Agree Agree:  212
Likes Likes:  373
Page 330 of 330 FirstFirst ... 80230280305320326327328329330
Results 4,936 to 4,943 of 4943

Re: Talk about Rankings (TAR :))

I have analyzed WTA rankings here from time to time lately, but this time let's look at ATP instead. There's nothing to see at the very top, but some interesting insights when looking at the oldest and youngest players in the rankings (limited to top 200 and few notables)

Ten oldest players + everyone over 35+ who has been top 20

#142 Ivo Karlovic (CRO) 41.6
    #4 Roger Federer (SUI) 39.1
    #62 Felician Lopez (ESP) 39
    #140 Paolo Lorenzi (ITA) 38.8
    #93 Philipp Kohlschreiber (GER) 37
    #61 Fernando Verdasco (ESP) 36.9
    #103 Andreas Seppi (ITA) 36.8
    #126 Go Soeda (JPN) 36.1
    #58 Gilles Simon (FRA) 35.8
    #57 Jo-Wilfried Tsonga (FRA) 35.5
    -----
    #217 Tommy Robredo (ESP) 38.4
    #257 Janko Tipsarevic (SRB) 36.3
    #18 Stan Wawrinka (SUI) 35.5
    #23 John Isner (USA) 35.4

Ten highest ranked players under 21

#22 Felix Auger-Alliassime (CAN) 20.1
    #46 Jannik Sinner (ITA) 19.1
    #112 Thiago Seyboth Wild (BRA) 20.6
    #123 Lorenzo Musetti (ITA) 18.6
    #136 Carlos Alcaraz (ESP) 17.4
    #138 Sebastian Korda (USA) 20.2
    #159 Hugo Gaston (FRA) 20
    #203 Brandon Nakashima (USA) 20.2
    #210 Rudolf Molleker (GER) 19.9
    #213 Tomas Machac (CZE) 20

In this latter list four names clearly stand out from the rest - FAA, Sinner, Musetti and Alcaraz. Btw Alcaraz just won his first challenger and Musetti did the same two weeks ago.
    Roger forever

Once this group of oldies, that is perhaps the most successful "old guys that remained in the tour" group ever, retires, will we see a return to "younger" players dominating? Guys winning a slam in their early 20's? I don't see anybody winning a slam in his teens any time soon, but it would be good for the tour to see somebody a bit precocious.
    I think.
    (I don't mind oldies winning. I mean, I can relate to them )
    Last edited by ponchi101; 10-18-2020 at 03:27 PM.
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

I was thinking about this today while watching the Rublev vs Coric match. Both men played well but Rublev, when he was down 2-5 in the first set TB shifted into another gear and pretty much steamrolled Coric the rest of the match.

Rublev is about a year behind where he should be due to injury that caused him to miss a lot of time. I wondered if he will be up to seriously challenging for a Slam next year. Coric has been threatening for a while but based on what I saw today I think he's in the top five of "spoilers" If he can play his "A" game when it's needed.

It's too bad Chung Hyeon is so injury prone. The raw talent there is awesome.

FAA is still maturing mentally.

Shapo? I'm not sure. Youzhny has made a lot of changes to his game but to me he's still processing them.

Musetti just retired mid match with an elbow inury that looked kind of serious.

Sascha? In a way Cologne is a "slam" with two weeks back to back. Lets see if he can pull it off.
    “No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.” – Lily Tomlin.

Quote Originally Posted by suliso View Post
    In this latter list four names clearly stand out from the rest - FAA, Sinner, Musetti and Alcaraz. Btw Alcaraz just won his first challenger and Musetti did the same two weeks ago.
    Alcarez just won his third challenger title, becoming the second youngest player - behind Gasquet - to win three challenger titles. Others right behind him on that list: Auger-Aliassime, Del Potro, and Djokovic.

Besides Alicante, he also won challengers at Barcelona and Trieste this year as well as two ITF titles.
    "The official and decisive text to the Rules of Tennis shall be for ever in the English
    language...." ITF Rules of Tennis 2019

Quote Originally Posted by 3mlm View Post
    Alcarez just won his third challenger title, becoming the second youngest player - behind Gasquet - to win three challenger titles. Others right behind him on that list: Auger-Aliassime, Del Potro, and Djokovic.

Besides Alicante, he also won challengers at Barcelona and Trieste this year as well as two ITF titles.
    Definitely worth keeping an eye on Alcarez. I've noticed that players who place highly on any "youngest to do ____" often have notable careers. I'd expect him to spend a fair amount of time in the top 20, at the least.

I'm very positive on all four guys I singled out albeit in thr case of Alcarez only based on reputation. Haven't seen him play yet. Also note that all four would likely be ranked even higher than they are if not for covid-19.
    Roger forever

This Twitter account did a pretty good breakdown of Djokovic's year end #1 odds. Looks like he only needs to win two matches in Vienna, or one match at the WTF, and that's only if Nadal goes undefeated.

Open Era Rankings
    @OpenEraRankings

Nadal
    maximum point scenario
    Now: 9850
    Without Finals: 9450
    With Paris Trophy (640): 10090
    With Finals Trophy and 3RR Wins (1500): 11590
    ------------------------------
    Djokovic

Now: 11740
    Without 2019 Finals: 11540