Agree Agree:  10
Likes Likes:  12
Page 60 of 60 FirstFirst ... 1035505657585960

Re: The Failing Economy

Quote Originally Posted by suliso View Post
    Those businesses for sure, but not only. Sister's company is making custom puzzles.
    That's really cool. Geared towards kids, adults, or both?

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post
    That's really cool. Geared towards kids, adults, or both?
    Anything really. The idea is you send a photo and specify the size (15-2000 pieces) and they ship the finished product to you usually in 2 business days.
    Roger forever

I love doing jigsaw puzzles when I have time, which isn't during semesters. A year or so ago I was given 2 of those customized puzzles of 1000 pieces each. I loved them and have been meaning to order some myself but never have. This will serve as a reminder to do that.

GH

Slate Money did a mini pod cast yesterday to deal with all that's going on with the economy. One thing they mentioned that I hadn't thought of is what is going to happe when all the medical bills for hospital and ER visits in May/June?

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.

― Frank Zappa

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Anything really. The idea is you send a photo and specify the size (15-2000 pieces) and they ship the finished product to you usually in 2 business days.
    Every time I order something of this kind - it very often seems to come from Latvia. You guys have that market cornered!

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm8 View Post
    Every time I order something of this kind - it very often seems to come from Latvia. You guys have that market cornered!
    Roger forever

I'm just reading that in US this Tuesday 280 thousand passengers passed airport security check compared to 2.2 million exactly one year ago. I think most airlines will have to lay off many employees even with generous government help. What's the use of pilots and stewards if there is hardly anyone willing to fly? Might be a good time to be an airplane ground maintenance technician. That still has to be done regularly unless you want to scrap all your billons of dollars worth of inventory.
    Roger forever

I'm just reading that in US this Tuesday 280 thousand passengers passed airport security check compared to 2.2 million exactly one year ago. I think most airlines will have to lay off many employees even with generous government help. What's the use of pilots and stewards if there is hardly anyone willing to fly? Might be a good time to be an airplane ground maintenance technician. That still has to be done regularly unless you want to scrap all your billions of dollars worth of inventory.
    Airlines got a hefty bailout in the stimulus package. The plan that was adopted was the one the Flight Attendants Union lobbied heavily for and essentially drafted on their own that covers all levels of airport workers not just flight attendants. The airlines basically won't get the money unless they keep their employees on the books til Sept 30. For their part, United announced hours after the bill's passage that they will start laying off workers after Sept 30.

Now, as bad as that sounds, apparently the Flight Attendants Union that fought for this version of the bill anticipated of this. I saw their President on the news the other day and after the United Airlines stuff came out last night, she took to social media to calm every down and explain their reasoning. Basically, they are hoping that the world may be a much better place in 6 months and they've bought everyone that time to hopefully see some improvement. Because without that, they'd almost all be out of work in the next 2 weeks at most. But if the turnaround happens even in part, the layoffs come October won't be anywhere near the number they'd have been right now. We'll see in 6 months if she's right.

Also, the estimate I heard most recently is that there are 10 million Americans working in the airline industry. So a very high number of people that avoided being suddenly unemployed given the airlines have grounded around 2/3 of their fleets.
    Last edited by JazzNU; 03-28-2020 at 08:49 AM.

Right, I understood that. I'm just wondering if it wouldn't be a better deal for everyone involved if airlines were allowed to lay off those people AND they get a much enhanced unemployement benefits. Let's say 100% salary for 6 months and 60% for further 6 if needed. Wouldn't that be a more efficient allocation of resources? As is airlines would pay these employees for doing nothing whatsover or would invent some make believe work.
    Roger forever

At this moment virtually every flight airlines do run is losing money (load factors in teens). It would save them money not flying anything at all or doing 1-2 flights per week + pure cargo flights.
    Roger forever

Do the numbers of people flying scare anyone else? Yeah, it's decreased by a lot, but over 200,000 people flying every day is still a huge number of possible vectors of spreading the virus. If I had a say, people would only be able to fly with a very good reason, such as health care workers going to a hot zone.
    Go Pack Go!

Right, I understood that. I'm just wondering if it wouldn't be a better deal for everyone involved if airlines were allowed to lay off those people AND they get a much enhanced unemployment benefits. Let's say 100% salary for 6 months and 60% for further 6 if needed. Wouldn't that be a more efficient allocation of resources? As is airlines would pay these employees for doing nothing whatsoever or would invent some make believe work.
    Although I'm uncertain about what you mean about enhanced unemployment benefits, in general that unemployment package scenario couldn't happen under the current laws without additional action and maybe not even then (I haven't looked at codes like this in a long while, but I have a hard time believing you can preference one industry in this manner under state unemployment laws). Your proposal would get them more than they are getting out of this bill or if they were laid off and got regular unemployment. And it would also dismantle the airline industry that would eventually need to be geared back up. Not to mention that they aren't completely out of work, they have a greatly reduced schedule.

If I had to guess, I think part of the deal with this bailout is that one, the airline industry has unions that can lobby for their employees, and two, it is a very centralized industry. Technically speaking the restaurant industry is bigger than the airline industry when it comes to the people affected, I think it has more like 15 million vs. 10 million workers. But they don't have unions to lobby for them aggressively and they are so heavily decentralized, saving their industry would be almost impossible by using similar measures. The airline industry is one that can basically be saved, similar to the auto industry, so it's being saved, one industry less to worry about bouncing back from next to nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Togtdyalttai View Post
    Do the numbers of people flying scare anyone else? Yeah, it's decreased by a lot, but over 200,000 people flying every day is still a huge number of possible vectors of spreading the virus. If I had a say, people would only be able to fly with a very good reason, such as health care workers going to a hot zone.
    I mostly agree but, for example, I will have to go back home eventually (with my GF). Would that be considered a good reason? I stayed here in the states because I thought that a little town in Colorado would be a better place to brave this pandemic than a 10 million people city. Now Colombia has shut down borders and I can't go back in for 30 days, which I agree with.
    But eventually, I have to go back home. What to do then? I need three planes to do so.
    (I know, you do not make policies based on the needs of one lonely jerk. But there must be other cases too).
    Missing winter...

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    I mostly agree but, for example, I will have to go back home eventually (with my GF). Would that be considered a good reason? I stayed here in the states because I thought that a little town in Colorado would be a better place to brave this pandemic than a 10 million people city. Now Colombia has shut down borders and I can't go back in for 30 days, which I agree with.
    But eventually, I have to go back home. What to do then? I need three planes to do so.
    (I know, you do not make policies based on the needs of one lonely jerk. But there must be other cases too).
    That is a valid point, and this is why I would have said I'm glad I'm not the one making these decisions if this had happened four years ago.
    Go Pack Go!

Interesting video about the current challenges of the airline industry. Passenger traffic in free fall, but pure freight routes surging. Also Qatar airways increasing their flight schedule in opposite to everyone else. They could do that because they are the last major career still flying long haul international routes and also even under normal circumstances only a tiny minority of passengers use them to fly to and from Doha.

Roger forever

Page 60 of 60 FirstFirst ... 1035505657585960