Agree Agree:  5
Likes Likes:  4
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2016 Olympics

Re: 2016 Olympics

Quite a few cities regret hosting the Olympics. Huge expense, years of disruption, taxes, etc. Just wanting to spare you the pain, Nelslus.

I have nothing but fond memories of Chicago. One night in the Hilton when I was 5.

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

I would LOVE for the games to be in Chicago.

And I call dibbs on nelslus' B&B!

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
    I would LOVE for the games to be in Chicago.

And I call dibbs on nelslus' B&B!
    You're in.

I've already X'd out CERTAIN names off the Chicago guest list.
    Old News= Madison Brengle. New News- It's All About Amanda Fink Chichi Scholl, FULL CIRCLE OF LIFE MADISON BRENGLE BABY!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nelslus View Post
    I disagree. Not saying it'll happen, but.....

Some of you all may have no idea the HUGE resources that Chicago has already put into these efforts.
    Chicago's my hometown Nelslus, so I'm familiar with all the City has put into the bid already. I just don't think it will happen because Chicago doesn't operate under the best set of rules and practices, and because of recent current events.
    Last edited by verucasalt; 06-04-2008 at 10:03 PM.
    Picasso: Guernica

Fine, I'll stay with Oprah.

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre1 View Post
    Quite a few cities regret hosting the Olympics. Huge expense, years of disruption, taxes, etc. Just wanting to spare you the pain, Nelslus.
    That's all true. But they also serve as a good reason to invest in infrastructure (roads, public transportation etc.)
    Roger forever

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre1 View Post

I have nothing but fond memories of Chicago. One night in the Hilton when I was 5.
    HEY, (assuming I'm still alive in 2016- let's hope for more modern medical miracles for nelslus) the chance to see Olympic tennis?!?!? And diving/swimming.....PLEASE, Chicago can burn to the ground afterwards for all I care. I WANT THE OLYMPICS!!!!!!!
    Old News= Madison Brengle. New News- It's All About Amanda Fink Chichi Scholl, FULL CIRCLE OF LIFE MADISON BRENGLE BABY!!!!!!!!

You know, I'd root for the Olympics to be in one of YOUR home cities if this were an option. When I saw this thread, I thought SOMEONE would wish nelslus' city good luck.
    The opposite. I'm actually surprised that I'm a tad miffed that no one thought to wish Chicago good luck. This would be a thrill for me and perhaps even more so my partner. I truly wouldn't be rooting on other cities quite so vehemently knowing that a regular TAT member's city was a choice. Oh, well. (This message NOT directed at you, suliso.)
    You're in.

I've already X'd out CERTAIN names off the Chicago guest list.

I forgot you lived in Chicago

sorry Nelslus

In that case, I change my mind! I wish it was in Chicago so I can go and visit my buddy Nelslus!
    Last edited by Jay; 06-04-2008 at 10:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mznblue View Post
    Chicago's my hometown Nelslus, so I'm familiar with all the City has put into the bid already. I just don't think it will happen because Chicago doesn't operate under the best set of rules and practices, and because of recent current events.
    Trust me- I ain't gonna downplay the Governor/the hideous R Kelly, etc., etc. messes. But, at the risk of sounding cynical- what big city DOESN'T have scandals/corruption, etc., etc.?!?!? Financially, Chicago has mucho-bucks- and, trust me, Chicago has been pushing MEGA hard for this- including plans in the works ready to go to majorly revamp parts of the city if the Olympics is a go. To an extent that, as a social services director can horrify me- like, God help the homeless population in Chicago. Still, I want the damned Olympics- AND- I just wouldn't underestimate Chicago's clout.
    Last edited by nelslus; 06-04-2008 at 10:09 PM.

Bottom line- I truly was just a bit disappointed that no one thought to wish Chicago well. I saw the title for this thread and had a big smile....then kept reading....and reading......

Just a small faux pas is all. End of THAT rant, I promise.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessie181 View Post
    I forgot you lived in Chicago

sorry Nelslus

In that case, I change my mind! I wish it was in Chicago so I can go and visit my buddy Nelslus!
    YOU are a person I could never stay mad at. (Or probably even BE mad at.) So- back at ya.

Trust me- I ain't gonna downplay the Governor/the hideous R Kelly, etc., etc. messes. But, at the risk of sounding cynical- what big city DOESN'T have scandals/corruption, etc., etc.?!?!? Financially, Chicago has mucho-bucks- and, trust me, Chicago has been pushing MEGA hard for this- including plans in the works ready to go to majorly revamp parts of the city if the Olympics is a go. To an extent that, as a social services director can horrify me- like, God help the homeless population in Chicago. Still, I want the damned Olympics- AND- I just wouldn't underestimate Chicago's clout.
    I wish I could be as optimistic as you nelslus. I really worry about the financial and neighborhood effects (especially on the Southside) of having the Olympics in Chicago.
    Picasso: Guernica

Bottom line- I truly was just a bit disappointed that no one thought to wish Chicago well. I saw the title for this thread and had a big smile....then kept reading....and reading......

Sorry BPDN. I went through heartache with the NYC bid for 2012. I remember all the anti- USA sentiment.

I honestly forgot

I was thinking you lived in Detroit for whatever reason

Quote Originally Posted by mznblue View Post
    I wish I could be as optimistic as you nelslus. I really worry about the financial and neighborhood effects (especially on the Southside) of having the Olympics in Chicago.
    I know. Trust me- I have HUGE mental contradictions for all of this.

Another example: Chicago spends HUGE money on flowers and plants. EVERYWHERE. EVERY neighborhood. My social services instincts: Feed and house people first. My selfish instincts: LOOK AT THE PRETTY FLOWERS!!!! Plus, to be fair- the efforts to make Chicago MUCH prettier and cleaner in recent years clearly has increased tourism ridiculously. Which leads to more jobs......

Also, many of my South side associates indeed are: HELL no to the Olympics. No doubt too many would at least be "encouraged" to move. So, it's probably leading down another road to hell.....but, I still just want the Olympics. And, you should SEE how much advertising is out there about the Olympics in Chicago. Hell, turn around for a second, and someone's planted an Olympics advertisement on your ass. The poo-bahs in Chicago are beyond hot for the Olympics. And- they do tend to get things done when they really, REALLY want to get things done.

AND- my non-Aedra Atlanta friend LOVED having the Olympics there. SO, there could be much good for Chicago with the Olympics (as nelslus tries to justify his feelings here.....)
    Last edited by nelslus; 06-04-2008 at 10:24 PM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast