Agree Agree:  5
Likes Likes:  4
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2016 Olympics

Re: 2016 Olympics

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre1 View Post
    Chicago got the World's Columbian Exposition http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World%2...ian_Exposition not that long ago and A Century of Progress International Exposition http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Century_of_Progress even more recently. You're getting spoiled.

Last thing we had was the Tea Party.
    Just to beat everyone to the punch- NO, nelslus was NOT there at these events.

(Of course, that could ALSO be due to nelslus' growing up in Long Island. )
    Old News= Madison Brengle. New News- It's All About Amanda Fink Chichi Scholl, FULL CIRCLE OF LIFE MADISON BRENGLE BABY!!!!!!!!

NO, nelslus was NOT there at these events.
    You missed some great times, sonny.

I really do hope Chicago gets the nod.

When Moose said the greatest painting in the world is in Chicago, I thought he was talking about Seurat's.

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre1 View Post
    You missed some great times, sonny.

I really do hope Chicago gets the nod.

When Moose said the greatest painting in the world is in Chicago, I thought he was talking about Seurat's.
    OOOO, Seurat. Nelslus s his Impressionists (Neo- or otherwise.)
    Old News= Madison Brengle. New News- It's All About Amanda Fink Chichi Scholl, FULL CIRCLE OF LIFE MADISON BRENGLE BABY!!!!!!!!

Since this goes beyond just tennis:
    Zika Fears Prompt 150 Public Health Experts to Call for Olympics to Be Moved From Rio

Well. If the world did not move the 1936 Games, they are not going to move these ones just because of some pesky bugs.
    Starry starry night

I completely agree with what Ponchi said just above. In a decades-ago in-depth discussion about world affairs, I was once in a group to whom this question was posed: What could have happened differently in the 1920's and 1930's that would have led to World War II not happening? While that was basically the exact question, the discussion did morph at times into "What would have resulted in the war having a markedly different course?"

Anyway, there were bunches of obvious answers: Hitler dies of gunshot wounds in the 1923 Beer Hall Putsch; people actually read [U]Mein Kampf[U] and pay attention to what it says; the terms of the Treaty of Versailles (for WWI) are not so harsh on Germany, such as the amount of reparations and the effect that had on Germany's economy; the leaders of Germany (von Hindenburg, et al.) in the early 1930's have some balls and stand up to Hitler's takeover of power despite not having anything resembling a majority; the Western powers show an appropriate reaction to the rearmament of the Rhineland; ditto to other obvious violations of post-WWI policies during Hitler's rearmament; ditto to Hitler's early acts of aggression; the early overt hostility toward Jews is recognized for what it is and is dealt with when that is much more possible; etc.

Relative to Ponchi's comments: One of the answers was: The rest of the world insists on moving the 1936 Olympics (winter and summer, but really especially the summer ones in Berlin) away from Germany. Or possibly even just: The western Allies, especially to include Britain and the US, boycott the Berlin games and make it very clear why they are doing so.

Who knows what would have happened, but I do firmly believe that the course of world history would have been markedly different, maybe not to the point of totally averting war, but different, if the world had reacted as it should have ahead of those Olympics. It would have changed internal and external politics relative to Hitler, perhaps to the point that he never got the degree of choke-hold on the country he did.

So basically.....I emphatically agree with Ponchi.....If those Olympics weren't changed, Rio won't be changed. Also, I know it wouldn't have been easy even then, but my feeling is that somewhere else taking on the Olympics in 1936 relatively at the last minute would have been much less of a big deal than it would be now. Just as one thought: Los Angeles had had the Olympics in 1932. I bet they could have pulled off a decent games with 4 months notice....not perfect, but a better idea than leaving them in Berlin. And it was abundantly clear 4 months ahead of time what was going on in Germany.

I know that many people believe firmly that the Olympics should be above politics. But at least in 1936, there was a real chance that moving the Olympics could have made a huge difference.....remember, 55 million people died in the war that ensued. That time it would have been worth the trouble.

GH

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

I think it's more than a "pesky bug".

Plus, isn't this comparison kind of an apples and oranges thing?
    Oh Grigor. You silly man.

Moving the Olympics from Germany would've done nothing to stop Hitler. It could be easily spun as "the Zionists" acting against Germany alongside the main powers that had already embarrassed her with the Versailles treaty. If anything, I believe it would've given him even more internal leverage.

And even if he had in his inside noticed the action of the international community it might've prompted him to delay and prepare even better for the military conflict.
    Meet again we do, old foe...

Kirkus, I actually agree with you that this is a comparison of apples and oranges.....the reason to leave Rio versus the reason to avoid Berlin in 1936. But I do respectfully disagree with Drop about the possibility that things might have been different in Germany. We'll never know, but by the middle of 1936, I think WW2 (as it occurred) was still an avoidable thing. The events surrounding the Olympics, and the positive propaganda boost they gave the Hitler regime, gave him time to accelerate his plans. It was at the very least, one more bit of evidence that he could get by with almost anything for the next few years, and the West would not interfere.

I was by no means the first to espouse this theory. (I wasn't the one who brought it up in the discussion I mentioned either). But 2 sources that agree with me are 2 books: "Hitler's Olympics: The 1936 Berlin Olympic Games" by Christopher Hilton, and "Hitler's Olympics: The Story of the 1936 Nazi Games" by Anton Rippon.

GH

Moving the Olympics in 1936 would have certainly not done anything to stop the war. I agree on that. My point was that in 1936, there were MORAL reasons, verifiable and powerful, to move the Olympics away from Germany and it still did not happen. So, in 2016, a few pesky bugs are not going to make the IOC, extremely more corrupt nowadays than in 1936, even flinch.
    I simply hope that one day I will see an example of MORALS over DOLLARS actually winning. The only recent thing that comes close to my mind was David West's decision to sign up with the Spurs rather than the Pacers, leaving $11 million on the table. But that was not a morality issue. West simply felt that the Spurs gave him a better chance to win a ring. So it was about a prize, not about a morality play.
    Remember, we are not that far removed from another calamitous moral decision in 2014: the Sochi Olympics. Nobody even remotely boycotted the event, in protest of Putin's recent (at the time) discrimination over the LBGT community in Russia. The USA sent BJK and a few others, as a mild protest, and what did the world get? Russia cheating all over the place and Putin's persona (and sick ideas) getting a boost. A boost that perhaps led a psychopath like Putin to complete his ideas about Crimea.
    Not to mention, everything you know keeps going on against the LGBT community inside Russia.
    MORALS over DOLLARS. Just want to see it once before I kick the bucket.
    Starry starry night

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Asteroids Champion, 123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, Deal or No Deal Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Putt it in Golf Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, mahjong Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Battleship Champion, Solitaire Golf SLingo Champion, Archery Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This is not directed at ponchi but is meant to take a concept he presented a radical step further...

If we really want morals to trump dollars, then we wouldn't have Olympic Games at all. Our nationalism and desire to be entertained is so intense that we don't even bat an eye over the thousands of people who are rendered homeless to build new venues for our entertainment or the spikes in trafficking of women and girls associated with large-scale sporting events such as the Olympics, World Cup, the Super Bowl, and so on and so on and so on... Ponchi mentioned the corruption within the IOC. We've read about the corruption in construction contracting. We have a Sports Doping thread, for pete's sake.

Just throw the whole damn thing out. It's not worth it, and the human toll is too high.

Either that or make the protection of persons a priority in site selection.

It is completely directed at me in the sense that you and I have been agreeing on this entire charade since its inception (the Olympics, not any of the other charades you and I agree upon).
    Starry starry night

Good for Novak:

Courtney Nguyen ‏@FortyDeuceTwits

Novak on Zika: “We should not only think about people coming in Rio. How about those people living there? Not talking about them too much."

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Here’s a list of those who’ve taken themselves out of the running so far.

Golfers

1. Fijian Vijay Singh (Zika and scheduling)

2. Australian Adam Scott (scheduling)

3. South African Louis Oosthuizen (scheduling)

4. South African Charl Schwartzel (scheduling)

5. Australian Marc Leishman (Zika)

Tennis players

6. Australian Nick Kyrgios (believes the Australian Olympic Committee has treated him unfairly)

7. Austrian Dominic Thiem (didn’t want to give a reason)

8. American John Isner (scheduling)

9. Spanish player Feliciano Lopez (scheduling)

10. Australian Bernard Tomic (scheduling and “personal circumstances”)

It’s worth noting that these five players are all ranked within the top 25 in the world.

Basketball players

11. Steph Curry (recent knee and ankle injuries)

12. Chris Paul (general injuries)

13. Anthony Davis (recent knee surgery)

14. Blake Griffin (quad injury)

Cyclists

15. American Tejay van Garderen (Zika — his wife is pregnant)

Marathoners

16. Kenyan runner Wilson Kipsang (scheduling)

17. Dennis Kimetto (scheduling)

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/06/17-a...io-so-far-2016

Starry starry night

You don't even have to read the article. The video is enough. Wow.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast