Agree Agree:  5
Likes Likes:  4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2016 Olympics

Re: 2016 Olympics

Chicago is going to win, probably easily. It will have been 14 years since the last USA Olympics, which may be a landslide.

Rio would have it were it not for the World Cup.
    It's hard out here for a Zuz.

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by GVGirl View Post
    Sorry BPDN. I went through heartache with the NYC bid for 2012. I remember all the anti- USA sentiment.
    There was a lot of heartache? Most people in the city really disliked the thought.

Good luck, Nelslus Chicago

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm8 View Post
    There was a lot of heartache? Most people in the city really disliked the thought.

Good luck, Nelslus Chicago
    Actually, those West Side snobs were the ones that disliked the thought.

I was helping out the tennis PTB regarding the tennis venue

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Actually, those West Side snobs were the ones that disliked the thought.

I was helping out the tennis PTB regarding the tennis venue

oh, sorry.

I don't know if disliking the idea of basically being unable to leave your home for a month is necessarily snobbism. I lived on the West Side at that time, and, while I didn't care one way or another, I can totally understand all the negative arguments for congesting a congested space. There just didn't seem to be as many benefits for the city as trouble

Where am I?
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jessie181 View Post
    I honestly forgot

I was thinking you lived in Detroit for whatever reason
    That's me. For shame, Jessie, for shame.
    I'll miss you!

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm8 View Post
    oh, sorry.

I don't know if disliking the idea of basically being unable to leave your home for a month is necessarily snobbism. I lived on the West Side at that time, and, while I didn't care one way or another, I can totally understand all the negative arguments for congesting a congested space. There just didn't seem to be as many benefits for the city as trouble
    There is always congestion, regardless. Bejing will be a nightmare for travel. I remember that Atlanta was crazy too.

I'm guessing that you were not living in the area just north of the West Side rail yards, the area which would have been the most affected with the building of a stadium for the Opening Ceremonies (and the Jets).
    (That West Side Community board they have issues)

Anyway, the IOC did not not want the US to get it yet, again. I would have liked to have attended the Olympics in NYC and the surrounding areas. I was one of many volunteers involved with bid.

I just don't think Chicago will get it, sad to say. It would be fabulous, but I don't think it's happening.

I just don't think Chicago will get it, sad to say. It would be fabulous, but I don't think it's happening.
    May be not, but if US doesn't get it in 2016 then 2020 is a safe bet. Chicago or New York would be a good choice because they have never had it before...
    Roger forever

If The U.S doesn't get it in 2016, like Suliso said, we'll definitely get it by 2020, I'm guessing.

Quote Originally Posted by beaujarkko View Post
    That's me. For shame, Jessie, for shame.
    I know. I'm a terrible person

Look. There is only one point to this thread, and it has NOTHING to do with the terribleness of Jessie or not.

Chicago gets the Olympics. You all agree. Or, nelslus starts biting the heads off of TAT-ites.
    Old News= Madison Brengle. New News- It's All About Amanda Fink Chichi Scholl, FULL CIRCLE OF LIFE MADISON BRENGLE BABY!!!!!!!!

I think Chicago is long overdue for something major and after New York lost it's bid (thank goodness) I think Chicago has a lock. By 2016 Rio may just be cleaning up from the hordes of rioting fansWorld Cup and even they may not want another invasion from abroad.

Good Luck to you Mid Westerners!
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Where am I?
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jessie181 View Post
    I know. I'm a terrible person
    False.

Oh yeah, and... go Olympics!
    I'll miss you!

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    I think Chicago is long overdue for something major and after New York lost it's bid (thank goodness) I think Chicago has a lock. By 2016 Rio may just be cleaning up from the hordes of rioting fansWorld Cup and even they may not want another invasion from abroad.

Good Luck to you Mid Westerners!

P.S. Your five bucks are in the mail.
    Old News= Madison Brengle. New News- It's All About Amanda Fink Chichi Scholl, FULL CIRCLE OF LIFE MADISON BRENGLE BABY!!!!!!!!

SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nelslus View Post
    You know, I'd root for the Olympics to be in one of YOUR home cities if this were an option. When I saw this thread, I thought SOMEONE would wish nelslus' city good luck.
    Christ on a Crutch, Nelslus. You allready have both the greatest singer of our lifetime, and the greatest painting ever. Don't be greedy!
    With Lucas Pouille at Indian Wells (2018)

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Yahtzee Champion, Yeti 1 Greece Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Just now catching up with this thread.

Chicago? That would be cool! Thanks, Barack!

Chicago got the World's Columbian Exposition http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World%2...ian_Exposition not that long ago and A Century of Progress International Exposition http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Century_of_Progress even more recently. You're getting spoiled.

Last thing we had was the Tea Party.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast