Agree Agree:  1
Likes Likes:  1
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 54
  1. #31
    Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

    ptmcmahon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    15,311

    Re: The Boxing Thread

    Huge mouse under Margarito's right eye...Manny is running away with the fight...probably 10 rounds to 1 going into the last round. Rare night I can say I'm enjoyin boxing more than MMA though...although MMA was free on spike (or sportsnet in Canada) UFC had 4 of 5 matches farely non-exciting decisions, with only one exciting fight - plus at least in Canada, they stopped the broadcast 30 minutes early instead of showing prelims too...boo.
    Thanks for the medal Johanna!

  2. #32
    Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

    ptmcmahon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    15,311

    Re: The Boxing Thread

    Apparently church in the Phillipes was postponed for this match

    120-108, 118-110, 119-109 are the final scores...sixth weight class he's won a title in.

    Today (not the official weighins) Manny weighed in at 148...Margartio 165
    Last edited by ptmcmahon; 11-13-2010 at 09:56 PM.
    Thanks for the medal Johanna!

  3. #33

    Re: The Boxing Thread

    Great result for Manny! And you got to watch, ptmcmahon! I just looked at some of the photographs around the web and they add to your words nicely There was also some talk about pre-match controversy regarding Margarito's tapes and the possibility of him using ephedra? Good grief...
    Coach Marion, at your service!

  4. #34
    Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

    ptmcmahon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    15,311

    Re: The Boxing Thread

    Actually I think it was Manny's gloves they were complaining about. I guess Roach wanted Margarito to have a drug test right before the fight but the commission refused. They didn't show this on the feed I was on but guess they were pretty upset before the match.
    Thanks for the medal Johanna!

  5. #35

    Re: The Boxing Thread

    Coach Marion, at your service!

  6. #36
    Content tinamarie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Mannheim, Germany
    Posts
    3,686
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: The Boxing Thread

    Good job, Wladimir. I never cared much about boxing before, but picked up a random English newspaper at the airport feat. an interview with Hayes and his arrogance and pathetic trash talking made me actually tune it tonight to see him lose. ( So yeah, I guess the promotion worked.) Good fight from both, deserving winner.
    " All they can do is beat him. They cannot ever be his equal." ~Al Laney on Big Bill Tilden

  7. #37
    Slam Watcher rabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Princeton, NJ
    Posts
    8,195

    Re: The Boxing Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by tinamarie View Post
    Good job, Wladimir. I never cared much about boxing before, but picked up a random English newspaper at the airport feat. an interview with Hayes and his arrogance and pathetic trash talking made me actually tune it tonight to see him lose. ( So yeah, I guess the promotion worked.) Good fight from both, deserving winner.
    I watched it too, and enjoyed the Klitschko win!

  8. #38

    Re: The Boxing Thread

    Yup. Well done Wlad. Haye didn't have anything close to a new game plan and he was too hesitant to follow through on any combination he managed to land. Technically decent fight for sure, though I'd have liked more fireworks from both.

    Who the bleep are the Klitchko's going to fight now? Not many real options left if they still won't fight each other
    Coach Marion, at your service!

  9. #39

    Re: The Boxing Thread

    Haye is a decent fighter. He would probably be one of the top guys at cruiserweight. Can't really criticise him that much for challenging himself by taking on these bigger men. it's just almost impossible to bridge that kind of weight and reach advantage.

    With due respect to the Klitschko brothers, who are very good at what they do, it's not a result that does anything to stimulate the heavyweight division. It will continue to be what it's become since around the time Lewis retired - very very dull.

  10. #40
    Content tinamarie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Mannheim, Germany
    Posts
    3,686
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: The Boxing Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by oploskoffie View Post
    Yup. Well done Wlad. Haye didn't have anything close to a new game plan and he was too hesitant to follow through on any combination he managed to land. Technically decent fight for sure, though I'd have liked more fireworks from both.

    Who the bleep are the Klitchko's going to fight now? Not many real options left if they still won't fight each other
    No if. They won't. This truly seems to be a case of love over money.


    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantès View Post
    Haye is a decent fighter. He would probably be one of the top guys at cruiserweight. Can't really criticise him that much for challenging himself by taking on these bigger men. it's just almost impossible to bridge that kind of weight and reach advantage.

    With due respect to the Klitschko brothers, who are very good at what they do, it's not a result that does anything to stimulate the heavyweight division. It will continue to be what it's become since around the time Lewis retired - very very dull.
    I see your point. No real challenger in sight and the Klitschkos don't really have that much star appeal, except of course here in Germany where they seem to be just unanimously loved. They are on TV A LOT, commercials, cameos in movies/shows and now they even have a documentary on them playing in the theatres. Yesterday, some expert said the Klitschkos made heavy weight boxing big (again) in Germany and he is right. I just don't really know why.
    " All they can do is beat him. They cannot ever be his equal." ~Al Laney on Big Bill Tilden

  11. #41

    Re: The Boxing Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by tinamarie View Post
    I see your point. No real challenger in sight and the Klitschkos don't really have that much star appeal, except of course here in Germany where they seem to be just unanimously loved. They are on TV A LOT, commercials, cameos in movies/shows and now they even have a documentary on them playing in the theatres. Yesterday, some expert said the Klitschkos made heavy weight boxing big (again) in Germany and he is right. I just don't really know why.
    Do they live/have lived in Germany or maybe speak German? If not then it's a bit puzzling...

    Being big stars in Germany is not such a bad deal
    Roger forever

  12. #42
    Slam Watcher rabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Princeton, NJ
    Posts
    8,195

    Re: The Boxing Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by suliso View Post
    Do they live/have lived in Germany or maybe speak German? If not then it's a bit puzzling...

    Being big stars in Germany is not such a bad deal
    I know for sure Wladimir lived in Germany for some time and in fact, turned professional there.

  13. #43
    Content tinamarie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Mannheim, Germany
    Posts
    3,686
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: The Boxing Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by suliso View Post
    Do they live/have lived in Germany or maybe speak German? If not then it's a bit puzzling...

    Being big stars in Germany is not such a bad deal
    They have lived in Hamburg for years now (also residing in Kiev though) and as rabbit said, they turned professional with a German promoter. Therefore, yes, they also speak German, and both certainly are major factors to their popularity.
    " All they can do is beat him. They cannot ever be his equal." ~Al Laney on Big Bill Tilden

  14. #44

    Re: The Boxing Thread

    I like to watch female boxing

  15. #45

    Re: The Boxing Thread

    If you are going to watch tonight's fight (Mayweather/Pacquiao) this may be interesting (strong language).

    Or this (Keith Olbermann, which is kind of the same as strong language)
    Last edited by ponchi101; 05-02-2015 at 11:58 AM.
    Missing winter...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •