which he wrongly said “was dead as a door nail, but now it’s very much alive.”

NASA began relying on the private sector for launches to the space station under President George W. Bush when it hired SpaceX and a company then called Orbital Sciences to fly cargo and supplies there. Under President Barack Obama, the space agency extended the program to hire two companies, SpaceX and Boeing, to fly its astronauts in what was a controversial decision, derided by many who thought the private sector should not be entrusted with the lives of NASA’s astronauts.

NASA administrator Jim Bridenstine, however, has gone out of his way to praise his predecessor, Charlie Bolden, who served as the head of the space agency under Obama.

“Charlie Bolden did just yeoman’s work in order to get this program off the ground, get if going,” he said in the days leading up to the launch. "And here we are, all these years later, having this success.”

He added that the program “demonstrates the success when you have continuity of purpose going from one administration to the next.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/techn...asa-ad-pulled/

Simu Liu
    @SimuLiu
    Today I learned that this dude thinks a 75-year-old man planted a blood packet on the back of his head, provoked a police officer, and then executed a perfect backward breakfall in which he hit his head JUST enough to burst the packet but not enough to be actually injured.

. and then I guess fooled the EMTs that were tending to him, and the hospital staff that took him in, who had like not noticed that the blood on his head was fake...

The Rubber DuckTrade mark sign
    @TheRubberDuck78
    Replying to
    @Inevitable_ET
    easy squeezy blood packets for ear

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

The two assaulting officers were suspended without pay and the entire Emergency Response team in Buffalo resigned in protest... of the suspension. Not a big shock since they walked over his body without helping him.

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm8 View Post
    The two assaulting officers were suspended without pay and the entire Emergency Response team in Buffalo resigned in protest... of the suspension. Not a big shock since they walked over his body without helping him.
    Important to note that they resigned from the Emergency Response Team, but not from the Buffalo Police Department.

BUFFALO, N.Y. (WIVB)–News 4 has learned the entire Buffalo Police Department Emergency Response Team has resigned from the team.

That’s a total of 57 officers.

We’re told this is a show of support for the officers who are suspended without pay after shoving 75-year-old Martin Gugino.

They are still employed, but no longer on ERT.

Mayor Byron Brown responded saying the city is aware of these resignations.

Here’s his full statement below:

“The City of Buffalo is aware of developments related to the work assignments of certain members of the Buffalo police force. At this time, we can confirm that contingency plans are in place to maintain police services and ensure public safety within our community. The Buffalo police continue to actively work with the New York State Police and other cooperating agencies.”

“If they resigned, I’m exceptionally disappointed by it because it indicates to me that they did not see anything wrong with the actions last night,” Poloncarz said after being asked about the ERT Team resigning:

https://www.wivb.com/news/local-news...nded-officers/

This from another article on Buffalonews.com - I can't reopen the website now - Police Unions need to be reigned in.

The union representing Buffalo police officers told its rank and file members Friday that the union would no longer pay for legal fees to defend police officers related to the protests which began Saturday in downtown Buffalo and have continued on and off, according to one source. The union is upset with the treatment of the two officers who were suspended Thursday.

"Our position is these officers were simply following orders from Deputy Police Commissioner Joseph Gramaglia to clear the square," said Buffalo Police Benevolent Association President John Evans. "It doesn't specify clear the square of men, 50 and under or 15 to 40. They were simply doing their job. I don't know how much contact was made. He did slip in my estimation. He fell backwards."
    Last edited by skatingfan; 06-05-2020 at 02:05 PM.

I can understand a snap reaction in the heat of the moment. It's the walking away from someone in obvious distress caused by your action that bothers me.

Madison Carter @madisonlcarter
    WOW. email sent from PBA President John Evans to members. “I can tell you they (@BPDAlerts) tried to f*%k over these guys like I have never seen in my 54 years.” @WKBW

https://twitter.com/madisonlcarter/s...86570566221825

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    I can understand a snap reaction in the heat of the moment. It's the walking away from someone in obvious distress caused by your action that bothers me.
    If you can't handle heated moments, become an accountant. But you can't be a cop.

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    If you can't handle heated moments, become an accountant. But you can't be a cop.
    Those guys in Minnesota who confroted a bunch of armed men carrying AR-15's sure handled themselves well no?

Those guys in Minnesota who confronted a bunch of armed men carrying AR-15's sure handled themselves well no?
    Oh, absolutely! Although I would say they were very rude in not offering the armed men tea and biscuits. Like any proper Downton Abby lady should do.

Hmm. Has a Bar Association somewhere threatened to, well, disbar him?

Barr seeks to dissociate himself from move on demonstrators outside Lafayette Square

By
    Matt Zapotosky
    June 5, 2020 at 10:34 p.m. EDT

Attorney General William P. Barr sought to dissociate himself Friday from police’s move earlier this week to push back a crowd of largely peaceful demonstrators using horses and gas, claiming that he did not give the “tactical” order for law enforcement on the scene to move in.

The Associated Press reported that Barr told the news organization that the move against the protesters — which has been widely condemned — was already in process when he was spotted at the scene near the White House early Monday evening conferring with law enforcement on the ground.

“I’m not involved in giving tactical commands like that,” Barr told the Associated Press. “I was frustrated and I was also worried that as the crowd grew, it was going to be harder and harder to do. So my attitude was get it done, but I didn’t say, ‘Go do it.’ ”

(Talk about drawing a fine line)

The Washington Post reported Tuesday that Barr personally ordered the crowd of protesters be pushed back as part of a plan hatched far earlier in the day. According to a Justice Department official, law enforcement authorities, including Barr, had decided to extend the security perimeter outside the White House after earlier demonstrations over the death of George Floyd at police hands in Minneapolis turned violent. When Barr came to the scene Monday afternoon, the official said, he was “surprised” to see that hadn’t been done.

“He conferred with them to check on the status and basically said: ‘This needs to be done. Get it done,’ ” the Justice Department official said. The official added that Barr “assumed that any resistance from the protesters of being moved would be met with typical crowd-control measures.”

The following day, White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany confirmed that account, noting that Barr “said that we needed to get going with moving that perimeter. He told the officers that out there.” McEnany did not immediately respond to an email Friday night.

At his own news conference Thursday, Barr said he had decided to extend the perimeter early Monday morning, and later, around 2 p.m., met with law enforcement agencies to lay out a plan for doing so. He said that officials could not get units in place soon enough to execute the plan before demonstrators arrived, but he did not address what happened in the minutes before police made their move.

A video of the incident shows Barr conferring with officials on the ground, and about 24 minutes later, police making an aggressive move on the crowd. The Associated Press reported that Barr “said it was a Park Police tactical commander — an official he never spoke to — who gave the order for the law enforcement agencies to move in and clear the protesters.”

“They told me they were about to make the announcement and I think they stretched the announcements over 20 minutes. During the time I was there, I would periodically hear announcements,” Barr told the Associated Press. “They had the Park Police mounted unit ready, so it was just a matter of execution. So, I didn’t just say to them, ‘Go.’ ”

Kerri Kupec, a Justice Department spokeswoman, claimed there was “no contradiction” between Barr’s and other officials’ comments — though her statement did not address McEnany and the Justice Department official saying specifically that Barr had told those on scene to take action.

“Earlier in the day, the Attorney General had approved and adopted a plan to move the perimeter in response to the violence that had occurred over the weekend. Subsequently, he checked in with federal law enforcement officials on the ground in Lafayette Square to see how it was proceeding,” Kupec said.

A Park Police spokesman did not immediately return an email message seeking comment.

At his Thursday news conference, Barr notably defended what happened soon after the demonstrators were cleared: President Trump walked across the now-empty area to St. John’s Episcopal Church, where he snapped a photo with Barr, Defense Secretary Mark T. Esper and others.

“I think it was entirely appropriate for him to do,” Barr said.

The photo op, coupled with the move against protesters, has drawn intense criticism. Former defense secretary Jim Mattis, for example, wrote for the Atlantic: “When I joined the military, some 50 years ago, I swore an oath to support and defend the Constitution. Never did I dream that troops taking that same oath would be ordered under any circumstance to violate the Constitutional rights of their fellow citizens — much less to provide a bizarre photo op for the elected commander-in-chief, with military leadership standing alongside.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...bbd_story.html

Hmm. Has a Bar Association somewhere threatened to, well, disbar him?
    Rats fleeing a sinking ship.

Page 1134 of 1139 FirstFirst ... 8841034108411091124113011311132113311341135113611371138 ... LastLast