Agree Agree:  1,805
Likes Likes:  1,772
Page 1151 of 1151 FirstFirst ... 901105111011126114111471148114911501151
Results 17,251 to 17,256 of 17256

Re: National, Regional and Local News

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post
    I thought in the US it was because of the Gulf Stream and the trade winds that go east to west. I know for sure the Atlantic Ocean is much warmer than the Pacific and the warm waters are like fuel to hurricanes, so even if one forms in the Pacific, it doesn't tend to pack the same kind of punch and loses strength quicker most timesbecause it doesn't get as much American press. .
    fixed
    My Suicide Draw Pool avatar

Those in the Pacific are called typhoons, possibly less frequent but just as deadly. In Indian ocean they're called cyclones, mostly striking the East coast of India and sometimes Arabian peninsula and the horn of Africa. Southern hemisphere seems not to have them neither in the Atlantic nor Indian oceans.
    Roger forever

Quote Originally Posted by dave g View Post
    fixed
    I have no idea what the point of that was. My answer was US specific.

@suliso, they still call many of the ones watched for the US hurricanes, even if they may technically be cyclones. There have been named hurricanes in recent years that have hit or just pass by Hawaii for instance. And unfortunately, a couple of disastrous ones in the last 10 years that have hit Cabos San Lucas hard.

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post
    I have no idea what the point of that was. My answer was US specific.

@suliso, they still call many of the ones watched for the US hurricanes, even if they may technically be cyclones. There have been named hurricanes in recent years that have hit or just pass by Hawaii for instance. And unfortunately, a couple of disastrous ones in the last 10 years that have hit Cabos San Lucas hard.
    The point was that the western Pacific will get hurricanes (typhoons) that are as strong as the ones that we get in the US, but we don't usually hear very much about them, because they are not affecting the US.
    Last edited by dave g; Today at 10:33 AM.
    My Suicide Draw Pool avatar

Quote Originally Posted by suliso View Post
    Those in the Pacific are called typhoons, possibly less frequent but just as deadly. In Indian ocean they're called cyclones, mostly striking the East coast of India and sometimes Arabian peninsula and the horn of Africa. Southern hemisphere seems not to have them neither in the Atlantic nor Indian oceans.
    There some there occasionally. I seem to remember Mozambique getting hit by a cyclone a couple of times - there just isn't much news about it here.
    "And for my next fearless prediction..."

205018.png

Looking stronger ...
    Last edited by ptmcmahon; Today at 02:14 PM.

Page 1151 of 1151 FirstFirst ... 901105111011126114111471148114911501151