Agree Agree:  0
Likes Likes:  0

View Poll Results: Who Had The Bigger Win Over the Guys?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Billie Jean King defeats Bobby Riggs

16 94.12%
  • Danica Patrick wins Japan's Indy 300

1 5.88%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Greater Accomplishment: BJK or Danica?

the PTI guys were discussing this tonight while I was at the gym. It was a fascinating discussion, so I thought I'd post a poll, and see what people think. We might well be a biased group, but let's see what happens.

The discussion was, in the "big picture", who's accomplishment against the boys is greater. Billie Jean defeats Bobby Riggs in one of the most famous sporting exhibitions of all time. Added a huge air of legitimacy to the men v. women debate of the day. But it was an exhibition, featuring one of, if not THE premier female athlete of her day against a 55 year old man.

Then there is Danica, who this weekend became the first woman to beat the mens field in an Indy Car race. Rather than an exhibition, this was an actual race, and Danica was racing against the current best of her sport. But on the other hand, it's driving a car, which arguably doesn't go a long way in making the argument that a female out-physically performed a male.

So who do you say....and why?
    With Lucas Pouille at Indian Wells (2018)

Re: Greater Accomplishment: BJK or Danica?

Danica's wasn't in front of that kind of audience. Danica should be damn proud, but BJK left an actual sociological legacy.

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

IMO, Billie Jean just because it came at a time when it mattered more.

Not to mention physical abilities are more pertinent in tennis, and it's a global sport so the effect was further-reaching

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Aren't they looking at the wrong markers?

Beating Bobby Riggs was one of the least important things BJK ever did, though I fully understand it's significance at the time. One could argue that BJK's greatest accomplishments occurred off the court... e.g., starting the Virginia Slims tour and emerging as a feminist icon.

Danica has a SI swimsuit spread.

But if they insisted on examining the wrong markers, then it's still BJK.
    Winston, a.k.a. Alvena Rae Risley Hiatt (1944-2019), RIP

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

These barriers can only be broken once. BJK was the one. She paved the way for those who followed...in any sport.

SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

What Danica accomplished this weekend was huge...but I'm in the BJK camp also. It was just such a huge event, and a statement win. It definitely impacted its time. I think the biggest thing Danica's win did was take her out of Kournikova-ville, which was the reference that most sportcasters seem to have been using with her up to this point - and it really wasn't a fair comparison, since Anna K. played against women, while Danica plays against men. Think it had as much to do with the selling of Danica as a sex symbol.
    With Lucas Pouille at Indian Wells (2018)

That said, you're not really asking an impartial crowd here.

Danica's win was impressive, but a couple days later and it's pretty much forgotten. The fact that people remember what BJK accomplished 30+ years later really says it all.
    The Adventures of Pete and Pete: Mom

I'm sorry, but race car driving falls into the "barely a sport" category for me.

I totally love it when women compete against the boys club and win, but for me, it's a no contest win for BJK.
    This is not the bouquet you toss

Without BJK there would have never been a Danica. Her scope was broader than just tennis.
    No Danica, no Anika, no super huge endorsements for women athletes

Athletic wise? Danika. Somebody here points out (correctly) than Riggs was 55. Danika really had no handicaps or watered down field against her.
    But I state the same: NO BJK, No Danika

I'd love to see an exhibition match between Serena and John McEnroe! It would probably be really entertaining

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post

Athletic wise? Danika. Somebody here points out (correctly) than Riggs was 55. Danika really had no handicaps or watered down field against her.
    I think my second place award would go to Michelle Wie making the cut of a men's event.
    This is not the bouquet you toss

Quote Originally Posted by JTContinental View Post
    I think my second place award would go to Michelle Wie making the cut of a men's event.
    She did that?

She annoyed me. Win something with the women before you go out to try to make a statement with the men.
    It's hard out here for a Zuz.

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
    I'd love to see an exhibition match between Serena and John McEnroe! It would probably be really entertaining
    Pretty sure one of Serena's serves would just go right through him and leave a hole

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm8 View Post
    Pretty sure one of Serena's serves would just go right through him and leave a hole
    Now that's something I'd pay good money to see. Let it be so.
    Old News= Madison Brengle. New News- It's All About Amanda Fink Chichi Scholl, FULL CIRCLE OF LIFE MADISON BRENGLE BABY!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast