Likes Likes:  360
Page 325 of 326 FirstFirst ... 75225275300315321322323324325326 LastLast
Results 4,861 to 4,875 of 4879

Re: Talk about Rankings (TAR :))

Quote Originally Posted by TalkAboutTennis View Post
    Player Total Weeks At No. 1

Roger Federer (SUI) 310
    Pete Sampras (USA) 286
    Novak Djokovic (SRB) 276 (as of 3 February 2020)
    Welp, Djokovic is 99% passing Federer for the top spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie02123 View Post
    Welp, Djokovic is 99% passing Federer for the top spot.
    I would love to read an informed analysis of how and how much the Big 3 have created each other, in an iron-sharpens-iron sort of way. A lot of it would have to come from their own introspection and that of their teams or people who have talked to them about it. I have a pet theory about how Roger inspired Rafa because he was precisely, almost scientifically, the type of carrot a competitor like Rafa would have responded to. Rafa would have been great anyway. But without the carrot divined by the universe especially for him, would have have become as great as he is? Then ditto Novak.
    Last edited by MeganFernandez; 02-04-2020 at 10:00 AM.
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

Quote Originally Posted by MeganFernandez View Post
    I would love to read an informed analysis of how and how much the Big 3 have created each other, in an iron-sharpens-iron sort of way. A lot of it would have to come from their own introspection and that of their teams or people who have talked to them about it. I have a pet theory about how Roger inspired Rafa because he was precisely, almost scientifically, the type of carrot a competitor like Rafa would have responded to. Rafa would have been great anyway. But without the carrot divined by the universe especially for him, would have have become as great as he is? Then ditto Novak.
    A lot of fans say things like "Imagine if it was only one of them! He'd have 40-50 slams!" I am 100% convinced that if there was only one of them, whoever it was would have less slams than his current tally.

The mental domination over the rest of the field only happens with them as a group. If it's only Federer, then players like Berdych and Ferrer get a slam or two, and suddenly aren't so terrified when a tiebreaker rolls around. The h2h records would be a lot less dominant if there were more opportunities for slams and 1000s.

I also think their incredible longevity is only happening because they're racing each other. Nadal was the oldest ever year end #1 in 2017, then he broke it last year.

Sure, I like your position. On the other hand: if there were only two of them, they would both be beyond 25.
    Evert and Navs always said they drove each other to be better. No reason to believe these three guys had not done the same.
    Missing winter...

Rybakina is in the middle of one of the biggest ranking explosions I've ever seen. She had to qualify for the US Open last year. She was seeded at the Australian Open this year. She's currently #19 in the live rankings.

This is a fun story.

31 year old Attila Balazs just had a big week, taking advantage of an LL spot to make the semis at a 500 in Rio.

This time last year, he was outside the top 200, and had never cracked the top 150 in his career. He's only played 8 slam qualifying events, making the final round once (last year at Wimbledon).

Something must have clicked after the French Open last year. He made the finals at two 100k challengers in a row, made his first Q3 at Wimbledon, then was RU at a 250. He won a 50k early this year.

After this result, he jumps from just outside the top 100 to #79. He'll finally get to play his first ever main draw slam at the French Open.

My favorite part: as a Hungarian, he's Attila the Hun! (Yes, Hungarians and Huns are two completely different things, but if you pull up his profile, you still see Attila and Hun right next to each other.)

Kenin into the top 5 this week, as Bencic and Svitolina took significant hits to their point total
    This is not the bouquet you toss

Also, it appears that the same person is ranked 21-26, based on the photos. Variety is the spice of life

656F4E0D-2235-4D3D-9BEC-7764B183E66D.jpeg
    Last edited by JTContinental; 02-24-2020 at 08:38 AM.

Because they are all blonde Europeans?
    A Canadian Slam winner? Inconceivable!

Quote Originally Posted by ptmcmahon View Post
    Because they are all blonde Europeans?
    Possibly, but mainly because it looks like the same person with interchangeable hairstyles, like Sims

Also, Coco Gauff moved into the top 50 this week, the first 15 year old to do so since...Sesil Karatantcheva.

Quote Originally Posted by JTContinental View Post
    Also, Coco Gauff moved into the top 50 this week, the first 15 year old to do so since...Sesil Karatantcheva.
    Uh oh
    25 GRAND SLAM TITLES: 5 SINGLES 13 DOUBLES 7 MIXED

Charlie, There was a male figure skater from Hungary some years ago named Attila Toth. He also became known as "Attila the Hun". (and yes, we also knew then that Huns didn't found Hungary). Obviously, something happens at tennis that visually would look like the same thing that brought people to say "Attila the Hun" for Toth. When they put up his name it would look like "Attila Toth- Hun", "Hun being the abbreviation they used for Hungary. So they were even telling us he was a "Hun". GH

Quote Originally Posted by GlennHarman View Post
    Charlie, There was a male figure skater from Hungary some years ago named Attila Toth. He also became known as "Attila the Hun". (and yes, we also knew then that Huns didn't found Hungary). Obviously, something happens at tennis that visually would look like the same thing that brought people to say "Attila the Hun" for Toth. When they put up his name it would look like "Attila Toth- Hun", "Hun being the abbreviation they used for Hungary. So they were even telling us he was a "Hun". GH
    'Toth' is also the name of a character in a book series I love. I don't know anything about skating! Anyways, I support you.

I thought it was funny that 'Attila' and 'Hun' were right next to each other, and I've made the decision to support Attilia for one round at the French Open.

This is a real Venn Diagram issue. What happens if I like Glenn, Attila, Toth, all my favorites, my love of meats, my deep cynicism...? Can we all be friends?

I feel very confident in supporting all those people. (Most of them will probably lose horribly, but I'll root like crazy. Maybe someone will win!)

Christopher Clarey @christophclarey

Players to reach top three in ATP rankings in the age of the Big Three other than the Big Three. July 2007 onward

Roddick
    Murray
    Ferrer
    Wawrinka
    Raonic
    Zverev
    Dimitrov
    Cilic
    Del Potro
    Thiem

Only Murray has been No. 1 (or 2) during that time
    ATP Tour @atptour
    Congratulations @ThiemDomi
    The Austrian has moved up to a career-high #3 in the @FedEx ATP Rankings

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.

― Frank Zappa

Page 325 of 326 FirstFirst ... 75225275300315321322323324325326 LastLast