Agree Agree:  1,593
Likes Likes:  1,630
Page 1112 of 1112 FirstFirst ... 862101210621087110211081109111011111112
Results 16,666 to 16,677 of 16677

Re: National, Regional and Local News

Keystone pipeline spills more than 350,000 gallons of oil in North Dakota
    BY OWEN DAUGHERTY - 10/31/19 01:51 PM EDT

The Keystone pipeline has spilled hundreds of thousands of gallons of crude oil into North Dakota this week, The New York Times reports.

The pipeline has leaked roughly 383,000 gallons of crude oil, impacting an estimated half-acre of wetland, according to state environmental regulators.

The leak has been contained, according to Karl Rockeman, the director of the state Department of Environmental Quality's division of water quality.

"It is one of the larger spills in the state,” he told the Times.

He added that there are no homes near the site of the spill and the wetland that was impacted is not a source of drinking water. Pipeline owner TC Energy shut down the pipeline after the leak was detected.

Rockeman did not indicate whether cleanup of the spill had begun yet.

In a statement to the Times, TC Energy said it did not know the cause of the leak and that an internal investigation is underway.

“We are establishing air quality, water and wildlife monitoring and will continue monitoring throughout the response,” the statement reads.

The Hill has reached out to TC Energy for comment.

An addition to the pipeline, which carries crude oil from Canada through seven states, was at the center of prolonged environmental protests.

The incident occurred along a part of the existing Keystone pipeline system, not the 1,179-mile addition known as the Keystone XL pipeline, Rockeman noted.

President Trump, just days into his term, opened the door for TC Energy to continue its construction of the pipeline extension after former President Obama denied it a permit in 2015.

This is not the first oil spill along the Keystone pipeline system; an incident in 2017 caused more than 407,000 gallons of crude oil to cover agricultural land in South Dakota in a rural area near the North Dakota border.

https://thehill.com/policy/energy-en...n-north-dakota
    There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.

― Frank Zappa

Keystone pipeline shut after spilling 1.4 million litres of oil in North Dakota
    Cause of rupture not yet disclosed
    The Associated Press Posted: Oct 31, 2019 6:47 PM ET | Last Updated: an hour ago

Authorities said Thursday that TC Energy's Keystone pipeline has leaked an estimated 1.4 million litres of oil in northeastern North Dakota since Wednesday, though the cause was still under investigation. (North Dakota Department of Environmental Quality/Taylor DeVries/AP)

An estimated 1.4 million litres of oil have spilled from TC Energy Corp.'s Keystone crude pipeline in North Dakota, state authorities said on Thursday, a major leak at a time of increased regulatory scrutiny of oil pipeline expansions.

The cause of the rupture has not yet been disclosed. But the initial estimate makes it one of the biggest onshore crude spills in the past decade and the largest for Keystone, according to U.S. Pipeline Hazardous Materials and Safety Administration (PHMSA) data.

Pipeline operator Calgary-based TC Energy has been seeking to expand its pipelines linking Western Canadian oil fields to U.S. refineries with its proposed Keystone XL project. The $6 billion US ($7.8 billion Cdn) project has faced regulatory and environmental hurdles despite backing by U.S. President Donald Trump.

A nearly 10-year legal fight between TC Energy, formerly called TransCanada, and environmental activists has delayed development of the line that would run from Alberta to the U.S. Gulf Coast. A Nebraska court in August affirmed an alternative route through the state, raising hopes the project might proceed and provide badly needed transport for Alberta's crude.

On Wednesday, TC Energy said its 93.8 million litre-per-day (lpd) Keystone pipeline system to the United States was shut after a drop in pressure was detected. It said there were no injuries and it was investigating the cause of the breach near Edinburg, N.D.

The company has not said when pipeline operations would restart, but told shippers that service to U.S. Midwest refiners would remain shut during the outage. The line could remain shut for at least a week, according to market sources on Thursday.

TC Energy has begun using backhoes and vacuum trucks to recover the spilled oil, said Brent Nelson, an emergency response manager for Walsh County who visited the site.

"At this time I would estimate 50 to 75 persons onsite working between two shifts.... They are focusing on oil recovery at this time and will then move to making repairs," he said.

The exact amount of oil released will not be available until recovery has been completed, TC Energy said in a statement on Thursday.

In 2017, a Keystone crude pipeline leak in rural South Dakota spilled nearly 1.04 million litres, PHMSA data showed. Earlier this year, Keystone was partially shut after leaking 6,800 litres of crude in Missouri.

The latest release also affected a wetland area, a statement from the North Dakota Department of Environmental Quality said.

"It [Keystone] went in during the 1990s. They've had a few spills ... more than you would hope to have on a line that's still fairly new," said Carl Weimer, executive director of the Pipeline Safety Trust in Bellingham, Wash., a non-profit promoting pipeline safety.

Keystone has leaked substantially more oil, and more often, in the U.S. than the company indicated to regulators in risk assessments before operations began in 2010, according to a Reuters review in 2017.

Marketlink pipeline disrupted

The Keystone outage also disrupted flows on the Marketlink pipeline, which has a capacity to flow 119 million lpd and is connected to Keystone, roiling oil prices at the delivery point for U.S. crude futures.

On Wednesday, TC Energy said on its website that the Marketlink system was not affected by the Keystone outage, which was shut from Hardisty, Alta., to Cushing and to Wood River-Patoka, Ill.

By Thursday, sources said the rates on the Marketlink were reduced, with one source saying the line was operating at about 30 million lpd.

However, market intelligence firm Genscape said on Thursday afternoon that Marketlink shut from reduced rates at approximately 47 million lpd earlier in the day.

"[This incident] underscores the structural issue plaguing the Canadian oil industry," said Michael Tran, managing director of global energy strategy at RBC Capital Markets.

"While it is too soon to draw comparisons to last year's historic pricing disconnect, the stranded barrels may raise similar fears if the outage proves longer than historical precedents," Tran said.

TC Energy said in a statement it would focus on cleaning up the spill and preparing to make Keystone pipeline repairs.

The Sierra Club said the latest spill was an example of why the Keystone XL should not be built.

"We don't yet know the extent of the damage from this latest tarsands spill, but what we do know is that this is not the first time this pipeline has spilled toxic tarsands, and it won't be the last."

Democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sanders took to Twitter on Thursday to condemn the pipeline and Trump for supporting the pipeline extension.

Sanders said he would shut down the existing pipeline if elected.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/key...kota-1.5343509
    There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.

― Frank Zappa

We knew it was just a matter of time before this happened.

Smugglers are sawing through new sections of Trump’s border wall

By Nick Miroff November 2, 2019 at 7:00 p.m. EDT

SAN DIEGO — Smuggling gangs in Mexico have repeatedly sawed through new sections of President Trump’s border wall in recent months by using commercially available power tools, opening gaps large enough for people and drug loads to pass through, according to U.S. agents and officials with knowledge of the damage.

The breaches have been made using a popular cordless household tool known as a reciprocating saw that retails at hardware stores for as little as $100. When fitted with specialized blades, the saws can slice through one of the barrier’s steel-and-concrete bollards in minutes, according to the agents, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly about the barrier-defeating techniques.

After cutting through the base of a single bollard, smugglers can push the steel out of the way, creating an adult-size gap. Because the bollards are so tall — and are attached only to a panel at the top — their length makes them easier to push aside once they have been cut and are left dangling, according to engineers consulted by The Washington Post.

The taxpayer-funded barrier — so far coming with a $10 billion price tag — was a central theme of Trump’s 2016 campaign, and he has made the project a physical symbol of his presidency, touting its construction progress in speeches, ads and tweets. Trump has increasingly boasted to crowds in recent weeks about the superlative properties of the barrier, calling it “virtually impenetrable” and likening the structure to a “Rolls-Royce” that border crossers cannot get over, under or through.

The smuggling crews have been using other techniques, such as building makeshift ladders to scale the barriers, especially in the popular smuggling areas in the San Diego area, according to nearly a dozen U.S. agents and current and former administration officials.

Mexican criminal organizations, which generate billions of dollars in smuggling profits, have enormous incentive to adapt their operations at the border to new obstacles and enforcement methods, officials say.

The U.S. government has not disclosed the cutting incidents and breaches, and it is unclear how many times they have occurred. U.S. Customs and Border Protection declined to provide information about the number of breaches, the location of the incidents and the process for repairing them. Matt Leas, a spokesman for the agency, declined to comment, and CBP has not yet fulfilled a Freedom of Information Act request seeking data about the breaches and repairs. The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, which oversees the private contractors building the barrier, referred inquires to CBP.

One senior administration official, who was not authorized to discuss the breaches but spoke on the condition of anonymity, said they amounted to “a few instances” and that the new barrier fencing had “significantly increased security and deterrence” along sections of the border in CBP’s San Diego and El Centro sectors in California.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...6ef_story.html

― Frank Zappa

Damn, who would have thought of that?! I mean, NOBODY ever thought about people using LADDERS to climb that wall! These mexican immigrants, I mean, sorry, criminals are evil geniuses! Ladders and saws!
    Next thing you know, they might use... I don't know. Ropes? Or acetylene torches?
    The mind reels...
    Missing winter...

Siraj Hashmi
    @SirajAHashmi

Holy sh*t. Wait til the end.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1190827744155832320

No idea who that is cackling in the background.

― Frank Zappa

I read an article a few days ago raking California over the coals for not burying its power lines and thus being indirectly responsible for this brutal fire season.

I've mentioned before that I worked in telecom for many years. We handled New York City and NY State. NY is notorious for not burying its power lines. One of the reasons NYS has a problem is that upstate the ground is frozen starting around mid October and stays frozen until the "spring thaw". Even in my neighborhood which is very hilly we had above ground powerlines until fairly recently. Could part of the problem in California be the fault lines there? I mean imagine digging underground and setting off "the big one".

Just a thought.

― Frank Zappa

Where I grew up in a Cleveland suburb, all the power lines were buried. Then I moved to Massachusetts and none of them are buried. Which means that every time there's a bad storm we're at risk of losing power, and sometimes do. Last year a tree fell at the bottom of our street knocking out our power for three days in the middle of winter. I guess it's just far more expensive to bury them.

There's a reason the state is called "Flori-duh"

Commissioners call New York Times ‘fake news,’ deny library funding for digital subscriptions
    ’I don’t agree with it, I don’t like ‘em,' said one Citrus County commissioner who said he agrees with President Donald Trump that the newspaper prints ‘fake news.'

The Citrus County commissioners who railed against a request by the local libraries to fund digital subscriptions to the New York Times. From left to right, their names are Jeff Kinnard, Ronald Kitchen, Jimmie Smith, Scott Carnahan and Brian Coleman. [Citrus County Board of Commissioners]

By Josh Fiallo
    Published Yesterday
    Updated Earlier today

The Citrus County Commission came to a consensus at the end of October: The county should not spend roughly $2,700 annually to buy digital subscriptions to the New York Times for the 70,000 library-card holders who reside in the county.

The commissioners were not shy in sharing why they thought it was a waste of money.

“Do we really need to subscribe to the New York Times?” one commissioner asked during the meeting.

“Why the heck would we spend money on something like that?” asked another.

Commissioner Scott Carnahan appeared the most passionate against approving the funding, alluding to political reasons as part of his decision.

“Fake news, I agree with President Trump,” Carnahan said. “I don’t want the New York Times in this county. I don’t agree with it, I don’t like 'em, it’s fake news and I’m voting no. They can take that money and do something else with it ... I support Donald Trump."

The item was placed on the commission’s agenda after the county’s library system requested funding for digital subscriptions to supplement residents’ access to media, which already included the print edition of the New York Times.

In the days after the Oct. 24 meeting, Citrus County residents took to social media to share their displeasure with the commissioners’ decision — or in some cases, to praise it.

Sandy Price, the advisory board chairman for the county’s libraries, told the Citrus County Chronicle she was disappointed with the commissioners’ decision to block the funding. She also said she was concerned with the reason behind the blocking, specifically citing Carnahan’s comments about the New York Times being ‘fake news.’

“Someone’s personal political view does not have a place in deciding what library resources are available for the entire county,” Price told the Chronicle on Monday. “Libraries have to ensure all points of view are represented.”

Despite all five commissioners railing against the request during the commission meeting, feedback that he received in the days after caused Commissioner Brian Coleman to loosen his stance on the request.

Coleman originally said of the funding request: “I support President Trump. I would say they put stuff in there that’s not necessarily verified."

Two days after the meeting, however, Coleman told The Chronicle he wanted to re-address the topic at a future meeting.

“Our decision should have been impartial, instead of having it become a personal thing," Coleman told the Chronicle.

https://www.tampabay.com/news/florid...subscriptions/

― Frank Zappa

Mexican slaughter victims were from NXIVM recruiting ground
    By Robert Gavin Updated 7:23 pm CST, Wednesday, November 6, 2019

ALBANY – The nine U.S. citizens slaughtered in an ambush Monday were from a Mormon community in northern Mexico where NXIVM recruited teenagers for a "girls school" to live in the Capital Region under the care of a high-ranking "slave" for Keith Raniere.

The Mormon community’s ties to the disgraced NXIVM leader's cult-like organization were revealed in May during the testimony of NXIVM defector Mark Vicente, a filmmaker based in Los Angeles who once lived in Knox Woods, the same Halfmoon townhouse complex as Raniere.

The nine women and children killed -- including eight-month-old twins -- were traveling in a mountainous area where the notorious Sinaloa drug cartel has been waging a turf war. The victims were related to the extended LeBaron family community in the state of Chihuahua.

Vicente’s testimony in May helped lead to the conviction of Raniere, 59, formerly of Halfmoon, on all charges of sex trafficking, forced labor and racketeering in his trial in U.S. District Court in Brooklyn. Raniere, known within NXIVM as “Vanguard,” faces the possibility of life in prison at his sentencing on Jan. 17 by Senior U.S. District Judge Nicholas Garaufis.

According to Moira Kim Penza, the lead federal prosecutor at Raniere's trial, Raniere created a “girls school” for Mexican teenagers, many of whom were recruited from within the LeBaron community to live in the Albany area under the care of a "first-line slave" for Raniere.

Raniere secretly operated a"master/slave" group known as DOS or “Dominus Obsequious Sororium," which translates from Latin as "Lord/Master of the Obedient Female Companions." Under the orders of Raniere, the "Grand Master," women in DOS were starved on 500-calorie-a-day diets and forced to provide "collateral" in the form of sexually explicit photos or false information about themselves and their family to ensure their loyalty. They also were required to have Raniere's initials branded onto their pelvic areas by a person using a cauterizing pen.

Penza, now a partner at the firm of Wilkinson Walsh + Eskovitz in Manhattan, told the Times Union that some of the girls attending the so-called school took courses at Jness, a purported women’s group in NXIVM. There, they were “exposed to Raniere’s pedophilic and misogynistic teachings, and, I believe, being groomed to have sex with Raniere,” the former prosecutor explained.

“I believe the girls from the LeBaron community were targeted specifically because, having been raised in a polygamist sect, they were more vulnerable to Raniere’s teachings on sexuality, including that it is natural for women to be monogamous and for men to have more than one partner—a philosophy that served Raniere’s own sexual preferences,” Penza said.

At a Jness meeting in Apropos, a former Halfmoon restaurant on Route 9, NXIVM president Nancy Salzman parroted Raniere's words that some children are "adult-like," mentally capable of experiencing sex with adults and "perfectly happy" doing so.

During the trial, Vicente testified that he spent eight years working on a 2016 documentary, Encender EL Cocorazon, which was based in LeBaron and chronicled efforts to stand up to violence in Mexico. The film included interviews with Julian LeBaron, whose brother, Benjamin LeBaron, the spiritual leader of the LeBaron community and an anti-violence activist, was murdered in 2009.

Julian LeBaron, a relative of the victims in the massacre, by Wednesday afternoon had received condolences from more than 300 people on his Facebook page.

Vicente testified that during the making of Encender EL Cocorazon, members of NXIVM's executive board, including Seagram's heiress Clare Bronfman, became angry at him because he was "minimizing" Raniere in the film and not recognizing the "greatness of Raniere."

"And I said, 'No, I'm not, this is the story I'm following that started,'" Vicente testified. "And (Clare Bronfman), at one point, really exploded at me saying, 'It's unbelievable that given everything you've been given by this man, you can't -- you know, you can't give him tribute.' And so that went on for years."

Bronfman, who pleaded guilty in April to conspiracy to conceal and harbor illegal immigrants for financial gain and fraudulent use of identification, will be sentenced Jan. 8. NXIVM president Nancy Salzman and other former top NXIVM officials, including her daughter, Lauren Salzman, actress Allison Mack and NXIVM bookkeeper Kathy Russell, also await sentencing.

On May 9, Assistant U.S. Attorney Mark Lesko asked Vicente about a separate program for girls from LeBaron that NXIVM set up known as Rainbow Cultural Gardens.

Vicente said the program was headed by NXIVM member Rosa Laura Junco, the daughter of a media mogul in Mexico. The program, built on Raniere's teachings, claimed to immerse children in nine languages at the same time.

Junco was identified at the trial as a “first-line” slave of Raniere in DOS, which means she answered directly to him.

Vicente also testified that India Oxenberg, the daughter of actress Catherine Oxenberg and who is now out of NXIVM and DOS, was put in charge of Delegates, a company in the Halfmoon area within NXIVM whose members were mostly younger people from within the LeBaron community.

"You call somebody, 'I need my laundry picked up, or I need to be picked up from the airport' kind of thing," Vicente said. "People would call her or text her and tell her what we needed and she would look at the workforce that was available and then assign them."

Vicente added: "A lot of the LeBaron girls were working for Delegates, and then some of the other younger members. They were -- they were, you know, younger people that didn't really have a career choice yet that were working for her."

Members of the LeBaron community, who are said to trace their origins to the 1950s, live about 70 miles south of the border town of Douglas, Ariz.

https://twitter.com/HoustonChron/sta...37495100030976

― Frank Zappa

Long Island Tech Firm Accused of Selling Chinese Equipment to US Military
    By Jonathan Dienst and Joe Valiquette

Federal agents raided a Long Island tech firm early Thursday and arrested its top executives amid concerns the company was selling Chinese-made equipment to the U.S. military while claiming it had been manufactured in the United States.

According to federal prosecutors, Aventura Technologies of Commack has been running the alleged scheme since 2006, selling equipment with "known cybersecurity vulnerability" to government and other customers.

The alleged fraud is raising security concerns about the materials that wound up being used by the U.S. Navy and other military branches. It comes amid a tense standoff between the U.S. and Chinese governments over whether Chinese equipment from state-linked enterprises should be in sensitive U.S. networks and facilities.

“As alleged, the defendants falsely claimed for years that their surveillance and security equipment was manufactured on Long Island, padding their pockets with money from lucrative contracts without regard for the risk to our country’s national security posed by secretly peddling made-in-China electronics with known cyber vulnerabilities,” United States Attorney Richard Donoghue said in a statement.

FBI, Customs, IRS and other agents with various inspector general offices were seen executing a search warrant at the headquarters of Aventura Thursday morning. Earlier in the day, six current and former executives and employees were arrested, including "de facto owner" Jack Cabasso and his wife, CEO Frances Cabasso. Authorities also seized the Cabassos' 70-foot yacht.

They are expected to appear in federal court in Brooklyn Thursday afternoon.

Some of the equipment sold was surveillance- and security-related technology for both United States government agencies and private customers.

The raid on Long Island involves dozens of investigators as containers of equipment need to be hauled away for examination. Trucks and other law enforcement vehicles could be seen as the search continues at Aventura.

A call to the company for comment was not immediately returned. The 20-year-old firm describes itself as a specialist in security technology, offering everything from X-ray scanners and turnstiles to license plate recognition software and system architecture services.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...564606271.html

― Frank Zappa

Josh Gerstein
    @joshgerstein

LATE NIGHT NEWS FROM THE COAST: Manafort's ex-son-in-law Jeff Yohai gets 9+ years for 'horrific' series of frauds, including scam 'sober living' homes. Sentence is about year-and-a-half longer than Manafort is
    serving

Yohai pleaded guilty to a brazen array of frauds, including renting out luxury homes without the permission of their owners, selling non-existent backstage passes for the Coachella music festival, and pawning band equipment that belonged to someone else.

Among those swindled by Yohai was the award-winning actor Dustin Hoffman and Guy Aroch, a prominent photographer, who both invested millions in real estate deals with Yohai.

Some of Yohai’s frauds were carried out while he was on bond after pleading guilty in a real estate fraud case nearly two years ago.

“Defendant has done tremendous damage to a huge number of victims,” Assistant U.S. Attorney Andrew Brown wrote in a September court filing. Yohai “has shown an almost unbelievable compulsion to defraud others, to the point that he could not stop even while awaiting this court’s judgment on him in the first case, which strongly suggests that he will continue on his criminal path despite having been blessed with so many advantages.”

“Worse, he seems to enjoy committing fraud and revels in cheating others out of their hard-earned money, as though he thought real work was only for patsies,” Brown added.

Yohai’s sentence is about a year-and-a-half longer than the term his former father-in-law ultimately received on the tax and fraud charges he was convicted on following a jury trial in Virginia last year, as well as two other charges he pleaded guilty to as part of a deal to avert a second trial in Washington on charges of being an unregistered foreign agent, money-laundering and obstruction of justice.

Manafort and Yohai were involved in several real estate projects involving efforts to build and flip luxury homes in Los Angeles. One of the bank fraud charges the longtime Republican lobbyist and political consultant was convicted on involved fraudulent information provided in an effort to secure a loan from the Banc of California on properties in which he invested with Yohai.

Manafort and Yohai initially asked the bank for $5 million to finance their plan. The bank wound up lending $1 million, which it later sued to get back.

Yohai was mentioned at the trial, but did not testify. He was not charged in the Virginia case.

While Yohai repeatedly sought to cooperate with special counsel Robert Mueller’s investigators, there’s no indication they seriously considered using him as a witness. He was not called by either side at Manafort’s trial.

Nevertheless, Yohai allegedly told men trying to sell a Los Angeles home that he’d be traveling to Washington soon to aid Mueller’s inquiry.

“During lunch, Yohai told [the men] that he ‘turned state’s evidence’ on his father-in-law, Paul Manafort,” FBI Special Agent Sherine Ebadi wrote in a court filing. “Yohai made several statements … that he had to go to ‘D.C.’ to meet with the Special Counsel’s Office or ‘downtown’ to meet with ‘the f.’”

“I know these statements to be false as I was the case agent for the Special Counsel’s case against Manafort,” Ebadi added.

Why the Mueller team didn’t exhibit much interest in Yohai despite his attempts to aid them is unclear, but he has a long history of drug abuse. Court records indicate that Yohai went into the costly Cottonwood drug rehab program in Arizona at the end of 2016.

Prosecutors contend that after leaving Cottonwood, Yohai scammed fellow addicts who paid to live at a “sober living” home he set up in L.A. Yohai allegedly took a $5,000 security deposit from one such man and charged another $35,000 a month “for ‘detox’ care which [Yohai] could not and did not provide.”

Yohai has admitted that he used cocaine and methamphetamine even while he was jailed earlier this year, after his bond was revoked when the second round of fraud charges emerged. Prosecutors say he got the drugs by arranging small payments from money his mother put into a jail account.

Some of his conduct in the various frauds was bizarre even for a flimflam artist. In one instance, he sought to pay off a real-estate related debt to a Los Angeles physician by offering the doctor a large bag of marijuana.

Yohai and Manafort’s daughter Jessica married in 2013. She filed for divorce in 2017 and last year formally changed her last name from Manafort to Bond — her mother’s maiden name.

https://www.politico.com/news/2019/1...ntenced-068279

― Frank Zappa

Page 1112 of 1112 FirstFirst ... 862101210621087110211081109111011111112