Agree Agree:  194
Likes Likes:  308
Page 316 of 316 FirstFirst ... 66216266291306312313314315316
Results 4,726 to 4,739 of 4739

Re: Talk about Rankings (TAR :))

Chris Oddo
    @TheFanChild
    There will be three American men *21 and under* inside the Top 50 (Fritz, Tiafoe, Opelka) on Monday for the first time since 2003.
    There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.”

― Frank Zappa

I have a question. About a week ago, I saw Eugenie Bouchard lose a match to Lauren Davis badly. Today, Bouchard's rank is #112. What is everyone's prediction about the highest singles' rank she will achieve at any time in the future? I'm not sure we'll ever see her much higher than right now, but I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennHarman View Post
    I have a question. About a week ago, I saw Eugenie Bouchard lose a match to Lauren Davis badly. Today, Bouchard's rank is #112. What is everyone's prediction about the highest singles' rank she will achieve at any time in the future? I'm not sure we'll ever see her much higher than right now, but I could be wrong.
    So many variables, it's hard to predict. I hope she can find her 2014 level again. Maybe this wave of Canadian players will inspire her. I feel like anyone who gets to a Wimbledon final has the game to be a consistent Top 50 player. I never liked watching her play, though, because of the aesthetics of her game (let's hold the jokes about the other aesthetics). She kinda reminds me of Roddick, with torquey, herky-jerky motions.
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

I don't think she'll get much higher than she is now. Maybe creep into the top 100 once in a while, but about where she is now is where I expect her to stay in large part. If a turnaround was going to happen, I think it already would've occurred within the last 2 years. She's been at the level where she should be playing challengers and 250s more often than not for a while now, but opts for bigger stuff many times where she flames out early on. I don't see a way to build her ranking with that approach. And even more than that, she's played those levels in recent years and still doesn't win the title, doesn't even make it to the semis and finals regularly when she does drop down at all.

I think it's possibly been determined that her popularity and social media success is too tied to tennis for her to flat out retire. But as long as she keeps it around this level and plays most majors, that is good enough to continue getting enough attention to fuel her marketing career.

Stefanos Tsitipas now in the top 5
    I don't deny myself bread. I have bread every day.

The WTA #1 spot is in play this week.

Barty 6256
    Osaka 6228
    Pliskova 6050

Live ranking has Dimitrov down to #74 with his first round loss this week. He was year end #3 in 2017.

FLASH NEWS
    August 9, 2019

NAOMI OSAKA RECLAIMS WTA WORLD NO.1 RANKING

Naomi Osaka is set to reclaim the WTA World No.1 ranking on Monday, August 12 after reaching the quarterfinals at the Rogers Cup presented by National Bank (Toronto). The Japanese star will end the reign of Ashleigh Barty, who has held the top ranking for seven weeks following back-to-back title runs at Roland Garros and the Nature Valley Classic (Birmingham).

Osaka became the first Japanese player - man or woman - to ascend to World No.1 after capturing her second consecutive Grand Slam at the Australian Open in January, and the 26th player overall. At 21 years, 104 days old, Osaka was the youngest player to make her No.1 debut since 2010 when Caroline Wozniacki achieved this milestone at 20 years, 92 days old.

The 2018 US Open champion has had a successful 12 months, highlighted by her major titles at Flushing Meadows and Melbourne Park. In addition, Osaka reached the final in her home tournament last September at the Toray Pan Pacific Open (Tokyo) and advanced to three semifinals at the 2018 China Open (Beijing), 2019 Brisbane International and 2019 Porsche Tennis Grand Prix (Stuttgart).

Click here to read more on Osaka's rise back to the WTA World No.1 ranking.

Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

And celebrates it...with a loss.
    Thanks for the medal Johanna!

Quote Originally Posted by ptmcmahon View Post
    And celebrates it...with a loss.
    Exactly as she did the first time around. Though this loss was much more understandable.

Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Andreescu moves up to number 8 in the Race to Shenzhen. Incredible, considering how little she's played this year (essentially January, March, one match at the French Open and this week in Toronto). And she has only two (main-draw) match wins at the majors.

Of course, that also speaks to how spread out the results have been on the WTA this year.
    Last edited by Martini4me; 08-11-2019 at 11:33 AM.

I think Serena will be up to 8 this week, which will be good for her USO seeding

Madison Keys back in the top 10 on Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by JTContinental View Post
    Madison Keys back in the top 10 on Monday.
    And Sloane Stephens is out.

Page 316 of 316 FirstFirst ... 66216266291306312313314315316