Page 5 of 1072 FirstFirst 123456789153055105255 ... LastLast
    Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

9 Dragons Hexa Champion, Magic Towers Solitaire Champion Scotty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: National, Regional and Local News

Quote Originally Posted by oohsalmon View Post
    They should build a bridge from L.A. to Hawaii!

And a monorail covering every inch of Omaha!

And a huge seawall to protect Manhattan from rising ocean levels!
    I've always said salmon is going to end up in politics ...

November 25, 2008
    Iraq Ally Lists Were Altered, Study Shows

By THOM SHANKER
    WASHINGTON — Before invading Iraq in 2003, the Bush administration mounted a significant diplomatic offensive to rally international support, and officials at the White House, Pentagon and State Department went to great lengths to trumpet those nations that joined what they termed “the coalition of the willing.”

But historians researching those early alliance-building efforts say they are troubled by what seem to be deletions of and alterations to the early official lists of nations that supported the war effort. The lists were posted on the White House Web site.

While administration officials acknowledged that the number of nations supporting the war changed over time, academic researchers say three official lists appear to have been changed, yet retained their original release date, making them appear to be unaltered originals.

Two other White House lists appear to have been taken off the Web site, according to a study of the documents by Scott L. Althaus and Kalev H. Leetaru of the Cline Center for Democracy at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.

There were 45 coalition members on the eve of the Iraq invasion, but subsequent deletions of the earlier lists and revisions to critical documents made it seem that there were 49, the researchers found.

Two other countries that appeared on early lists of alliance partners were removed, but those updated rosters carried the original date and no mention that they had been changed.

White House officials confirmed Monday that the names of two countries were removed from the list of coalition partners initially listed on the Web pages, an action taken at the request of those nations. Costa Rica and Angola were dropped, but Angola subsequently reappeared.

In recent years, the White House has adopted a policy that requires its official Web site to note when such changes are made to an online item, a spokesman said Monday.

But that appears not to have been in effect for posts released early in the war effort.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/25/wa...ents.html?_r=1
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Asteroids Champion, 123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Putt it in Golf Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, mahjong Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Yahtzee Champion, Slingo Para-Dice Champion, Quick Words Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
    I've always said salmon is going to end up in politics ...
    Great. Now he'll probably end up stalking Janet Reno.

The shameless criminal are rewriting history as we speak.

Since we were talking about trains, this is how it looks like from a window of Shanghai maglev going at 270 miles/hour. If I ever get there I will definitely try it!!!

Shangai Maglev
    Roger forever

Quote Originally Posted by dryrunguy View Post
    Great. Now he'll probably end up stalking Janet Reno.
    LOL, no. More likely Ruth Bader Ginsburg.
    It's hard out here for a Zuz.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Asteroids Champion, 123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Putt it in Golf Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, mahjong Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Yahtzee Champion, Slingo Para-Dice Champion, Quick Words Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

LOL, no. More likely Ruth Bader Ginsburg.
    If that's the case, ya better hurry, salmon!

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm8 View Post
    It's called "high-speed," though.

Specter and Kerry wouldn't propose a plan for Cali if there were opportunities on the East Coast.

And if Acela were to be made faster, it wouldn't create jobs, you'd just need to buy better trains (I don't know where they're made, but the trains are currently based on French TGV trains).
    Trains are the bomb, but Acela is a joke. Why anyone would pay an extra $100 to get from DC to NYC 20 minutes faster is beyond me. But I always thought that the problem with Acela was that the tracks aren't there: the ones Amtrak uses now aren't built for high-speed trains and also are not actually owned by Amtrak, so anytime a CSX freight train wants to pass, Amtrak has to pull over and let them. It seems to me that if there was commitment to making Acela an actual high-speed train, it would create jobs because you'd have to build a whole new track line.

Of course, the problem of where to put that track line is another thing entirely... And is probably why train lines are being proposed for the west coast. There's just not very much room between DC and Boston to build anything else, and what real estate there is there's no money to buy.
    Last edited by pamchenko; 11-25-2008 at 12:36 PM.
    B*tch, please

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by pamchenko View Post
    Trains are the bomb, but Acela is a joke. Why anyone would pay an extra $100 to get from DC to NYC 20 minutes faster is beyond me. But I always thought that the problem with Acela was that the tracks aren't there: the ones Amtrak uses now aren't built for high-speed trains and also are not actually owned by Amtrak, so anytime a CSX freight train wants to pass, Amtrak has to pull over and let them. It seems to me that if there was commitment to making Acela an actual high-speed train, it would create jobs because you'd have to build a whole new track line.

Of course, the problem of where to put that track line is another thing entirely... And is probably why train lines are being proposed for the west coast. There's just not very much room between DC and Boston to build anything else, and what real estate there is there's no money to buy.
    You're probably right. I've never had the experience of taking Acela, precisely because it's only a little bit faster than the cheap train. Which is not that cheap.

Could they replace the current tracks? New ones would probably be incompatible with freight trains, right?

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm8 View Post
    You're probably right. I've never had the experience of taking Acela, precisely because it's only a little bit faster than the cheap train. Which is not that cheap.
    4 min difference between New York and Philadelphia.

I would have never taken it either if I had to pay myself...
    Last edited by suliso; 11-25-2008 at 01:36 PM.
    Roger forever

Elliot Spitzer sent Kristen to DC on a Metroliner. If it's good enough for her, it's good enough for me .
    It's hard out here for a Zuz.

Uh, okay.

Just how checked out are President and Mrs. Bush? The New York Post reports that they sent out invitations to Jewish leaders for a Hanukkah reception at the White House with a big Christmas tree pictured on the front.

The message reads that the couple "requests the pleasure of your company at a Hanukkah reception," written beneath an image of a Clydesdale horse hauling a Christmas fir along the snow-dappled drive to 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.
    ... For her part, the First Lady's spokesperson apologized on Laura Bush's behalf...
    http://dcist.com/2008/11/26/bushes_s..._treehannu.php
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Ruth Bader Ginsburg.
    Woof! Woof! Grrrrr.
    Oh Grigor. You silly man.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    Dumb.

As.

Rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by dryrunguy View Post
    Dumb.

As.

Rocks.
    Offense taken!