Agree Agree:  212
Likes Likes:  373
Page 328 of 330 FirstFirst ... 78228278303318324325326327328329330 LastLast
Results 4,906 to 4,920 of 4941

Re: Talk about Rankings (TAR :))

Fun factoid: in the current WTA top 10 half the players have been #1 and all have reached the top 4.
    Roger forever

We said a few years ago. The age of parity. Everybody gets to be #1 for a few weeks.
    And the ATP will soon join them.
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

Indeed. There will be a large number of 3-5 Slam winners, but very few if any with more than that.
    Roger forever

Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    We said a few years ago. The age of parity. Everybody gets to be #1 for a few weeks.
    I guess the question now is how soon ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know the difference between parity and depth. I love the WTA right now, that's all I know.
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

It is like everything. It has some good points, it has some bad points. It will be difficult to bring people to the sport when no recognizable name is at the top. When the casual spectator does not have a Serena or a Roger on a Wimbledon final, who knows how many new people will be attracted to the sport.
    For us, that we like the game, it will be nice up to a point. A Yastremska/Putintseva final at RG may be painful to watch.
    I remember ages ago (and I do mean the 80's) an article by Peter Bodo talking about how tennis needs the BIG champion. How tennis is better when there is a McEnroe and a Navratilova ruling the sport. The people have the champion to root for, or the underdog to bring her down. When both players are equals in the term of just a few achievements ("there will be a new slam champion today") the sports losses some luster.
    But I guess we will have no say on that. Matteo Berretini and Elise Mertens, 2024 RG Champions. Come on down!!!

It is like everything. It has some good points, it has some bad points. It will be difficult to bring people to the sport when no recognizable name is at the top. When the casual spectator does not have a Serena or a Roger on a Wimbledon final, who knows how many new people will be attracted to the sport.
    For us, that we like the game, it will be nice up to a point. A Yastremska/Putintseva final at RG may be painful to watch.
    I remember ages ago (and I do mean the 80's) an article by Peter Bodo talking about how tennis needs the BIG champion. How tennis is better when there is a McEnroe and a Navratilova ruling the sport. The people have the champion to root for, or the underdog to bring her down. When both players are equals in the term of just a few achievements ("there will be a new slam champion today") the sports losses some luster.
    But I guess we will have no say on that. Matteo Berretini and Elise Mertens, 2024 RG Champions. Come on down!!!
    We'll likely have Osaka for a long while. Gauff should emerge as a globally recognized name. We'll see what happens on the ATP. We probably still have Novak and Rafa for a few more good years. And maybe Fed, who knows. But those guys weren't global stars at one point. Never know who will emerge and rise to the occasion. I don't know if Novak would have become as great as he is if Roger and Rafa weren't around to chase.

This is also why the sport is stronger as a dual-gender one, as many have mentioned. Some people like the suspense when there's not a huge favorite, or that their favorite has a chance to win a Slam and not be shut out for a decade. We've had domination on the mens' side and the opposite on the women's side. Could flip in the next 5 years.

As much as we fret about years without a star, there really haven't been many years like that in the last 40 or 50, right? A couple here and there, gaps between star emergence. But overwhelmingly, the sport mints stars and rivalries.
    Last edited by MeganFernandez; 09-21-2020 at 08:35 AM.
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

“No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.” – Lily Tomlin.

Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

WTA finals points will remain in the ranking until 2021 so Barty will likely finish year end #1 unless Halep wins French Open

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by omess View Post
    WTA finals points will remain in the ranking until 2021 so Barty will likely finish year end #1 unless Halep wins French Open
    Indeed, but Halep winning French Open is fairly likely.
    Roger forever

Fairly likely a WTA player wins a slam? She may be the favorite but I think we have different definitions of fairly likely.
    A Canadian Slam winner? Inconceivable!

In today's WTA, "fairly likely" is as good as one can do when you have a Grand Slam, on the surface of choice of a lot of the top players, after a serious hiatus in the tour has taken place.
    Hey, almost as good as your "A WTA player will win it" . And I will go one more: very likely that a "two-handed backhand" player will win it.
    Right now, even that sort of prediction is bold.
    Last edited by ponchi101; 09-24-2020 at 11:15 AM.

Fairly likely to me implies well over 50%. At this point it's hard to be much more than 5% confident on any one player.
    A Canadian Slam winner? Inconceivable!

I think 20% probability is a fair assessment in case of Simona.
    Roger forever

Quote Originally Posted by suliso View Post
    I think 20% probability is a fair assessment in case of Simona.
    I’m going 70% for Halep.

Page 328 of 330 FirstFirst ... 78228278303318324325326327328329330 LastLast