Page 1 of 626 12345112651101251 ... LastLast

National, Regional and Local News

I wasn't sure where to put this tragic story. It's been buried due to the Jennifer Hudson tragedy so I thought I'd start a thread for those stores that while local, regional or national speak to trends in societies here in the States or abroad.

Boy, 8, accidentally kills self at gun show

Mass. child was firing an Uzi submachine gun under adult supervision at fair

WESTFIELD, Mass. - An 8-year-old boy died after accidentally shooting himself in the head while firing an Uzi submachine gun under adult supervision at a gun fair.The boy lost control of the weapon while firing it Sunday at the Machine Gun Shoot and Firearms Expo at the Westfield Sportsman’s Club, police Lt. Lawrence Vallierpratte said.
    Police said the boy, Christopher Bizilj of Ashford, Conn., was with a certified instructor and called the death a “self-inflicted accidental shooting.”

“The weapon was loaded and ready to fire,” police Lt. Hipolito Nunez said. “The 8-year-old victim had the Uzi and as he was firing the weapon, the front end of the weapon went up with the backfire and he ended up receiving a round in his head.”

Christopher died at Baystate Medical Center.

The boy’s father and older brother were also there at the time, a gun club member and school official said. Francis Mitchell, a longtime member and trustee of the club, said he was told the boy’s father was supporting his son from behind when the shooting happened.

“My reaction is shock,” said Mitchell, who lives down the street from the club. “In the last five years, there has never been a problem or a bad accident. I’ve been sick all night.”

The father, Charles Bizilj, is the medical director of emergency medicine at Johnson Memorial Hospital, in Stafford Springs, Conn.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27399337/
    Oh heaven...I wake with good intentions but the day it always lasts too long... Emeli Sande

Re: National, Regional and Local News

Not for nothing but wth business does an eight year old have handling a loaded machine gun?! What does that say about the adults in this situation?

Very sad.
    Oh heaven...I wake with good intentions but the day it always lasts too long... Emeli Sande

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    Not for nothing but wth business does an eight year old have handling a loaded machine gun?! What does that say about the adults in this situation?

Very sad.
    Not only that, but look at the brain-dead father:
    the boy’s father was supporting his son from behind when the shooting happened.
    Last edited by Drop-shot; 10-27-2008 at 01:58 PM.

Tour Champion

Very sad.
    what buisiness does anyone have holding a fully automatic weapon?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by amenssen View Post
    what buisiness does anyone have holding a fully automatic weapon?
    Say it again, my friend!

Foxy
    A. D. A. M. MEMBER FOR LIFE
    --------------------------------------------------
    I am not ashamed of Gospel of Jesus Christ!

If It Doesn't Matter What You Believe, Then It Doesn't Matter If You Believe At All...I Choose To Believe In My GOD

Guns don't kill people, people kill people.

Edited to add: For those who don't live in the USA, the gun lobbies in this country use this convoluted logic to thwart any and all gun control legislation.
    Last edited by Miles; 10-27-2008 at 03:43 PM.

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Yahtzee Champion, Deuces Wild Champion Kirkus's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I know this is going to turn into a "Gun Control" thread.

It's a tragic story, to be sure. I don't know, I'm thinking maybe child-neglect, at the very least. Involuntary manslaughter at best. Trooper Wooten's in trouble for using a taser on a 6-year old. This boys father is supporting him from behind and he's begin supervised by a certified instructor. I'd say the boy's father and instructor are certified morons. These are children for God's sake.

Tragic.
    Oh Grigor. You silly man.

The thing is I have nothing against people who hunt to put food on their table. As I've said elsewhere my uncle used to hunt during deer season to help feed his family. The thing is unless the animals are shooting back why are automatic weapons allowed to be purchased at gun shows? You don't need an Uzi to hunt.

Will they be charged? Probably not. They should be charged with neglect or child abuse at least.

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

A freaking Uzi? Is it just me, or was an Uzi meant to be given to trained soldiers in Israel and not 8-year-olds in Massachussetts? How was this even legal?

Grand Slam Champion missinandre's Avatar

OMG....I cannot fathom this!!! I have three kids and all I can think of is

WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE???

What a tragic stupid irresponsible waste of life!!!

And still....I bet NO ONE involved in this situation learns a lesson and further...bet no one gets charged with this child's death
    ROGER / RAFA FINAL 2010 US OPEN!!!!!

Follow up to the death of the boy in Massachusetts

Questions raised after boy's gun show death Associated Press/AP OnlineBy SUSAN HAIGH

WESTFIELD, Mass. - With an instructor watching, an 8-year-old boy at a gun fair aimed an Uzi at a pumpkin and pulled the trigger as his dad reached for a camera.

It was his first time shooting a fully automatic machine gun, and the recoil of the weapon was too much for him. He lost control and fatally shot himself in the head.

Now gun safety experts - and some gun enthusiasts at the club where the shooting happened - are wondering why such a young child was allowed to fire a weapon used in war. Local, state and federal authorities are also investigating whether everyone involved had proper licenses or if anyone committed a criminal act.

"It's easy to lose control of a weapon like that ... they are used on a battleground for a very good reason," said Jerry Belair, a spokesman for Stop Handgun Violence, based in Newton, Mass. "It's to shoot as many times as you possibly can without having to reload at an enemy that's approaching. It's not a toy. It's not something to play with."

Police said Christopher Bizilj (Bah-SEAL) of Ashford, Conn., was pronounced dead at Baystate Medical Center in Springfield, Mass., on Sunday afternoon, shortly after firing a 9mm micro Uzi submachine gun at the Machine Gun Shoot and Firearms Expo at the Westfield Sportsman's Club, co-sponsored by C.O.P. Firearms & Training.
    (...)
    Massachusetts requires licenses to own firearms, and the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives issues different licenses to possess machine guns.
    The machine gun shoot drew hundreds of people from as far away as Maine and Virginia. An advertisement said it would include machine gun demonstrations and rentals and free handgun lessons.
    "It's all legal & fun - No permits or licenses required!!!!" reads the ad, posted on the club's Web site.
    "You will be accompanied to the firing line with a Certified Instructor to guide you. But You Are In Control - "FULL AUTO ROCK & ROLL," the ad said.

http://www.verizon.net/newsroom/port...rticle=1367379

Police: Immigrant Killed By Teens Because of Race

Seven high school students looking "to beat up some Mexicans" attacked an immigrant from Ecuador on a street, with one of them fatally plunging a knife into the man's chest during the brawl, police said.
    The killing set off a tirade of reactions from supporters of Hispanic immigrants and led a prosecutor to compare the episode to a lynching. The attack was officially labeled a hate crime by Suffolk County authorities, and some suggested that advocates of recent crackdowns on illegal immigration fomented an atmosphere of intolerance that contributed to the attack.
    "Today, some of the highest leaders of our community also have blood on their hands," said the Rev. Alan Ramirez, a longtime advocate for Hispanic day laborers and Latino immigrants. "I have said for a long time that it would only take time for something like this to happen."
    The dead man was identified as Marcello Lucero, a 37-year old immigrant who worked at a dry cleaners shop in Riverhead. A friend of the victim said Lucero moved to the United States 16 years ago.
    The teenagers -- one junior and six seniors at Patchogue-Medford High School -- were arraigned Monday on gang assault charges and entered not guilty pleas. The teen believed to be the one wielding the knife, 17-year-old Jeffrey Conroy, was also charged with manslaughter as a hate crime. His attorney did not immediately return a telephone call seeking comment.
    Police and prosecutors say the teens -- six of them white and one Hispanic -- were hanging out in a park on Saturday night around midnight when someone suggested they go "beat up some Mexicans." The group spotted Lucero and another man near the Patchogue train station and "like a lynch mob, (Conroy) and his friends got out of their car and surrounded Mr. Lucero and his friend," Assistant District Attorney Nancy Clifford said at Conroy's arraignment.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Police-Immigrant-Killed-Because-Of-Race-.html

Suffolk County on New York's Long Island has the highest incidence of hate crimes in New York State.

Grand Slam Champion missinandre's Avatar

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Police-Immigrant-Killed-Because-Of-Race-.html

Suffolk County on New York's Long Island has the highest incidence of hate crimes in New York State.

ROGER / RAFA FINAL 2010 US OPEN!!!!!

Tour Champion

This could be huge, but before anyone gets too excited there is obviously still a lot to study on this. But still. courtesy of the AP

Transplant of marrow may have cured AIDS

An American who had AIDS appears to be cured of the disease 20 months after receiving a targeted bone marrow transplant normally used to fight leukemia, his doctors said Wednesday.

While researchers -- and the doctors themselves -- caution that the case might be no more than a fluke, others say it may inspire a greater interest in gene therapy to fight the disease that kills 2 million each year. The virus has infected 33 million people worldwide.
    http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/health/34368709.html?elr=KArksLckD8EQDUoaEyqyP4OW3ckUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUUF

This should help us all sleep well at night.

The Cold War's Missing Atom Bombs

By Benjamin Maack
    In a 1968 plane crash, the US military lost an atom bomb in Greenland's Arctic ice. But this was no isolated case. Up to 50 nuclear warheads are believed to have gone missing during the Cold War, and not all of them are in unpopulated areas.

It was a little early to be swimming in the Mediterranean that year. But in early March 1966, Manuel Fraga Iribarne, the Spanish information minister at the time, and Biddle Duke, the American ambassador in Madrid, together with their respective families, plunged into the chilly waters off the Costa Cálida. Journalists from around the world had gathered on the beach of the small village of Palomares to report on the two families' spring bathing outing. Their interest would have been surprising, if it hadn't been for the hydrogen bomb lying on the ocean floor only a few kilometers away, a bomb with more than 1,000 times the explosive force of the one that flattened Hiroshima.
    http://www.spiegel.de/international/...590513,00.html

Page 1 of 626 12345112651101251 ... LastLast