Agree Agree:  1
Likes Likes:  1
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

Re: The Boxing Thread

Four years since a real post, that tells you all you need to know about the state of boxing.. That said I will (hopefully) be watching tonight.

The big story seems to be that Mayweather's organization, in control of credentials, has banned to female reporters who reported extensively on his domestic abuse issues. They then tried to say they didn't ban anyone.

Rachel Nichols explains events leading up to her being banned for Mayweather vs. Pacquiao
    By Tyler Tynes @TylerRickyTynes on May 2, 2015, 8:04p

Rachel Nichols and Michelle Beadle were originally banned from receiving a media credential for the fight of the century between Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao. Nichols took to Twitter to explain the entirety of what happened leading up to today's events:

Have had a bunch of folks asking questions about the Mayweather issue. Here's what happened: After asking tough questions of Floyd Mayweather on my program, I was not offered press credentials to cover tonight's fight. In an email dated April 23, I was told I would only be credentialed for the run-up events through the week, but in bold, italic letters the email stated "you do not have any access Saturday to any services or events." A CNN producer revisited the issue with the Mayweather camp on April 29, confirming to Mayweather's publicist that I would be in Las Vegas, and the publicist replied that I would still be denied a fight night credential. I was told the same thing when I arrived at the credential office in person on May 1, by two separate officials, in front of several other people. It doesn't surprise me that now, after facing significant backlash, the Mayweather camp has reversed its position. But despite this, and other outside parties generously offering me their seats, I will not attend the fight. I will also not let fear of retaliation prevent me from asking the tough questions the public deserves answers to in the future.

In order:

1) April 23 she was told she would only have access to events leading up to the fight but nothing on Saturday.

2) A CNN producer revisited the topic April 29 but the Mayweather camp still denied her access.

3) On May 1, two separate officials reminded her, in front of a crowd, that she wasn't going to have access to the event.

4) And despite many outlets and people giving up their seats for her, in protest she won't be attending or covering the fight. However, she will still be asking the hard-hitting questions that led to her eventual dismissal.

This is just going to keep getting worse for the Mayweather camp. But somehow, in a devilish public relations sort of way, this might get more people to watch this super-fight.

http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2015/...ing-banned-for
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Heard in news today that some fans were trying to pay the $100 pay per view fee but late subscribers were not able to do so, apparently high traffic!

I didn't pay or watch but news said it was not much, no knock downs.
    Mayweather keeps his good name too.

Whatever Mayweather has done to gain the title, I just don't see it. Sure he might avoid getting punched, but otherwise, he does nothing.

Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

He is so good at avoiding getting punched that he only had to do very little to win. Some of the stats were pretty silly last night. Think Manny connected on less than 10% of his jabs... And only had three rounds with double digits punches landed. It's boring but such totally dominating defense you can't possibly score for his helpless opponents. Sounds like he's going for one more fight... But I think the extra money to go 50 and 0 and beat Rocky Marciano well motivate him for two more fights.

The defining image for the fight for me was after when he was jawing with the crowd while Manny was smiling at everyone and getting cheered.
    Last edited by ptmcmahon; 05-03-2015 at 05:58 PM.

I heard a very credible boxing person saying that Floyd is the ultimate dichotomy. In his personal life he is all about risks...financial/driving fast/relationships with women - but in the ring he is the opposite. He is so calculating, so cerebral in how he works his opponent.

Colin Cowherd was saying yesterday that one thing that is underrated in the best boxers (Sugar Ray/Ali) is their ability to "manipulate" a judge - by knowing when to expend their energy and work their opponent. Mayweather falls into that category.

And while I am here - I don't blame Pac one iota for not declaring he had a shoulder injury...

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by fastbackss View Post
    And while I am here - I don't blame Pac one iota for not declaring he had a shoulder injury...
    I didn't realize this was a rule until I saw an article. That's crazy, why would you make your weaknesses known?

Anyway, it was a comically boring fight between a really bad person and a somewhat bad person (I give Pacquiao some slack for cultural differences). Glad I saw it for free (thanks, Russian TV) - can't believe the pay-per-view cost was $100!

Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by fastbackss View Post
    Colin Cowherd was saying yesterday that one thing that is underrated in the best boxers (Sugar Ray/Ali) is their ability to "manipulate" a judge - by knowing when to expend their energy and work their opponent. Mayweather falls into that category.
    If anything I think the judges would have been manipulated by the crowd cheering for Pacquiao the couple times he did land a punch. Two judges giving Manny four rounds at all was extremely generous. I gave him three and one was the last round because Mayweather was basically celebrating...not for Manny actually doing anything.

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm8 View Post
    I didn't realize this was a rule until I saw an article. That's crazy, why would you make your weaknesses known?

Anyway, it was a comically boring fight between a really bad person and a somewhat bad person (I give Pacquiao some slack for cultural differences). Glad I saw it for free (thanks, Russian TV) - can't believe the pay-per-view cost was $100!
    Argie govt also aired it free! Taxes at work!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234