Agree Agree:  1,757
Likes Likes:  1,721
Page 1133 of 1139 FirstFirst ... 8831033108311081123112911301131113211331134113511361137 ... LastLast
Results 16,981 to 16,995 of 17075

Re: National, Regional and Local News

This goes here or under the Descent to Hades thread.
    One of the things that tell you you live in anything but a dictatorship is what happened yesterday. The thing is not that Tiny instructed Barr to clear the demonstration. The thing is that the security forces COMPLIED. Not a peep from anybody to tell Barr "we can't do that, it is against rules or laws". And then, next time, something a bit more cruel or forceful will be needed. And the forces will agree.
    A few days ago I saw Michael Moore being very brave and adamant about "we are more than they are. They have the guns but we are more than they are".
    He misses the simply point. Guns are there to defuse the argument of "we are more". The equation then becomes "who's the lucky one?".
    So if now armed forces, be them the National Guard or the Army of just the Police are willing to follow orders and act in this way, you have crossed a new line. And if no Republican stands up, or no General or police commander stands up and says "we will not follow this order", you are no longer a democracy.
    I saw all of this in Venezuela. You know where we ended.
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

I found it very interesting that Trudeau chose not to mention Trump in that answer. His answer was excellent. But I would have expected him to come back around to something at least mildly critical of the Trump reaction. Still, this was not an unwise choice.

Another thing: I don't see anything wrong with anyone (especially a leader whose words might be seen and quoted world-wide) taking the time to gather thoughts before answering such an important question. He looked very thoughtful the whole time, so it was obvious he was going to answer. When Trump is asked uncomfortable questions, he often just turns and walks away.

By the way, Canada, we'll be glad to take Justin Trudeau when you are done with him. He may not be perfect, but he would be such an improvement that his imperfections wouldn't be noticed.

GH

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    This goes here or under the Descent to Hades thread.
    One of the things that tell you you live in anything but a dictatorship is what happened yesterday. The thing is not that Tiny instructed Barr to clear the demonstration. The thing is that the security forces COMPLIED. Not a peep from anybody to tell Barr "we can't do that, it is against rules or laws". And then, next time, something a bit more cruel or forceful will be needed. And the forces will agree.
    A few days ago I saw Michael Moore being very brave and adamant about "we are more than they are. They have the guns but we are more than they are".
    He misses the simply point. Guns are there to defuse the argument of "we are more". The equation then becomes "who's the lucky one?".
    So if now armed forces, be them the National Guard or the Army of just the Police are willing to follow orders and act in this way, you have crossed a new line. And if no Republican stands up, or no General or police commander stands up and says "we will not follow this order", you are no longer a democracy.
    I saw all of this in Venezuela. You know where we ended.
    It's 8:37p Eastern Time

“No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.” – Lily Tomlin.

Eric Garland @ericgarland
    ERRATA: *Retired* Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff sharply rebukes Trump's rhetoric on military action against the public.

(Still must read.)

I Cannot Remain Silent
    Our fellow citizens are not the enemy, and must never become so.

Mike Mullen
    Seventeenth chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff

It sickened me yesterday to see security personnel—including members of the National Guard—forcibly and violently clear a path through Lafayette Square to accommodate the president's visit outside St. John's Church. I have to date been reticent to speak out on issues surrounding President Trump's leadership, but we are at an inflection point, and the events of the past few weeks have made it impossible to remain silent.

Whatever Trump's goal in conducting his visit, he laid bare his disdain for the rights of peaceful protest in this country, gave succor to the leaders of other countries who take comfort in our domestic strife, and risked further politicizing the men and women of our armed forces.

There was little good in the stunt.

While no one should ever condone the violence, vandalism, and looting that has exploded across our city streets, neither should anyone lose sight of the larger and deeper concerns about institutional racism that have ignited this rage.

As a white man, I cannot claim perfect understanding of the fear and anger that African Americans feel today. But as someone who has been around for a while, I know enough—and I’ve seen enough—to understand that those feelings are real and that they are all too painfully founded.

We must, as citizens, address head-on the issue of police brutality and sustained injustices against the African American community. We must, as citizens, support and defend the right—indeed, the solemn obligation—to peacefully assemble and to be heard. These are not mutually exclusive pursuits.

And neither of these pursuits will be made easier or safer by an overly aggressive use of our military, active duty or National Guard. The United States has a long and, to be fair, sometimes troubled history of using the armed forces to enforce domestic laws. The issue for us today is not whether this authority exists, but whether it will be wisely administered.

I remain confident in the professionalism of our men and women in uniform. They will serve with skill and with compassion. They will obey lawful orders. But I am less confident in the soundness of the orders they will be given by this commander in chief, and I am not convinced that the conditions on our streets, as bad as they are, have risen to the level that justifies a heavy reliance on military troops. Certainly, we have not crossed the threshold that would make it appropriate to invoke the provisions of the Insurrection Act.

Furthermore, I am deeply worried that as they execute their orders, the members of our military will be co-opted for political purposes.

Even in the midst of the carnage we are witnessing, we must endeavor to see American cities and towns as our homes and our neighborhoods. They are not “battle spaces” to be dominated, and must never become so.

We must ensure that African Americans—indeed, all Americans—are given the same rights under the Constitution, the same justice under the law, and the same consideration we give to members of our own family. Our fellow citizens are not the enemy, and must never become so.

Too many foreign and domestic policy choices have become militarized; too many military missions have become politicized.

This is not the time for stunts. This is the time for leadership.

b-boy bouiebaisse
    @jbouie
    truly shocked that a show of force backfired and led to even more defiance, who could have predicted

Eli Clifton
    @EliClifton

This photo by @MarthaRaddatz at the Lincoln Memorial is deeply disturbing.

Jesse Rodriguez @JesseRodriguez

@NBCNews
    EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: Defense Secretary Esper on Trump church photo-op: ‘I didn’t know where I was going’
    @ckubeNBC @carolelee

In an exclusive interview, Esper also said he had “no idea” about the plan to use force to disperse protesters ahead of Trump’s staged visit to St. John’s Church.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/whi...r-gen-n1222391

Hope Hicks "hatched" plan for Trump photo-op where protesters were dispersed with tear gas: report
    Hicks recently returned to work at the White House under Trump's son-in-law Jared Kushner after a stint at Fox

IGOR DERYSH
    JUNE 2, 2020 9:56PM (UTC)

White House adviser Hope Hicks was behind President Donald Trump's church photo-op on Monday, where peaceful protesters were dispersed with tear gas, according to The New York Times.

Trump, who was reportedly "embarrassed" and "upset" by news reports that he had hunkered down in the White House bunker as protests over police violence raged outside, walked over to St. John's Church on Monday to hold up a bible for cameras. Police backed by the National Guard unleashed tear gas, rubber bullets and flash-bang shells on peaceful protesters to clear the path for the president before the city's curfew went into place.

Hicks "hatched" the plan with others at the White House to have Trump walk over to the church, which had been damaged by fires set by protesters, according to The Times.

Attorney General William Barr personally ordered law enforcement officials to clear the park of protesters, a Justice Department official told The Washington Post.

Hicks, who served as Trump's closest campaign aide and later as White House communications director before a stint as a public relations executive at Fox, recently returned to work at the White House under Trump's son-in-law Jared Kushner.

The stunt came after Hicks "scolded" the president over his tweet saying, "When the looting starts, the shooting starts," according to Axios.

Monday's photo-op did little to ease frustration over the president's response, though Trump's aides reportedly celebrated the incident.

"I've never been more ashamed," one senior White House official told Axios. "I'm really honestly disgusted. I'm sick to my stomach, and they're all celebrating it. They're very very proud of themselves."

Washington Episcopalian Bishop Mariann Budde, who oversees the church, said she was "deeply disappointed that [Trump] didn't come to church to pray, he didn't come to church to offer condolences to those who were grieving, he didn't come to commit to healing our nation — all the things that we would expect and long for from the highest leader in the land."

"Consider the context," Budde told NBC News. "After making a highly charged, emotional speech to the nation where he threatened military force, his officials cleared peaceful protests with tear gas and horses and walked on to the courtyard of St. John's Church and held up a Bible as if it were a prop or an extension of his military and authoritarian position, and stood in front of our building as if it were a backdrop for his agenda."

Washington Mayor Muriel Bowser called the stunt "shameful."

"I imposed a curfew at 7pm. A full 25 minutes before the curfew & [without] provocation, federal police used munitions on peaceful protestors in front of the White House, an act that will make the job of @DCPoliceDept officers more difficult," she tweeted.

Arlington police were ordered to "immediately leave DC" after the stunt because the "mutual aid agreement" with local authorities had been "abused to endanger their and others' safety for a photo-op," County County Board Member Libby Garvey said

Democratic leaders condemned Monday's actions, criticizing Trump for "fanning of the flames of discord, bigotry and violence" and calling the church stunt "cowardly, weak and dangerous."

"When peaceful protesters dispersed in order for a president — a president — from the doorstep of the people's house — the White House — using tear gas and flash grenades, in order to stage a photo op — a photo op — at one of the most historic churches in the country, or at least Washington, D.C., we can be forgiven for believing that the president is more interested in power than in principle," presumptive Democratic nominee Joe Biden said Tuesday. "I won't traffic in fear and division. I won't fan the flames of hate. I'll seek to heal the racial wounds that have long plagued this country — not use them for political gain."

IGOR DERYSH
    Igor Derysh is a staff writer at Salon. His work has also appeared in the Los Angeles Times, Chicago Tribune, Boston Herald and Baltimore Sun.

https://www.salon.com/2020/06/02/hop...ar-gas-report/

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    [B]...

"I've never been more ashamed," one senior White House official told Axios. "I'm really honestly disgusted. I'm sick to my stomach, and they're all celebrating it. They're very very proud of themselves."

https://www.salon.com/2020/06/02/hop...ar-gas-report/
    "I will, however, remain working in the White House, following President Tiny's orders. I will keep my job because, you know, there is no way I can find another job anywhere, being associated with this administration. I have never been so ashamed in my life, probably until tomorrow, when something else will pop up that would make Satan himself beg for forgiveness but until then and until the end of this administration I will remain at the service of the president because once you have your spine removed it is kind of difficult to stand tall and do something that remotely resembles a moral position. I just want to cash my pension once I get to my retirement age and then I will live the rest of my life in shame and sorrow, but financially secure and knowing that at that really important time in my life when I could have made a stand and act honorably, I didn't.
    Now, if you will excuse me, I have work to do. The President wants to know which is the closest mosque to the WH. I will post you".

Somebody (we won't know if it is the same person I mocked above) has resigned in disgust.
    Now, please. Go to every single talk show you can get into (I would suppose that should not be a problem). Spill everything out. As a matter of fact, throw up. Let us know what really goes on inside that mad house (not that we don't know).

Jeff Seldin
    @jseldinn Earlier, Defense Secretary @EsperDoD told reporters, "The option to use active duty forces in a law enforcement role should only be used as a matter of last resort, and only in the most urgent and dire of situations. We are not in one of those situations now"

This comes as @AP reports all active duty military units brought to Washington to help with the protests are being sent home
    https://twitter.com/AP/status/1268235924787335171?s=20

The Joint Staff Flag of United States
    @thejointstaff
    · 14m
    Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff #GenMilley:

"We all committed our lives to the idea that is America--We will stay true to that oath and the American people."

Read the Chairman's full message to the Joint Force: https://go.usa.gov/xwDJ2

@DeptofDefense

Garrett Haake
    @GarrettHaake
    · 40m
    Back outside the White House. Today the perimeter has been pushed back another half block. Federal law enforcement of some kind, but they won’t identify themselves, and all insignias and name plates have been removed.

Susan Hennessey @Susan_Hennessey

The policy question shouldn't even be a close one: Law enforcement officers should always be willing to identify themselves and their agency and show a badge in all cases in which doing so would not pose a threat to their safety or the integrity of an investigation.

But having spent some time this morning trying to run down the regulations regarding obligations to identify oneself as law enforcement, I wasn't able to find many. The actual case law tends to focus on searches, seizures, and the interaction with qualified immunity.

There aren't federal rules that I could identify that require federal officers to identify themselves while just standing there. The picture gets more complicated as they actually exercise various police powers, such as using force, performing searches, or making arrests.

Steven Portnoy @stevenportnoy

Who are these men taking their orders from?
    Which elected or appointed official is accountable for their actions?
    Under what statutory authority are they operating? twitter.com/GarrettHaake/s…
    Susan Hennessey @Susan_Hennessey
    This is key. The authority they operating under dictates what they are allowed to lawfully do. If DOJ is being intentionally vague in order to intimidate citizens, that is abusive.

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

They do this a lot in Russia during protests (remove name plates and any insignia indicating their locality if a policy force) but at least you know what BRANCH of the military they are, this is above and beyond. One could question if they are actually authorized by the government at all...

Link to the discussion that Obama just spoke to.
    https://www.obama.org/anguish-and-ac...039.1591219658

Protesters’ breach of temporary fences near White House complex prompted Secret Service to move Trump to secure bunker

By
    Carol D. Leonnig
    June 3, 2020 at 5:25 p.m. EDT

President Trump was rushed to a secure bunker in the White House on Friday evening after a group of protesters hopped over temporary barricades set up near the Treasury Department grounds, according to arrest records and people familiar with the incident.

The security move came after multiple people crossed over fences that had been erected to create a larger barrier around the White House complex around 7 p.m.

Secret Service officers detained at least four protesters, who were charged with unlawful entry at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, according to arrest records. The incident took place near the border between the White House lawn and Treasury Department, about 350 feet from the East Wing, and close to a Treasury fence line that has been at the center of past security failures.

The breach occurred around the time that the Secret Service alert level on the White House complex was elevated from “yellow” to “red,” according to a law enforcement official, who, like others, spoke on the condition of anonymity to describe internal safety maneuvers. Officials familiar with the incident told colleagues that the president, the first lady and their son Barron were rushed to the bunker because of the episode, according to two people familiar with their accounts.

The events contradict the president’s claim Wednesday that he went to the bunker simply to inspect the secure location.

Two of the people who were arrested said they were stunned by the idea that their actions prompted the abrupt relocation of the president.

“I didn’t even realize what I did was illegal,” said one of the protesters, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the pending charges. “I stepped over a barricade. I never got onto the Treasury grounds or White House grounds.”

The White House and Secret Service declined to comment on what precipitated Trump’s move to the bunker, part of a classified security system for safeguarding the president.

“The White House does not comment on security protocols and decisions,” spokesman Judd Deere said in an emailed statement.

“For operational security reasons, the U.S. Secret Service does not discuss our protectees or our protective means and methods relative to all U.S. Secret Service protected facilities inclusive of the White House,” an agency spokesperson said.

Trump, who has been angered by reports that he was moved to the secure underground facility and the impression that he was in hiding, on Wednesday disputed that he was rushed to safety.

“It was a false report. I wasn’t down,” Trump told Fox Radio host Brian Kilmeade. “I went down during the day, and I was there for a tiny, little short period of time, and it was much more for an inspection. There was no problem during the day.”

Pressed by Kilmeade on whether Trump was “inspecting” the bunker because the Secret Service expressed concern for his safety, the president insisted that wasn’t the case.

“Nope, they didn’t tell me that at all,” Trump said. “They said it would be a good time to go down, take a look, because maybe some time you’re going to need it.”

Former Secret Service agents said Trump’s explanation did not make sense, noting that all presidents and their families are routinely given a security briefing in their first days in office. They are briefed on steps the Secret Service will take in an emergency and also shown secure locations where they will be taken in case of danger.

Relocation to the underground bunker is part of various security steps the Secret Service may use in the case of potential threats to the president’s safety.

The incursion by protesters near the White House complex Friday came as swelling demonstrations filled the streets of downtown Washington in response to the killing of George Floyd, with many people rushing barricades and throwing bottles. It was the first night of protests in the District, and the large crowd swarming so close to the White House took Secret Service officers aback, officials said.

Lone protesters have sometimes tried to make a statement by jumping the fence, but not since the civil unrest of the 1960s have groups come directly at the White House grounds in such numbers.

Trump’s frustration with the impression that he was in hiding amid the tumult contributed to his decision Monday to walk from the White House to nearby St. John’s Episcopal Church.

Less than 30 minutes before his walk, federal agents rushed at protesters in Lafayette Square and an adjoining street with shields and batons, tossing gas canisters and pepper spray pellets into the crowd, causing a chaotic scurry.

The arrests Friday took place near a Treasury Department fence line that borders the White House grounds and has figured in key security failures in the past, including a March 2017 incident when Trump was at home and was also rushed to the bunker for a short period.

In that incident, Jonathan Tuan-Anh Tran, a California man carrying two cans of Mace and a letter to Trump about “Russian hackers,” hopped the Treasury fence line. Due to outdated and failing sensors and alarms, he was able to reach the east side of the mansion and attempted to open doors there. Tran remained on the property for 17 minutes before he was spotted behind a pillar and apprehended near the South Portico entrance.

The entire White House fence line was recommended for replacement after a 2014 fence-jumper incident, but the portion around Treasury had been delayed by Secret Service budget constraints.

Alice Crites, John Wagner, Felicia Sonmez and Peter Hermann contributed to this report.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...482_story.html

Page 1133 of 1139 FirstFirst ... 8831033108311081123112911301131113211331134113511361137 ... LastLast